brolly was he a good footballer or even the 1st cousin of a footballer

Started by the Deel Rover, July 25, 2007, 10:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

with all the talk about brolly i'm just wondering how good was he? i know he played in the 1993 derry team that won the all ireland sure doesn't he tell us that every sunday ;) Did he win an all star? How good was he at club level did his club win the derry championship when he was playing? I do know he blew kisses to the crowd and that his hair wasn't blond ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rick O Shea

Joe must be loving all this attention if he reads this board.

This should get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Brolly

Think anyone can contribute to Wikipedia so the information may not be totally accurate!

Bogball XV

Great player - a truly natural forward imo, blessed with speed and an accurate left boot - he was the missing link without which Derry would not have won the '93 All Ireland.

Hardy

Quote from: Rick O Shea on July 25, 2007, 10:49:07 AM

Think anyone can contribute to Wikipedia so the information may not be totally accurate!

Indeed they can. Have fun. I've made a tiny start.

Maximus Marillius

Quotehe was the missing link without which Derry would not have won the '93 All Ireland

Dont know about that, Derry managed to beat Down (the 91 &94 All Ireland winners) and Donegal current All Ireland champs without him in 93, why would ye feel he was the missing link

But he certainly was very good footballer, he has serious pace and a very accurate left foot

magpie seanie

Bogball XV

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 25, 2007, 10:55:11 AM
Quotehe was the missing link without which Derry would not have won the '93 All Ireland

Dont know about that, Derry managed to beat Down (the 91 &94 All Ireland winners) and Donegal current All Ireland champs without him in 93, why would ye feel he was the missing link

But he certainly was very good footballer, he has serious pace and a very accurate left foot
I thought he was instrumental against Monaghan and Dublin, he gave us something different - remember we'd tried everyman and his dog for that auld top of the right position.  Sheer pace like Brolly had scares the shite out of defenders, and I played against the fecker enough times to know that he had it.

Maximus Marillius

Looking forward to Lynchboy calling him a yellow so and so...wait for it...it doesn'y matter that he could score a bagful...he was yellow so and so ;)

magpie seanie

QuoteLooking forward to Lynchboy calling him a yellow so and so

Aye - I was aware he was perceived as such in Derry. A mate of mine was at the '93 All Ireland final and the Derry bucks were all sayin it. A tough crowd!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 25, 2007, 11:05:28 AM
Looking forward to Lynchboy calling him a yellow so and so...wait for it...it doesn'y matter that he could score a bagful...he was yellow so and so ;)

think it speaks volumes that Eamonn coleman would not start joe against any of the rougher 6 county sides in the ulster championship

great pace, good left foot
but if he was given a few slaps - he went out of the game

I  still woul dhave picked him on my Derry side that year, but only because Derry had enough tough men to look after him

BTW - Brolly is the first cousin of a good footballe (and current Derry player) :)

5 Sams

Joe talks about feeding people farts....his own breath must have been rotten by the time Paul Higgins was finished with him in Celtic Park in 94.
The Aristocrat Years

Maximus Marillius

Lynchboy you really do scare me with your uniformed opinions at TIMES...Brolley...and I thought this was widely known by serious derry folk was not on the Ulster winning team of 93 because he did not committ enough due to his exams, therefore he was not even in the panel against Down, he did come on against Monaghan, but I disagree with Bogball on this....Derry were going to beat Monaghan without getting inot 1st gear, they weren't evn stretched in that game except for a 10 minute spell in the second half and came on in the last 5 against Donegal in the final. It had nothing to do with tuff Ulster football and all to do with exams and time spent on the pitch getting fit enough.

Higgins played him off the park in 94, but Higgins was no where to be seen in 96 and 97 when Joe picked up his All Star awards :P and 98 when he bagged a last minute goal to win the Ulster championship :P :P ;) :D

SuperHans

Dungiven won the Ulster Club in 1997 with him and Geoff McGonigle instrumental in the full forward line. he might have finished top scorer that year in Derry if my memory serves me rite.

The same pair helped derry to an Ulster title a year later against Donegal. Remember that goal Geoff set up then proceeded to pile on him as Brolly tried to kiss to the crowd.

When he was on form brolly was v.good

Maximus Marillius

Lynchboy would tell ye fat Geoff was better than Brolley and that it was every Derry manager and players fault that Geoffrey did not get early ball to make for his lack of pace at county football.......strange