Brolly Feels the Wrath

Started by Barney, July 25, 2007, 08:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louper

Quote from: red hander on July 25, 2007, 04:02:58 PM
And yes, Brolly is a complete w**ker...

hes obviously pissed u off over the years perhaps more with his goals and points than his opinions as a pundit. get over it, dont see too many tyrone hallions bein pundits!

Bensars

its not ajust a tyrone thing. I like him.

Put it this way if your in the pub watching a game and it comes to the half time analysis people will say "hold on a minute to hear what brollys saying", other analysists they couldnt care less about.

I think its taken a bit of time to get his humour. Initially i hated him, but thats before he was on the wind up and he had a lot more stories on tyrone than others. He would often say he was chatting to someone who said x y or z

If you dont like his comments, dont watch his analysis or read his column

ExiledGael

Agree, don't know why some people are getting so upset.
Some of the things I've heard Conor Mortimer say on a football pitch he obviously doesn't give a toss what people think of him, he's a 'big lad', he can take it!
Brolly is there to voice his opinions and tales from the business over the years, says what he thinks, fair enough.
Make a point of reading his stuff every week, it's his opinion nothing more or less, good to read or listen to.

By the way I'd say if Brolly was on here and seen the criticism of his apparently cowardly attitude, he'd probably laugh and agree, and recount some tale where he started a brawl then watched from the sideline as all his teammates took a hammering in the middle of the field

Denn Forever

I have to admit that I enjoy brolly's rants  And I think he is qualified to say these things.  Mayo people seem to be very defensive (paranoid?) about criitisms of their players.  Mortimer is ok, but would he turn a game in Mayo's favour? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnpower

I am all for free speach so I will not complain about analysts . If they tip toed around issues no use having them there . Brolly and Spillane can push it to the limit at times . As someone pointed out this was highlighted in a local Newspaper whoes coverage of GAA when it comes to the inter county scene is usually piss poor almost every where ?.

Elias

I like Joe Brolly, he always speaks his mind, is never fazed by the endless silly comments he has to put up with from his RTE collegues, and will fly the Ulster flag whenever possible.

So he pissed a few Conner M fans from Mayo off with one remark. Get over it I say, it is but one mans opinion  ;)

blast05

QuoteRegarding Mortimer, definitely overrated

Everybody here seems to be in agreement on one thing - that Conor Mort is overrated. So who is it exactly that gives him this high rating in the first place ?? I don't ever recall having a discussion with a Mayo supporter who has claimed Mort is the Messiah and is capable of single handedly changing a game. I don't ever recall reading an article in a paper suggesting the same either. Is it not simply a case that his show boating pisses people off and that his arrogant tone in interview causes people to take a dislike and that somehow a mixture of these 2 things results in people presuming he is in the group of the top 4 or 5 forwards in the country ?

Lets be clear, despite his All-Star ((which was well deserved despite the All-Ireland final flop .... he after all destroyed Joe Higgins and Paul Casey among others)) i don't know of anybody who thinks he is in the absolute top drawer of inter county forwards but to describe him as "no good" is disingenuous ... or at least if he is, then what does that make Casey and Higgins ?

QuoteYou might remember some Cavan posters taking a cut at Conor for gesturing to the crowd in the Mayo v Cavan game at Castlebar.
As i saw it he was gesturing (hands out wide) at a Cavan player who was giving him verbals as he lined up to take a free

QuoteAs for what Brolly said about Conor Mortimer and his marker, isn't he completely correct?
Aggh, no. He wasn't fed on farts etc. but Conor Mort is going to have to put up with this type of jibe from every opponent he comes up against over the next year and no doubt from the odd drunken idjiot that he encounters ... but i'd have to blame the Mayo News for that as much as Brolly

Contrast that with this year where they abjectly fail but the supporters are happy cos the great messiah is "building a new team". Horse.

I think An Spailpin covers this point better than i ever could .... http://spailpin.blogspot.com/2007/07/championship-rolls-on-minus-mayo.html  ...  to summarise "It could be that the county now realises we have a limited cache of Messiahs, and need to make the current one last as long as we can."

QuoteBrolly isnt trying to be controversial, that is just him, he says whatever he he is thinking
Yes, but this is a written article so unless he got someone to type for him as quickly as he was talking

I think Trigs comment on Brollys piece is the most telling .....  how can McGoldrick have been the best player on the pitch if Conor Mort is no good anyway

townof12

the sort of boy Adrian McGuckin had in mind when he said he distrusted boys with 'dyed hair and trendy clothes that scored 2-5 in friendlies'."

Brolly has a short memory about boys attracting attention to themselves; does he not remember blowing kisses to the crowd when he scored the odd goal? a prat then and a prat now!  As for Mortimor being no good due to yer man having a good game on him, does this mean brolly was no good after paul higgins made acquaintances with him in celtic park in 94?

Bensars

Quote from: townof12 on July 25, 2007, 10:37:50 PM
the sort of boy Adrian McGuckin had in mind when he said he distrusted boys with ‘dyed hair and trendy clothes that scored 2-5 in friendlies’.”

Brolly has a short memory about boys attracting attention to themselves; does he not remember blowing kisses to the crowd when he scored the odd goal? a prat then and a prat now!  As for Mortimor being no good due to yer man having a good game on him, does this mean brolly was no good after paul higgins made acquaintances with him in celtic park in 94?

Insightful first post.
::)
Im always weary of first posts in topics a few pages deep.

Me thinks someone has used a pseudoname ::)

mick999

In the same article Brolly said this about himself blowing kisses after scoring a goal in Celtic Park:

To the best of my knowledge it is the first lobbed goal in Celtic Park since I hoodwinked the Meath goalie in a league play-off in 1998.
"F...k!" he shouted, as the ball looped over his fingertips. It had been a bad tempered contest and the goal won it for us with a few minutes to go. I turned and ran out the field, blowing kisses and pointing at the foot. BBC showed footage of the incident recently and even I cringed!
Anyway, the antics came to an end when Colm Coyle (now Meath manager) put his boot in my leg and left me needing stitches. As I was coming into the dressing room afterwards, Brian Mullins said to me: "You deserved that you little bollocks!"
Memories, memories

He knows he was acting the bollix with his blowing kisses and Colm Coyle and even his manager Mullins let him know that  :)

Tubberman

Mortimer has replied to Brolly's article. Fair enough comments from Conor. He didn't feel the need to stoop to Brolly's level  ;)

MAYO ace Conor Mortimer has described scathing personal criticism from TV pundit and former Derry star Joe Brolly as "disrespectful."

Brolly lambasted Mortimer following Mayo's qualifier defeat against Derry in a 'Gaelic Life' magazine article.

Brolly said that 2006 All-Star Mortimer, who finished as his county's top championship scorer again this year, is "no good anyway" and that his Derry marker in the recent qualifier, Michael McGoldrick, had put him in his pocket "and fed him on farts."

Brolly's criticism has enraged football fans in Mayo and county board secretary Seán Feeney described the comments as "way over the top."

Mortimer, who scored 0-14 in three championship outings this summer, was made aware of Brolly's criticism by friends.

And he said: "It's disrespectful, especially coming from a so-called GAA person. But the only opinions that really matter to me are from people close to me and genuine Mayo football supporters. Joe Brolly's opinions don't register with me to be honest.

"I accept that he's there to do a job, but he hasn't annoyed me personally. Other people have commented on what he said to me and that's how I became aware of what he said."

DCU student Mortimer landed 0-6 against Galway in the Connacht SFC, 0-7 against Cavan in the qualifiers and a point in the Derry defeat.

And he vowed that Mayo will regroup and bounce back strongly from this year's disappointing campaign.

He added: "The break will do us good. We'll come back fresh again and we'll be contenders, with renewed enthusiasm."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

Ok, it was pretty sensationalist journalism from the Mayo News. There is no real "outrage" in Mayo, nobody knew of the comments until they read the Mayo News!

Brolly is entitled to his opinion but its a bit too personal. Nobody will lose much sleep over it though. It does annoy me that all pundits on RTE are negative about every aspect of the game.

To see Conor is just "no good" is a bit ridiculous. In two games last year he scored 6 points off Joe Higgins, against Dublin it was 4 off Paul Griffin. Two players widely respected on here. He is not top drawer, but considering his size he is making the very best of his talents. I'm sure plenty of counties would be happy to have him on board.

On that AI issue any Mayo fan will tell you that '96 was the one that got away. In '97 we did not play well after the Galway game, and in 2004 and 2006 while the performances were gutless we met a far superior team. I don't blame any neutral supporter for hoping that Mayo don't get to the big day again. We have ruined the showpiece for neutrals on two of the last three years. But there is an extreme reaction to Mayo football - when we lose a big game you would swear we were of a similar standard to London or New York!

blast05

QuoteIn '97 we did not play well after the Galway game

Barney, short memory. I would put the Offaly performance in the semi final as the most complete performance under Maughan.

spiritof91and94

the sort of boy Adrian McGuckin had in mind when he said he distrusted boys with 'dyed hair and trendy clothes that scored 2-5 in friendlies'."

Just what I had in mind as I read this thread... Higgins ate him or gassed him on FARTS!!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair dues to him (Conor Mortimer), he's risen above it all with not a little dignity. Maith sé. 
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...