Brolly Feels the Wrath

Started by Barney, July 25, 2007, 08:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

That's better than I expected. An honours mark.

Hardy

Of course. But, if we did, and if we wrote about them in the paper, what do you think Joe's reaction would be?

magpie seanie

QuoteHow did I do?

Underplaying your hand seems to be the new Meath (well certainly Hardy) way!

There is a huge difference between saying a guy is not a good footballer and making remarks about a guys character.

stephenite

As I've said above - if Brolly only said he wasn't a good footballer I don't think we'd be having this discussion - it was the language he used and the way he used it. THere is a difference between Brolly saying " Conor Mortimer is not a good footballer " and " he fed him on farts "

Maybe I'm being a bit precious - but I'm trying to look at it from the point of view of Conor having every clown in the street laughing at him and making comments about who's farts he had for dinner for the rest of the year. From that point of view alone I don't know that there is a huge difference in terms of the effects that pundits comments can have on players - an amateur ones at that.

But at this stage Joe has got exactly he wanted - a two page thread on Gaaboard.com - the **** ;)

rrhf

Brollys comments are hilarious.  Everyone can now have a dig at Conor Mortimer..Unfairly possibly its always a matter of opinion..
I watched Mortimer in the all Ireland final against Kerry,, I believe he opted out... stayed out of the game and I believe  he was my numero one of a number of players who showed they werent good players that day, who were prepared to abdicate their reponsibilities who were not prepared to give it al or take it on for their county,  I read an interview one time where he had an almost arrogant level of belief in his own ability.  Last September as he ran backwards from the scoring zone soloing the ball  I realised that it was misplaced and illusionary self belief.  Like a bad singer on pop idol who always believed they were star quality.  Do Mayo not now realise that it was the players not the managers who lose them all Irelands. (ask M Moran) As for Mortimer - do Leopards change spots.  I gave him age that day but 1 year later he's still at it.  Brollys flair for language is amusing and unkind, but the underlying message is the same and its laced with truth.
The statement to feed a player farts is very funny though as well.   

Tubberman

QuoteBrollys comments are hilarious.  Everyone can now have a dig at Conor Mortimer..Unfairly possibly its always a matter of opinion..
I watched Mortimer in the all Ireland final against Kerry,, I believe he opted out... stayed out of the game and I believe  he was my numero one of a number of players who showed they werent good players that day, who were prepared to abdicate their reponsibilities who were not prepared to give it al or take it on for their county,  I read an interview one time where he had an almost arrogant level of belief in his own ability.  Last September as he ran backwards from the scoring zone soloing the ball  I realised that it was misplaced and illusionary self belief.  Like a bad singer on pop idol who always believed they were star quality.  Do Mayo not now realise that it was the players not the managers who lose them all Irelands. (ask M Moran) As for Mortimer - do Leopards change spots.  I gave him age that day but 1 year later he's still at it.  Brollys flair for language is amusing and unkind, but the underlying message is the same and its laced with truth.
The statement to feed a player farts is very funny though as well.

Pat Spillane's opinion of Tyrone's style of football in 2003 was that it was 'puke football'.
4 years later, Tyrone (and most of Ulster) are still whingeing about it - Pat is such a p***k and has a vendetta against Ulster etc etc (yawn)
Yet, when Brolly makes insulting remarks about an individual amateur (not a team) it's fair enough, even 'hilarious' according to some.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BallyhaiseMan

has Joe Brolly emerged from Gerry Sheridan back pocket where he was lodged in the Ulster Final in 1997 yet?  :-*

Joe should know a fair bit about being put in a back pockets  ;)

rrhf

right Ive had enough of this.  I have attended the 97; 2004 and 2006 all Ireland finals featureing Mayo.  Missing the the 96 final because of erm.. injury.   My experience is this Mayo phenomenon of complete collapse in finals is both mental and physical.  Men who put their shoulders wide in semi finals look half their normal size in the finals.  I have already said on this board Im not for another final with Mayo in it.  What annoyed me most was that their fans dont blame the players.. they blame the managers.  Mayo could have bounced back this year - they have the talent, but they are always abdicating responsibility and last years AIF defeat was deeemd to be a management problem.    Its time the players were deemed culpable for their end of the bargain. 
Whilst Brollys comments were rude and wrong they would be more appropriate for a pub arguement than a paper, thats what Brolly does and it is funny.  In a round about way i believe hes sticking up for Mickey Moran.       

trig

The issue is not about criticising Conor Mortimer, it is the manner in which it is done, as I said earlier if he wasn't a decent player in the first place people wont have high expectations of him
I think Mayo GAA secretary Sean Feeney summed it up best when he said "Unless you're controversial, they don't want you on The Sunday Game. Sometimes you just wonder what depths people will descend to in order to become controversial and stir it up"
when Brolly came on the scene first as a analysed he brought a refreshing change with his flair for language etc. However, as others has aludded to any reasoned analysis he may once have had has now given way to cheap comments in attempts to be funnny or stir up controversy or both.

orangeman

As I said in the full back proble thread, there's more wrong with Mayo than a full back problem, and there's more wrong with Mayo last week than Mortimer having a poor game.

magpie seanie

QuoteWhat annoyed me most was that their fans dont blame the players.. they blame the managers.

Contrast that with this year where they abjectly fail but the supporters are happy cos the great messiah is "building a new team". Horse. Counties like Mayo have loads of talent and shouldn't be getting hammered by anyone.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rrhf on July 25, 2007, 12:58:59 PM
In a round about way i believe hes sticking up for Mickey Moran.       

Brolly isn't sticking up for Mickey Moran. You are. Which is fair enough, of course.

As for what Brolly said about Conor Mortimer and his marker, isn't he completely correct? Isn't that exactly what happened?

Storm in a teacup. Michael Commins looking for a handy column for himself in the Mayo News. This sort of stuff has passed most people by in Mayo - in other years, after so few All-Star nominations in 2004, the wailing would have been long and loud. I don't remember anybody at home complaining at the time though, as we all realised that performance counts, and Mayo didn't perform.

It's interesting that it's Joe Brolly, of all people, having his little cut at C-Mort. You might remember some Cavan posters taking a cut at Conor for gesturing to the crowd in the Mayo v Cavan game at Castlebar. When I read it, I immediately thought of Brolly in his blowing kisses days. Brolly backed up the showboating, as another thread here testifies. Conor doesn't. That's the difference. If people want to Brolly to stop picking on Conor, tell him to put McGoldrick in his pocket and feed him on farts next time Mayo play Derry in the Championship. Otherwise, you have to take your licking.

Msgr. Horan

Slightly off topic, but seeing as some of the comments are relating to Mayo in AIF's thought I'd comment on that. 97 was hardly a collapse.
2004 and 2006 certainly were and the players have to take 75% of the responsibility for both performances. however, I know for a fact that tactically nothing was done to attempt to counteract Kerry's big threat before the final in 2006. The tactic was the Heaney was to try and break the ball away from Doheny down to Nallen. Genius. While that was the most obvious failing on the day there were plenty more all over the pitch. The obvious answer to me before the game was to put McGarrity on him, and start Brady. The thing Mayo have to avoid that day was a good start from Kerry and even if Brady hadnt lasted a full game, which he probably wouldnt have, he would have given a solid enough first half where Mayo might have been competitive.
There were similar failings in 2004 but I dont think they were all down to the players. The biggest thing, besides tactics, in my humble opinion, that wasnt addressed for 2006 was the collapse of 2004. If that chapter hadnt been succesfully closed off in the players heads as in, THIS is why that happened and here is how we make sure it cant happen again, they would have gone out there with the thought in the back of their heads that we dont know why this happened, so it can happen again. Then Kerry started running riot again and it was, as they say, deja vue all over again. The 2006 final was like someone added 70 odd minutes to the 2004 final as Kerry were having exactly the same successes in exactly the same places.
The Mayo players were entirely responsible for not taking the game by the scruff of the neck in the first 10 mins of the second half, they were only 5 point down despite the debacle of the first half and for that 10 mins Kerry almost paused to see what would happen. If mayo had managed two or three quck scores, or at least had shaken things up a bit then Kerry might have started to wonder. Anyway, thats like saying if me aunt had balls she'd be me uncle. Must go back to sleep now.

Romeo

These 2 pages just prove what Brolly is all about. He's using the Eamonn Dunphy method of being controversial for controversy sake, doesn't matter what he's saying as long as he's winding people up. It get's the ratings/reading no.s up and that works for his employers and keeps his paychecks coming in.

red hander

'Pat Spillane's opinion of Tyrone's style of football in 2003 was that it was 'puke football'.
4 years later, Tyrone (and most of Ulster) are still whingeing about it -'

No we're not ... we shoved his words right down his big gob in 2005 when we again made wee men of his beloved Kerry in Croke Park.
And yes, Brolly is a complete w**ker...