Travellers and the GAA

Started by Hollow Man, July 23, 2007, 12:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

nice girls, if a traveller was good enough i would forgive him any sins and have him play for the county.Played against an itinerant club in dublin one time and they had a few good players.

full back

I think you should edit your last post 5Times, Laoislad was fond of more than a few of them ;)

Canalman

Travellers' team in Dublin was called Pavee Gaels which (I think) became St Christopher Gaels. They used to play in St Vincents CBS grounds in Glasnevin and were a junior team in the lower leagues and run by a Priest/Christian Brother.
Played them away some years ago wnen to my dismay our midfielder started boxing the head off one of their players.Baaaad move, so I thought but the rest of their team waded in to break it up. They seemed a sound bunch, certainly alot better behaved than some so called "settled" teams in the vicinity.
I think they folded some years ago.

You will always see Dublin flags flying from the  halting sites when Dublin are doing well in Championship.(cue alot of "witticisms" from our Anti Dub posters).

Handball Ace

This isn't a dig but I remember reading in Tom Humphries book Green Fields that traveller teasm always wear either Offaly or meath colours, whatever the reason is for that...

Datsun Donaghy

Quotewould you bate me?
I'll busht you sham.
I'll drop you like a spare tire if ya don't f off.
Will ya buy a gate?
Will ya but carpet?

Bad  news wherever they camp, shite in gardens and i mean human shite,rubbish, a burnt car, oil cans and a dead pony and 2 dead dogs left in one campsite when they had to move because a farmer sprayed slurry in a field near the camp.
If I done half the things they do  I would end up in jail, the gardai are terrified of them and rightly so, they have no manners and zero respect for themselves or anybody else.
Imagine the yoke that would shite in someones garden in broad daylight.

Is it not way past the time that this thread should've been dumped along with the racist comments ? - I'm surprised nobody has called for a Nazi style Ultimate Solution!

Are the only people in jail Travellers?
Do any cars get burnt out by people from the settled community?
Can animals only be killed / maimed by Travellers? ( Are any of the Tyrone county players included?)

Wake up and smell the coffee - there are wee shits in every community capable of any of the above and much worse - most of the Travelling Community are sound folk, with a culture which is similar but alittle different to our own - no doubt they have an element who give the rest a bad name but that probably makes them more like us than we want to admit!

This was always a disaster of a thread which has fcuk all to do with gaelic games!!!!!!!!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Wee Roddy on July 23, 2007, 01:07:42 PM
Do not bite the head off me hear folks but the rumour around our part of the world is that Ciaran McDonald is one! There are a few who played very successfully for Pomeroy over the years as well.

wtf are you on about you tool, where is your part of the world anyway? you would want to get your facts right before writing such shite? i know his family all my life and what you wrote is utter shite yet you feel you can just write want you want about a person you don't know get your facts right you gobshite ??? ???
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

Deel rover, he is only looking to get a response and you gave it.I know macs brother and have only ever good of his family.Mac himself is the height of gentleman both on the field and to fans and kids.
Did john maughan have a brother called ronan?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mannix on July 25, 2007, 10:10:55 AM
Deel rover, he is only looking to get a response and you gave it.I know macs brother and have only ever good of his family.Mac himself is the height of gentleman both on the field and to fans and kids.
Did john maughan have a brother called ronan?

ye your right mannix i'll say no more,  ronan god rest him was john maughans 1st cousin ,he was a great person and a footballer footballer and would definately have played with the county seniors.Did you know Ronan?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

laceer

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 25, 2007, 10:05:19 AM
Do not bite the head off me hear folks but the rumour around our part of the world is that Ciaran McDonald is one! There are a few who played very successfully for Pomeroy over the years as well.

wtf are you on about you tool, where is your part of the world anyway? you would want to get your facts right before writing such shite? i know his family all my life and what you wrote is utter shite yet you feel you can just write want you want about a person you don't know get your facts right you gobshite ??? ???

am from near roddy's part of the world and heard the same rumour myself about mcdonald.it doesn't mean i'm a tool.doesn't really matter a f**k anyway-love watching him play.pure natural..

the Deel Rover

Quote from: laceer on July 25, 2007, 11:32:53 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 25, 2007, 10:05:19 AM

am from near roddy's part of the world and heard the same rumour myself about mcdonald.it doesn't mean i'm a tool.doesn't really matter a f**k anyway-love watching him play.pure natural..

he is a tool for writing such shite
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ludermor

DR ,
calm down man your nearly as big a fool for rising to it.

Wee Roddy

Look I really am sorry if i offended anyone with that staement but it was meant as more of a question! I did ask that no one would bite my head off. I like you Laceer think he is a pure genius.
Once agai ni am sorry if i offended anyone. My post are never meant to do so.

Model Hammer

I had read this thread yesterday and was a bit alarmed that so much bollocks had been allowed to be uttered unchallenged. Thankfully some voices of reason entered the debate (!) since ....

To answer the question, when I was in Wexford there were some fantastic Traveller hurlers, all settled, as I'm sure most Travellers are these days. How else would they be able to play with a club regularly?? Some got as far as the Junior/Intermediate County Team, and I think I can recall one or two who made the Senior panel for the League at least.

For some reason some of these guys never made it the whole way. In my opinion there were two reasons:

1. If it's not too much of a generalisation, some tended to be less inclined to pass the ball, it was in their nature to do as much as they could themselves.

2. More significant I'm sure was the kind of bigotry that so many contributors to this thread have revealed. This was clearly present in the PTB of the GAA as much as the wider community.

I can think of a few lads that would certainly walk on to the current team!