Super Dubs once again Biggest Crowd pullers

Started by Tankie, July 09, 2007, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2007, 09:24:24 PM
Yes, but for Antrim, you'd probably have to discount at least 60-70% of the population to get a better idea of the population that would play/have an interest in/have schools who participate in GAA.

Ah, I see. So when calculating the pool for potential GAA fans in a particular county, you discount people who have no interest in the GAA - except in Dublin. Thanks for that.

Maguire01

Quote from: deiseach on July 09, 2007, 09:34:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2007, 09:24:24 PM
Yes, but for Antrim, you'd probably have to discount at least 60-70% of the population to get a better idea of the population that would play/have an interest in/have schools who participate in GAA.

Ah, I see. So when calculating the pool for potential GAA fans in a particular county, you discount people who have no interest in the GAA - except in Dublin. Thanks for that.

Well no, obviously.  But it's a bigger issue in northern counties. 

johnpower

Thanks Super Dubs we are so gratefull to you all , Look at the population you guys have you could easily have 2 teams . Remember the proposal a  number of years back . Indeed one recently retired Dublin player thought there were some merits on the proposal pointing out that it had seemed to work ok for Meath and Westmeath.

Fishead_Sam

2004 Mayo V Fermanagh

55,000 Mayo fans attend representing 46% of our entire population. Some parts of Mayo are 1-1&half hours West of Castlebar, on a quite day with  light traffic Castlebar is 3&half hours from Dublin{5 hours+ from some parts of the County}. Only 1 normal train runs early enough in the morning to reach Dublin in time for a match (sometimes a second special match train) train service only accessable to circa 30% of Mayo population.

Fermanagh had an even higher percentage of their Nationalist population.

Now compare that the Dublin where you can fall out of bed an hour before a game and still get there early(if you choose) using public transport, I know its very very very easy to do so, I used to live in the Southside of Dublin & go to Croker every weekend Mayo where not playing a game elsewhere.

Tankie

Quote from: Tankie on July 09, 2007, 09:26:29 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2007, 09:16:36 PM
Using the approximate figures below for comparison:

Monaghan - Population 55,000
Dublin - Population 1186,000

A crowd of 82,000 Dubs represents approx 6.7% of the county's population.
If only 6.7% of Monaghan's population was to turn up, there'd be a grand total of 3685 at their games.

I know these are very crude measurements, but 82,000 looks much less impressive when you do consider the population differences.
Yes, the Dubs do bring great support and money to the games (although not always in time for the start of the game  :P ), but to ignore the population in your analysis just doesn't work.

And how any of that population figure are actual Dubs?

Lads I note all your stats but i am still waiting for the Dublin figure when you take the Foreign Nationals, Foreign economic migrants and culchies out of the Dublin population what is the figure.

Also i see some figures being thrown out for mayo having 55k fans at a game, Dublin had 70k at a Leinster Q/F! for a match that really got the publics imagination which was a Leinster Q/F replay there were not enough tickets!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Fishead_Sam

Its far harder to take 55,000 (of a total pop. of 120,000)fans from at closest 120 miles - 200 miles+ (depending what part of Mayo) with most returning home from a County with virtually no proper public transport system to Croker than to get 70,000 Dubs most no more than 5 miles away from a population of 1.2 million to Croker. Also remember alot of them are neutrals living in Dublin, before you respond to that they go to matches in Croker whether Dublin is playing or not. To get to a match in Croker from Castlebar for example which is in the centre of Mayo you have to be up out of your bed to attend the match before 7 am (half 5 from places like Achill, Louisbourg, or Belmullet) compare this to most of Dublins fans who can get out of bet @ 12.30 or 1pm, head down the pub & still get to the match on time (if they are bothered)

Tankie

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 11:09:28 PM
Its far harder to take 55,000 (of a total pop. of 120,000)fans from at closest 120 miles - 200 miles+ (depending what part of Mayo) with most returning home from a County with virtually no proper public transport system to Croker than to get 70,000 Dubs most no more than 5 miles away from a population of 1.2 million to Croker. Also remember alot of them are neutrals living in Dublin, before you respond to that they go to matches in Croker whether Dublin is playing or not. To get to a match in Croker from Castlebar for example which is in the centre of Mayo you have to be up out of your bed to attend the match before 7 am (half 5 from places like Achill, Louisbourg, or Belmullet) compare this to most of Dublins fans who can get out of bet @ 12.30 or 1pm, head down the pub & still get to the match on time (if they are bothered)

as i've said these 55k are willing to hit the road when its well into the campionship, where are these 55k when it come to the provincial final. also the last time dublin had to travel i think was 2001 and huge numbers traveled, i think there was 35k in thurles and that was before the band wagon got rolling and hadnt won a Leinster in 6 years.

but i will say that mayo have great support and have a lot of time for their fans, i was at the league game in castlebar and there was a huge crowd there.
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Tankie on July 09, 2007, 11:29:06 PM

as i've said these 55k are willing to hit the road when its well into the campionship, where are these 55k when it come to the provincial final. also the last time dublin had to travel i think was 2001 and huge numbers traveled, i think there was 35k in thurles and that was before the band wagon got rolling and hadnt won a Leinster in 6 years.

but i will say that mayo have great support and have a lot of time for their fans, i was at the league game in castlebar and there was a huge crowd there.

Mayo tends to take 20,000 plus to Connacht Semis & Finals away from home, in every league game Mayo played this year they had more or an equal number of fans as the home fans in all venues except Tyrone when we had already qualified & it was a crunch game for the home team, & still we had a good number in comparrison. (strangely the interest seemed to drop for the Final). When we where down in Cork a few Cork people told me there was more Mayo people (and far more vocal too) than when the last time the Dubs visited, remember it is 5&half hours min by car from Castlebar. We did not have a comfy public transport train to take us home, but long poor roads.

I and most GAA people accept that the Dubs have great fans, but many counties can match or beat them, Cork hurling, Mayo, Tyrone & Armagh football for example, Kildare & Meath fans usually good too.

stew

Super Dubs need to mix in a feckin AI win, it's been a while thank God.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tankie

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 09, 2007, 11:38:15 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 09, 2007, 11:29:06 PM

Mayo tends to take 20,000 plus to Connacht Semis & Finals away from home, in every league game Mayo played this year they had more or an equal number of fans as the home fans in all venues except Tyrone when we had already qualified & it was a crunch game for the home team, & still we had a good number in comparrison. (strangely the interest seemed to drop for the Final). When we where down in Cork a few Cork people told me there was more Mayo people (and far more vocal too) than when the last time the Dubs visited, remember it is 5&half hours min by car from Castlebar. We did not have a comfy public transport train to take us home, but long poor roads.

I and most GAA people accept that the Dubs have great fans, but many counties can match or beat them, Cork hurling, Mayo, Tyrone & Armagh football for example, Kildare & Meath fans usually good too.

Do most GAA people really think that about the dubs. this board is full of insults and slander about really dublin gaa fans. just look at the previous post, some p***k throws a bottle and its thrown up against real dublin fans. why dont we start slagging mayo fans over their 'FIRM', because we all no Mayo gaa fan aint into it.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 09, 2007, 11:33:08 PM
And what great fans the Dubs are too as the clip below shows ::)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6hES9I31QGM

Laoislad you've been on this board some time i respect your opinions on GAA matters but you constant negativity towards the dubs is pissing me off . Could you not work a Coke reference into the above or are you saving it for a other thread?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

you're dealing with half-heads like laois lad and the rest of his cronies who are doing their best to wind you up -don't indulge them and let them get back to their kindergarten. Like i said they'd be the first to be whingeing if they didn't have enough money to build a clubhouse etc. People can say what they like but 6m in hard cash is the bottom line.
Laois lad is great at putting up pics of dublin fans but the reason i go to the Hill is because of Laois fans- after nearly getting a glass bottle in the head thrown by some scum from laois in 2003 - i decided whatever rabble inhabit the hill couldn't be any worse than those thugs. The biggest pricks I've ever come across as Gaa fans are from laois - real angry gits and some of the abuse i've seen them heap on their own players is 10 times worse than any thug ii've stood beside in the Hill. Some of them are every bit as bad as some of the scumbags we get on the Hill.

mannix

Lets see now, if Johnny has 1.1 million marbles and Tommo has 65,000 thousand marbles who has the most marbles.Remember now Tommo is from the country where marbles are easily played and Johnny is from a big town where even if it was easy to play they still would be useless.
Dangit,no matter how I divide or subtract Johnny still has more marbles.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2007, 12:07:45 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 09, 2007, 11:33:08 PM
And what great fans the Dubs are too as the clip below shows ::)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6hES9I31QGM

Laoislad you've been on this board some time i respect your opinions on GAA matters but you constant negativity towards the dubs is pissing me off . Could you not work a Coke reference into the above or are you saving it for a other thread?

Jaysis relax Gnevin im only having a laugh i don't mean any of it,Sure aren't i going out with/living in sin with a lovely Dublin girl from Bailinteer and my sister in law is from Raheeny
Sure ye'll have yer own back when ye hammer us on sunday

Quote from: INDIANA on July 10, 2007, 12:15:04 AM
you're dealing with half-heads like laois lad and the rest of his cronies who are doing their best to wind you up -don't indulge them and let them get back to their kindergarten. Like i said they'd be the first to be whingeing if they didn't have enough money to build a clubhouse etc. People can say what they like but 6m in hard cash is the bottom line.
Laois lad is great at putting up pics of dublin fans but the reason i go to the Hill is because of Laois fans- after nearly getting a glass bottle in the head thrown by some scum from laois in 2003 - i decided whatever rabble inhabit the hill couldn't be any worse than those thugs. The biggest pricks I've ever come across as Gaa fans are from laois - real angry gits and some of the abuse i've seen them heap on their own players is 10 times worse than any thug ii've stood beside in the Hill. Some of them are every bit as bad as some of the scumbags we get on the Hill.

Your just a tool INDIANA ::) How many times now have i heard your story about your experience with Laois fans as if i gave a f**k.I have said on numerous occasions every county has their fair share of bad eggs not least Laois,Just seems most posters can take a bit of banter not you though it seems
As for your comment about Laois fans being real angry gits......Eh ever hear the story about the pot calling the kettle black?
You'll Never Walk Alone.