Super Dubs once again Biggest Crowd pullers

Started by Tankie, July 09, 2007, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

QuoteCroker already sold out
07 July 2007

The Leinster Council has confirmed that the provincial football decider between Dublin and Laois is now a sell-out and has admitted that demand has comprehensively exceeded supply.

All reserves of tickets have emptied after Laois sold their allocation in record time and as a result there was no public sale of tickets from the Laois County Board.

Dublin's allocation of 25,000 tickets wasn't nearly enough to satisfy demand from clubs in the Capital and the County Board could have sold close to double that figure.

The sell-out ensures that 320,000 fans will have witnessed Dublin's Leinster campaign after three bumper Croke Park crowds for their two tussles' with Meath and their semi-final defeat of Offaly.

I think its offical that we are pretty much bank-rolling every other county in Leinster!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Great to see so many interest in GAA in Dublin.
I wonder if they will have 3 or 4 games on before the 1/4 final (if and when dublin get there)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on July 09, 2007, 07:55:14 PM
07 July 2007

The Leinster Council has confirmed that the provincial football decider between Dublin and Laois is now a sell-out and has admitted that demand has comprehensively exceeded supply.

All reserves of tickets have emptied after Laois sold their allocation in record time and as a result there was no public sale of tickets from the Laois County Board.

Dublin's allocation of 25,000 tickets wasn't nearly enough to satisfy demand from clubs in the Capital and the County Board could have sold close to double that figure.

The sell-out ensures that 320,000 fans will have witnessed Dublin's Leinster campaign after three bumper Croke Park crowds for their two tussles' with Meath and their semi-final defeat of Offaly.

I think its offical that we are pretty much bank-rolling every other county in Leinster!
quite an achievement considering your population.   ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 09, 2007, 08:20:58 PM
07 July 2007

What's population got to do with it. I don't see 80,000 turning up to see London or NY play
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2007, 08:23:50 PM
What's population got to do with it. I don't see 80,000 turning up to see London or NY play

No Gaelic grounds in London or NY holds 80,000 Gnevin ;)
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

07 July 2007

Bitter as a lemon pintsofguinness! :-X
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: ziggysego on July 09, 2007, 08:34:27 PM

Ok but their a city's in UK and Europe that have over 2 million people and the local soccer team wouldnt get anywhere near 20,000 let alone 80,000 and its not like following the Dubs is a sure thing . Like the bigger clubs in the uk

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on July 09, 2007, 08:41:27 PM
07 July 2007

Bitter as a lemon pintsofguinness! :-X

I'm very pleasant actually.

Don't talk such shite about bank rolling every other county in Leinster when you clearly start out with quite an advantage!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2007, 08:48:16 PM

Ok but their a city's in UK and Europe that have over 2 million people and the local soccer team wouldnt get anywhere near 20,000 let alone 80,000 and its not like following the Dubs is a sure thing . Like the bigger clubs in the uk

How can you compare dublin GAA with London or New York?
Firstly, it's largely only ex-pats who play/watch GAA outside Ireland. Secondly, London has how many premiership clubs? (I honestly don't know - i'm not into soccer, but i know there's a few and would guess that if there was only one, they'd hardly have a problem topping 80,000) You're argument doesn't really stand up.
You can't separate the level of support for Dublin from the fact that it has over 20% of the country's population.

Gnevin

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2007, 09:02:33 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2007, 08:48:16 PM

How can you compare dublin GAA with London or New York?
Firstly, it's largely only ex-pats who play/watch GAA outside Ireland. Secondly, London has how many premiership clubs? (I honestly don't know - i'm not into soccer, but i know there's a few and would guess that if there was only one, they'd hardly have a problem topping 80,000) You're argument doesn't really stand up.
You can't separate the level of support for Dublin from the fact that it has over 20% of the country's population.
I wasnt seriously comparing Dublin GAA and London or NY , i just hate this population argument .
At the end of the day their are many soccer/rugby/other sports clubs in parts of the world  with far larger populations who would love to get 20,000 in crowds let alone 80,000

Maguire01

Using the approximate figures below for comparison:

Monaghan - Population 55,000
Dublin - Population 1186,000

A crowd of 82,000 Dubs represents approx 6.7% of the county's population.
If only 6.7% of Monaghan's population was to turn up, there'd be a grand total of 3685 at their games.

I know these are very crude measurements, but 82,000 looks much less impressive when you do consider the population differences.
Yes, the Dubs do bring great support and money to the games (although not always in time for the start of the game  :P ), but to ignore the population in your analysis just doesn't work.

deiseach

Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2007, 09:07:36 PM
I wasnt seriously comparing Dublin GAA and London or NY , i just hate this population argument .
At the end of the day their are many soccer/rugby/other sports clubs in parts of the world  with far larger populations who would love to get 20,000 in crowds let alone 80,000

Having a small population has never done Kilkenny any harm.
Having a large population has never done Antrim any good.

As you say, population isn't everything.

Maguire01

Quote from: deiseach on July 09, 2007, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2007, 09:07:36 PM

Having a small population has never done Kilkenny any harm.
Having a large population has never done Antrim any good.

As you say, population isn't everything.

Yes, but for Antrim, you'd probably have to discount at least 60-70% of the population to get a better idea of the population that would play/have an interest in/have schools who participate in GAA.

Tankie

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2007, 09:16:36 PM
Using the approximate figures below for comparison:

Monaghan - Population 55,000
Dublin - Population 1186,000

A crowd of 82,000 Dubs represents approx 6.7% of the county's population.
If only 6.7% of Monaghan's population was to turn up, there'd be a grand total of 3685 at their games.

I know these are very crude measurements, but 82,000 looks much less impressive when you do consider the population differences.
Yes, the Dubs do bring great support and money to the games (although not always in time for the start of the game  :P ), but to ignore the population in your analysis just doesn't work.

And how any of that population figure are actual Dubs?
Grand Slam Saturday!

IolarCoisCuain

Every year, before nearly every Dublin championship match, we have to look at stuff like this. I don't think I'm the only one that's tired of it; let's see if we can settle it once and for all.

Now, the first thing we need to understand is the concept of per capita; it's important in statistics to be able to tell the difference between how much something affects a group of people and the rate at which it affects that same group of people. I found a link to help you fellas get this. It's written for journalists originally - the poor eejit that wrote it probably doesn't even know there's such a thing as a "Dub" - but it should get the point across.

http://www.robertniles.com/stats/percap.shtml

Got all that? The important thing isn't that eighty thousand are going to Croke Park; it's much more interesting to know what that works out per capita. At what rate are the Super Dubs the biggest crowd pullers.

Now, I notice that Tankie clearly thinks that the only people in the ground will be supporting Dublin. This is not the case. It is the Leinster Final, and therefore it's the Leinster total population that counts. After all, as I said on another thread, you Dubs wouldn't like to be in there in Croker just playing with yourselves, now would you? Happily we have the latest census figures to hand from the CSO, to help us do our sums:

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Working it out on the back of an envelope, we see that the Leinster Final will have a per capita attendance rate of 3.49% ((80,000/2295123)*100 of course). Three point four nine per cent of the available population of super Dubs, once again the biggest crowd pullers, will attend the Leinster final - not on time of course, but who owns a watch in these hard times? So is this the best in the country?

If Doctor Hyde Park holds 30,000, the Connacht Final had a per capita attendance of 5.95% yesterday. Much better than the Super Dubs.

It's 30,000 odd for Kilarney too, isn't it? That a Munster per capita of 2.55%, worse than Leinster, but not as good as Connacht.

Sadly, we can't do the sums for Ulster as we are limited to Free State statistics, so we have to end it there. But I think it's fair to conclude, my learned colleagues all, that this super Dubs one again biggest crowd pleasers stuff is all of dubious legitimacy. QED.  ;)