Started by Mourne Rover, June 07, 2007, 10:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Tá brón orm an scéal seo a chloisteáil.
Go mbeidh an bua agat a Eamonn a chara.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

slow corner back

All I can do is echo the sentiments expressed earlier. A true gael I wish him godspeed in his recovery.

Lecale2

twotwocharlie

Sound man .Get well soon.

ExiledGael

RIP Eamon, the GAA has lost a legend

Square Ball

a character and a half. RIP
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Where's you hear he died Exiled?

Rest in Peace Eamon. A true giant in Gaelic Games.
Testing Accessibility

greygoose

RIP Eamon... A true Derry gael

BallyhaiseMan

Terrible news.

RIP Eamon

a True Gael who will missed by all.

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

ONeill

Very saddened to hear this. The last breed of colourful characters. I'll never forget his intervention v Derry in the 2001 semi. A funny and honest interviewee. Great photo of him celebrating v Tyrone last year in Omagh the bugger!!!  RIP Eamon.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Square Ball

Where did this break? can find any comfirmation on it at all.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ExiledGael

A well placed mate, doubt media has it yet

ONeill

Former Derry manager Coleman dies

The world of Gaelic games is in mourning following the death of former Derry and Cavan manager Eamonn Coleman on Monday night.

Coleman will go down in GAA history as the man who guided Derry to their only All-Ireland Championship in 1993.

The colourful, and often controversial, Coleman was sensationally sacked by Derry the following year but returned to succeed Brian Mullins in 1999.

He took the Oak Leaf county to National League titles in 1992 and 2000.

A native of Ballymcguigan in south County Derry, Coleman won an All-Ireland minor medal in 1965 and was an Under-21 winner three years later.

A non-smoker and non-drinker, it was as a manager that he set himself apart.

In the late 1980s Coleman was a key figure in the UUJ Sigerson Cup breakthrough team. Along with Belfast man Charlie Sweeney, "wee Eamonn " steered Jordanstown to inter-varsity wins in 1986 and 1987.

Coleman was handed the reigns of the Derry senior team in 1990 and first tasted success as a manager in 1992, landing the National League title.

But 1993 was to be his defining year, when he guided the Oak Leaf county to All-Ireland senior success.

In July he masterminded the defeat of the then champions Donegal in the Ulster provincial decider.

The defeat of Dublin in the All-Ireland semi-final left Derry in a September showdown with Cork. Coleman's boys did not disappoint, the Sam Maguire cup was on its way to Derry for the first time.

Barely a year later, defeat to Down in Celtic Park in one of the great Championship matches, cost Eamonn Coleman his job.

Following a brief flirtation with Longford in the mid-1990s, he then drifted into club management in Cavan, but by 2000 he had returned to Derry and brought them yet another National League title.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6731599.stm
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stpauls

Just read that article on the bbc website, Rest In Peace Eamon!!