Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILikeStrawberryJam

Are we in misery Geraghty ? Are you not referring to your own county perhaps?

We will prob get well bet today as every team has in leinster has by this dublin machine.

We are wide open to concede goals and could ship 5 or 6 .. but might put up 2-13 ourselves ..we can score

These lads havd restored a bit of pride in the jersey .. im looking forward to today. These matches have really become about can dublin beat the spread +15. If we hold them to single figures and score a bit ourselves id bd happy.
Ilooking forward to seeing a decent laois crowd up in dublin today.

BallyroanAbu

I expect a big Laois performance today, we are in bonus territory but let's not go overdo the situation a bad hammering and we are back to square 1.  Saying that I do think we are on the prepice of a great era in Laois Football.  Big Statement but I think it's true.  Hard to believe a year ago we were squabbling among ourselves over sacking Creedon. 

Joeythelips

Geraghty is entitled to his opinion, in the cold light of day what he says is true. We are a division 4 team who have beaten 2 division 3 sides and a division 4 team to reach this stage, all 3 of which were beaten in the qualifiers since. Now we play the best team in the country, so to anyone's eye you would imagine today's will be a landslide win for the Dubs. One thing not factored into this line of thinking is the experience Laois have. They have all faced the Dubs before, a lot of our lads are well used to big games in Croker. Laois have improved in each game this year and while it's difficult to see them keep today's score line respectable they are decent footballers who should not be underestimated. It's a huge test for the players and management to see how far they have come this year.

Tony

All a supporter really wants is to see their team try their best. We gave our all today. Dublin are just a step too far for us at the moment. Proud of the players and well done to all involved. I'm disappointed with the result but Dublin are just a class act and probably the best team of all time. The players should hold their heads high and let's see how the season continues. In my personal opinion, we'd cause lots of the remaining teams problems, bar the top 6or so. I thought the ref got a lot wrong today at important times, and we missed a lot of chances at important times too. Who knows, it could have been a lot closer as I feel we had them slightly surprised early on. If we took the lead when we should have. . . Lots of ifs and buts but Dublin were the better side. From a proud Laois man.

BallyroanAbu

Dublin were hugely impressive the relentless pace to them really needs to be seen in the flesh.  They were good value for their winning margin saying that teams like Laois do not need reffing like that.  Dublin were never losing that game however we don't need a ref playing as a 16th man.  I have yet to see highlights so maybe they proved me wrong but in real time he was a joke.

redsetanta

Fair point we were never going to win but I have never seen a softer penalty. Couple of dubious frees. Bad stuff but doesn't take away from how poo both Donie and Evan were putting the ball over the bar! As bad as Dublin were I the first half we were worse in the second. Awful shite in second half.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

The pace and natural ability of Dublin is frightening. Even allowing for the fact that they are far superior to us, I still saw bits and pieces of improvement in our play. In many ways, there's a pointlessness to fixtures like the one today that the GAA simply have to address. It's becoming a disincentive getting into Leinster Finals and that shouldn't be the case. I hope the players are big enough as a group to take this on the chin and move on. Today doesn't define our season because we were simply out of our depth

ILikeStrawberryJam

Well summed up high fielder.
They scored 1 25 which is fair enough but i thought wed score more than 10.
Donie and evan had a bad day at the posts. Donie usedto be consistent but hes v inconsistent this season.
A lot of progress made but went up too many levels today.
Stop giving dublin money and invest heavily in counties like laois would help a bit.

Brody was outstanding today. After that it was a mixed bag.
Still capable of of getting to super 8s but were not ready for it yet.
We are a long term work in progress but great strides made by mgmt and players
Great to see such a big laois crowd there today .. pity we couldnt have put up a few more scores

Gold

Quote from: Tony on June 24, 2018, 07:52:49 PM
All a supporter really wants is to see their team try their best. We gave our all today. Dublin are just a step too far for us at the moment. Proud of the players and well done to all involved. I'm disappointed with the result but Dublin are just a class act and probably the best team of all time. The players should hold their heads high and let's see how the season continues. In my personal opinion, we'd cause lots of the remaining teams problems, bar the top 6or so. I thought the ref got a lot wrong today at important times, and we missed a lot of chances at important times too. Who knows, it could have been a lot closer as I feel we had them slightly surprised early on. If we took the lead when we should have. . . Lots of ifs and buts but Dublin were the better side. From a proud Laois man.

Agree with all. Ref was a joke for Laois. Like if you were a ref would you not make Dublin work for their frees a bit? He literally melted under thebpressure of the Hill. Laois couldn't buy a free. Was like watchin Man Utd gettin all the decisions ffs

The thing about it was....they were all at crucial times in the 1st half. Underdogs need to get ahead to have a chance...the missed goal chance that went over the bar couldve been a turning point.  It was 2 on 1 ffs with Donie inside and he blazed over off balance. It was akin to being 2 on 1 in Basketball and shooting for a 3 instead of drawing the man and taking it to the hoop for a dunk.

Loved that Laois actually had a go kicking it early and high into Donie but they didnt (i know he missed some) sicken him with enough ball imo. If i was a player id give him ball after ball...he had the beating of McMahon and bringing him out the field for 1st 20mins 2nd half killed Laois's threat

Laois keeper was great and its actually great him coming out...gives an extra man out the field (like a 7s tactic) and just works but is hard to keep up that fitness
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Joeythelips

I have to agree with the previous posters, I think Laois gave it everything and were just up against a far superior outfit. But in saying that we exposed the frailties in their back line in the first half but crucially could not fully make it count in the first half. Our use of the foot pass was very good at times, but you can tell we have been plying our trade at a lower level. It may sound odd considering they conceded 1-25 but i thought our defence played very well in the first half, in the sweltering heat they worked tirelessly when there were waves of Dublin attacks coming at them. It was a  penalty in my opinion but the ref did Donie no favours. Donie himself did not have a great game, especially from placed balls, the missed free just before halt time was a sickner. But we also had a great goal opportunity when Farrell broke through but Donie ran across his path which ruined it.

In fairness the Dubs are some animal, I genuinely felt sorry for our lads when after a battling so hard in the firs halt, the Dubs bring on Jack McCaffrey for the second and he was bombing it through the middle before long. It shows what an amazing squad they have.

For Laois I thought Begley was outstanding in the first half and also Brody.

BallyroanAbu

Hold on suits our narrative this "Best Team of All Time", I take a different point of view this is the standard and is what we aspire to.  Not some random we have no chance they are far better than us.   Michael Darragh McCauley had an awesome game barely kicking the ball if we want to be great losers that is what we will be I would rather be ungracious losers and moan about eveything.  I hate losing, even games we should lose.  Gracious losers will always be losers lets raise standards and beat these pompous f**kers sooner rather than later.

Kildare were at this crap last year they were beaten by 9, we were beaten by 18 points we gave our best but why is our best no where near good enough.  There is no one outstanding to be beaten by 18.  There is promise but lets not beat around the bush we have to be far better to win.

High Fielder

Fanciful stuff Ballyroan. I have a dream In GAA terms. Dublin are on a completely different level in so many ways that it would take pages to document the divide between most counties and them. It's an unfair fight and one that we cannot win unless we get a freakishly good batch of players or they weaken. I don't really have an issue with Dublin being as powerful as they are, but I do have a problem with going up there after a good season and taking that sort of beating. It no longer serves its purpose as a fitting end to the two best teams in a competition. The same is largely true in most Provinces. Dublin are a semi professional and in some aspects fully professional outfit. To me, there was more than a hint of Lincoln rocking up to play Manchester City yesterday and to be honest, it's a blight on the GAA to be glorying in such a mismatch. I say all that with a deep and fond respect for everything that we stand for, but I know our limitations too.

BallyroanAbu

We had golden generations of footballers they won very little in real terms, I think we always have the talent but how we develop these players has always been an issue.  1 Leinster title was a pathetic return, counties like Laois have always ready made excuses and an acceptance of this is the way things are thus this is the way things must always be.   

I do agree with you that the Leinster Championship as it stands does not allow a team to develop.  A hammering like yesterday, if replicated in two weeks time would undo any good work done this year.  It  is probably time to have an All Ireland Intermediate & Junior Championship which has some mechanisms for teams to enter the Senior Championship and some sort incentive for both teams and fans to get behind it.   

High Fielder

I won't disagree with you about the poor return in that period. But in the here and now, we are a long way behind. Just looking at the bookmakers odds yesterday it would have taken the sort of shock the like of which has not been seen for us to win. We were 33/1 in a contest with two competitors. Miracle stuff. An insurmountable challenge. The Dublin set up is beyond our wildest imagination and they are leaving behind lads who would easily get into our set up. Good luck to them, but I don't expect to be able to compete with them any time soon.

Tony

Whatever the gaa do, i do not want Laois to be in a 2nd tier of a championship. Iron sharpens iron and we need to be playing better teamsp consistently to get better. Just like we need to get back up to division 2 to get better. Put us in a competition with wicklow and Waterford and offaly and we won't be getting any better. It's all well and good for the top counties to want a two tier system, but for the likes of Laois who are improving and have the potential to get to division 2 and be competitive over the next few years at a good level, operating at a lower tier in championship would bury us.

Regarding this year, i hope that somehow we can get past our next opponent and to the super 8's. I think we've more to offer than what we showed yesterday, i also think the buzz would be fantastic for the county. Hopefully the lads can get up for the next match, i honestly think we won't be easy to beat for the majority who remain in the competition. Dublin were always going to be far ahead of us but for 25-30 mins we competed. You're only as good as your last match, so I'm hoping we can get some confidence for our next opponent.