All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 22, 2017, 04:42:24 PM
Doesn't say much for the security in Croke Park but fair play to the lads  ;D http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=276050

What a pair of dopes. If they hadn't went mouthing about it, they could have been going in there for the next twenty years like that!!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2017, 04:10:01 PM
Larnaparka - the Black Card WAS NOT INTRODUCED AS A RESULT OF THE CAVANAGH FOUL.
Sadly it has always paid to foul in Gaelic Football and continues to do so.
Wasn't it?
Joe Brolly seems to think that it was. At least he thinks it was due to this incident and his highlighting of it that the card was introduced.
What do you say led to the card being introduced?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 22, 2017, 08:05:10 PM
Larnaparka - the Black Card WAS NOT INTRODUCED AS A RESULT OF THE CAVANAGH FOUL.
Wasn't it?
Joe Brolly seems to think that it was. At least he thinks it was due to this incident and his highlighting of it that the card was introduced.

The GAA convention held about three months before Sean Cavanagh rugby tackled Conor McManus..

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on September 22, 2017, 08:45:52 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 22, 2017, 08:05:10 PM
Wasn't it?

The GAA convention held about three months before Sean Cavanagh rugby tackled Conor McManus..
As Syfīn says Lar Congress passed it in the Spring but it was decided to hold off implementation till 1st January.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

A week on from the match and it's just about fading from the memory but then I'm not from Mayo so I imagine that it will take a while longer to get over that defeat. The wooden reaction from Dublin to winning, the cynicism and lack of emotion from management is hard to fathom. I've always admired this Dublin team for the way they play the game but I do agree that they are becoming too formulaic, robotic and frankly uniteresting away from football. It's like they are in an army and have become institutionalised. They have become a team to be admired yet not loved. Mayo on the other hand, although they lost the match, won the hearts and minds of the public even more after last Sunday and I hope when the dust settles that they give it one last collective push to win an AI title.   

Buttofthehill

Quote from: yellowcard on September 24, 2017, 11:27:14 AM
A week on from the match and it's just about fading from the memory but then I'm not from Mayo so I imagine that it will take a while longer to get over that defeat. The wooden reaction from Dublin to winning, the cynicism and lack of emotion from management is hard to fathom. I've always admired this Dublin team for the way they play the game but I do agree that they are becoming too formulaic, robotic and frankly uniteresting away from football. It's like they are in an army and have become institutionalised. They have become a team to be admired yet not loved. Mayo on the other hand, although they lost the match, won the hearts and minds of the public even more after last Sunday and I hope when the dust settles that they give it one last collective push to win an AI title.

Wooden reaction? Would you rather Jim Gavin ran on to the field and completely ignored Rockford? Would you rather they didn't commiserate with the Mayo lads? You say wooden I say respectful.

yellowcard

Quote from: Buttofthehill on September 24, 2017, 12:21:36 PM

Wooden reaction? Would you rather Jim Gavin ran on to the field and completely ignored Rockford? Would you rather they didn't commiserate with the Mayo lads? You say wooden I say respectful.

I presume Gavin has devoted countless hours over the last year to winning an AI title with Dublin and last Sunday was the culmination of all this work. The season was over, he could have been a bit more open in his interviews but instead it was like he was still reading from a pre prepared script. Cluxton the same. If you can't enjoy the moment after a long season then ultimately what is the point. It was almost like Monday was the first day of next season and he didn't want to let his guard down again. Don't get me wrong I admire Gavin and he has done a remarkable job but if they want to be a team that the public can really enjoy and relate to then there has to be room for a little self expression from his players. Instead they appear to be living in a bubble of over professionalism.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: yellowcard on September 24, 2017, 12:54:45 PM

I presume Gavin has devoted countless hours over the last year to winning an AI title with Dublin and last Sunday was the culmination of all this work. The season was over, he could have been a bit more open in his interviews but instead it was like he was still reading from a pre prepared script. Cluxton the same. If you can't enjoy the moment after a long season then ultimately what is the point. It was almost like Monday was the first day of next season and he didn't want to let his guard down again. Don't get me wrong I admire Gavin and he has done a remarkable job but if they want to be a team that the public can really enjoy and relate to then there has to be room for a little self expression from his players. Instead they appear to be living in a bubble of over professionalism.

I can assure you that Dublin supporters are very happy with the way Dublin players and management present themselves. These lads are not circus ponies who should be expected to perform for the media whenever required.

Dublin supports prefer to focus on the magnificent achievements of their extraordinary team.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

An Fhairche Abu

There is undue hate for this Dublin team, leaving aside the off the field financial advantages etc. is it just because they are currently spoiling Mayo getting over the line?

seafoid

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 24, 2017, 01:27:35 PM

I can assure you that Dublin supporters are very happy with the way Dublin players and management present themselves. These lads are not circus ponies who should be expected to perform for the media whenever required.

Dublin supports prefer to focus on the magnificent achievements of their extraordinary team.
Dublin are not Melchester Rovers. They are something duller. If Carlsberg made boring it would be Cluxton.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

PW Nally

Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2017, 02:25:14 PM

Dublin are not Melchester Rovers. They are something duller. If Carlsberg made boring it would be Cluxton.
As a Mayoman I want to distance myself from such catty and easily typed comments. Cluxton is clearly a super talented player but a reluctant public figure. Is he any less of a man for this? He deserves more respect than such trite comments for his inability to entertain you more. Grow the f**k up.

The Hill is Blue

I'd like to see you stand up in front of eighty thousand people in Croke Park. I suspect that like most of us you wouldn't sparkle. It's a pity that you can't focus on the fact that Stephen Cluxton is one of the most influential footballers of our generation - or is that too hard for you to acknowledge?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

seafoid

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 24, 2017, 02:56:43 PM

I'd like to see you stand up in front of eighty thousand people in Croke Park. I suspect that like most of us you wouldn't sparkle. It's a pity that you can't focus on the fact that Stephen Cluxton is one of the most influential footballers of our generation - or is that too hard for you to acknowledge?
He is the greatest goalkeeper since Furlong. He should be sponsored by Dulux
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 24, 2017, 02:03:01 PM
There is undue hate for this Dublin team, leaving aside the off the field financial advantages etc. is it just because they are currently spoiling Mayo getting over the line?
Mostly the latter i feel party poopers if you will. Should also note these Mayo players had to win back a lot of neutral love after the way they got rid of the last management. On Dublins lack of emotion maybe we would see more if their supporters we allowed on to the field to celebrate in Croke park.