Tyrone players say the Rosary before every game

Started by T Fearon, July 20, 2017, 06:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Seafoid, did you go fishing much when you were a young lad?
Have you now become a fisher of men?

A lot of your posts seem to be aimed at poor innocent Tyrone posters hoping to get a bite.
If it's not Cathal McCarron you're digging up then it's our dear Sacred Harte.
Presume you're waiting anxiously for Michaela McCollum to hit the headlines again with a big story.

Main Street

Mickey Harte requests all the players to partake in saying the rosary before a game, the Tyrone Catholic Team?
Ronan McNamee
It (the rosary) can't do you any harm. I can't imagine it's going to cause anybody any upset. Whether we do it with Tyrone or not, I go to Mass every Sunday anyway. There is no reason why everybody can't go to Mass the odd time."
How about a reason being that a person is not a catholic?
What if a player is not of the catholic church and does not partake in the catholic rituals?
That's a bizarre backwoods religious culture in Tyrone.

sid waddell

Our father, who? Art McRory
Hallowed be thy name
The Kingdom come, they will be done
Like in '03, in one-seven
Do not give us this day our daily red
And forgive us our trespasses
As we do not forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation (to dive)
But deliver us this season
A win.

Hail Kerry
Full of pace
Still sore about '03
Blessed Harte thou amongst winners
And blessed is the boot of thy wounded Peter
Holy Pascal, brother of God
Pray for Sean Quinners
Now and in the hour of his debt
Amen.

T Fearon

Dont soccer clubs have chaplains? Why not GAA teams.The Armagh team of 02 was devout and its good to see faith in this day and age even if it perplexes our Southern brethern.

punt kick

Heard of a some partaking in a few strange rituals alright.

WT4E

Quote from: Main Street on July 20, 2017, 12:44:20 PM
Mickey Harte requests all the players to partake in saying the rosary before a game, the Tyrone Catholic Team?
Ronan McNamee
It (the rosary) can't do you any harm. I can't imagine it's going to cause anybody any upset. Whether we do it with Tyrone or not, I go to Mass every Sunday anyway. There is no reason why everybody can't go to Mass the odd time."
What if a player is not of the catholic church and does not partake in the catholic rituals?

Be almost like a protestant going to a catholic wedding - unheard of.... what would they do?  ::)

Syferus

Quote from: WT4E on July 20, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
Ronan McNamee

Be almost like a protestant going to a catholic wedding - unheard of.... what would they do?  ::)

They don't get the protestant to stand up and recite a few decades, unless they do some weird shít at weddings in Tyrone.

Even in McNamee's quote alone it was obvious he and probably plenty of the others are only doing it because they're asked and to humour Mickey, the buck who decides if they play or not on Sundays..

smelmoth

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 12:19:16 PM
I could never understand the mental gymnastics Mickey Harte has to go through to have a clear conscience being a devout catholic and the manager of the team that have been the worst sledgers the sport has ever seen.

Makes taking his piousness seriously in any sense impossible for me, and probably a lot of other people.

The reverence for Mickey as a football manager is understandable based upon his longevity and results.

The sympathy for him as an individual given what he has been through is also understandable

But the reverence given to some of his views is mystifying. Time that the journalists that he does talk to started to ask him some direct questions about how his faith and preachings sit with what are obviously his teachings

smelmoth

Ronan McNamee

Yes it is weird. Would an atheist or a Protestant be ousted, made to chant the meaningless mantra or be allowed to decline the invite to participate but not have their playing chances diminished?

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on July 20, 2017, 12:52:07 PM
Dont soccer clubs have chaplains? Why not GAA teams.The Armagh team of 02 was devout and its good to see faith in this day and age even if it perplexes our Southern brethern.

I don't know why teams have chaplains. But I do know the difference between having discretionary access to a chaplain and there being some enforced communal religiosity

The 02 "team" were devout? Really?

Jayop

Quote from: smelmoth on July 20, 2017, 01:25:49 PM
Ronan McNamee

Yes it is weird. Would an atheist or a Protestant be ousted, made to chant the meaningless mantra or be allowed to decline the invite to participate but not have their playing chances diminished?

I'd imagine they could sit it out if they liked Yeah.

tiempo

Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2017, 12:49:40 PM
Our father, who? Art McRory
Hallowed be thy name
The Kingdom come, they will be done
Like in '03, in one-seven
Do not give us this day our daily red
And forgive us our trespasses
As we do not forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation (to dive)
But deliver us this season
A win.

Hail Kerry
Full of pace
Still sore about '03
Blessed Harte thou amongst winners
And blessed is the boot of thy wounded Peter
Holy Pascal, brother of God
Pray for Sean Quinners
Now and in the hour of his debt
Amen.

Brilliant  ;D ;D ;D

smelmoth

Quote from: Jayop on July 20, 2017, 01:28:14 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 20, 2017, 01:25:49 PM
Ronan McNamee

I'd imagine they could sit it out if they liked Yeah.

As long as someone can imagine it that's good enough for me

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on July 20, 2017, 12:52:07 PM
It seems at least half of the northern posters here live in the 26 counties so that would mean they are part of the brotherhood...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sensethetone

Quote from: WT4E on July 20, 2017, 12:55:39 PM
Ronan McNamee

They spoil the queuing for communion as the people row behind are wondering why they haven't got up yet.. then the second row behind start going up the chapel, then the first row behind smarten up and they go.. then you have to watch harder for your seat on the way back down.