Author Topic: Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?  (Read 35281 times)

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
Re: Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?
« Reply #315 on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »
Thanks Lar.
I suppose as lads only play football for a few short years as adults and just go with the club management flow.
Most non playing adults have more things to worry about than what competitions the local club plays in.
The long term GAA offeeshuls have ways of keeping things the way they want them.
The Ros zealots gave up on that brick wall years ago and met a thicker wall when they tried to set up their own club.
Now they join club Rossie and ignore the local club.
2017 Double Connacht Champions

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 14, 2016, 11:34:08 AM »
Most of the alickadoos in the Ballagh GAA club are out and out Mayo and many are blowins too. Many of the Ros folk from town have had nothing to do with club for many years, including myself but I support their historical right to affiliate with Mayo. Personally, I supported St. Bridget's when they met Ballagh in Connacht final. When I pay my Club Rossie membership, I remind them I have no club when they ask for club attribution. There's a lot in similar boat and Club Rossie does well in Ballagh. But a shocking state of affairs that we cannot represent our own county.

Why don't you start your own GAA club in Ballagh?

They tried that.

when was that and how come it didn't work?

larryin89

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
Got shot down by mayo cb, leitrim and galway i think. Not sure on that.

If i remember rightly they were using a pitch that used to be beside the old convent school.(makes me feel very old saying all that, i can remember shiftin them convent girleens, no mixed school back then, in that very field manys a year ago now )
Not a sheep stole in Castlebar since 1986.

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 14, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »
Most of the alickadoos in the Ballagh GAA club are out and out Mayo and many are blowins too. Many of the Ros folk from town have had nothing to do with club for many years, including myself but I support their historical right to affiliate with Mayo. Personally, I supported St. Bridget's when they met Ballagh in Connacht final. When I pay my Club Rossie membership, I remind them I have no club when they ask for club attribution. There's a lot in similar boat and Club Rossie does well in Ballagh. But a shocking state of affairs that we cannot represent our own county.

Why don't you start your own GAA club in Ballagh?

They tried that.

when was that and how come it didn't work?

The first attempt by the Roscommon CB to force  the club to re-affiliate with it was in 1962.
The other four counties voted against them and that was that for more than 20 years.
 I think the rationale was that the GAA, as a democratic institution, could not force the club to play in Roscommon against its will.
Sometime in the mid-800s, (Iím a bit woolly on the dates) an attempt was made to sanction the establishment of a separate, junior club in the parish, mainly to cater for players who wanted to play in Roscommon.
The Ballagh club objected, the Mayo CB backed them and the matter was brought to the provincial council.
This time Sligo voted with Roscommon but the application was defeated on a majority vote. Afterwards, the Connacht Council  decided to approach Central Council for a definitive ruling on the status of the Ballagh club.
This was done in an attempt to get an impartial,definitive decision and to prevent further rows breaking out on this matter.
THe CCís verdict was that Ballagh remain with Mayo and would not be forced to switch allegiances unless and until the CC approved by a two thirds majority.

(I think that, before a fresh application could be made, two thirds of the clubís membership had to vote in favour of re-submitting the request.)

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »
"To this day, when I go to my head for images or ideas they are all in Ballaghaderreen."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/garry-hynes-human-condition-is-based-on-people-and-place-1.3157965
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"