Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Thanks Lar.
I suppose as lads only play football for a few short years as adults and just go with the club management flow.
Most non playing adults have more things to worry about than what competitions the local club plays in.
The long term GAA offeeshuls have ways of keeping things the way they want them.
The Ros zealots gave up on that brick wall years ago and met a thicker wall when they tried to set up their own club.
Now they join club Rossie and ignore the local club.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: larryin89 on July 14, 2016, 10:44:10 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2016, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: weareros on July 14, 2016, 12:21:11 AM
Most of the alickadoos in the Ballagh GAA club are out and out Mayo and many are blowins too. Many of the Ros folk from town have had nothing to do with club for many years, including myself but I support their historical right to affiliate with Mayo. Personally, I supported St. Bridget's when they met Ballagh in Connacht final. When I pay my Club Rossie membership, I remind them I have no club when they ask for club attribution. There's a lot in similar boat and Club Rossie does well in Ballagh. But a shocking state of affairs that we cannot represent our own county.

Why don't you start your own GAA club in Ballagh?

They tried that.

when was that and how come it didn't work?

larryin89

Got shot down by mayo cb, leitrim and galway i think. Not sure on that.

If i remember rightly they were using a pitch that used to be beside the old convent school.(makes me feel very old saying all that, i can remember shiftin them convent girleens, no mixed school back then, in that very field manys a year ago now )
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2016, 11:34:08 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 14, 2016, 10:44:10 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2016, 10:26:57 AM
Quote from: weareros on July 14, 2016, 12:21:11 AM
Most of the alickadoos in the Ballagh GAA club are out and out Mayo and many are blowins too. Many of the Ros folk from town have had nothing to do with club for many years, including myself but I support their historical right to affiliate with Mayo. Personally, I supported St. Bridget's when they met Ballagh in Connacht final. When I pay my Club Rossie membership, I remind them I have no club when they ask for club attribution. There's a lot in similar boat and Club Rossie does well in Ballagh. But a shocking state of affairs that we cannot represent our own county.

Why don't you start your own GAA club in Ballagh?

They tried that.

when was that and how come it didn't work?

The first attempt by the Roscommon CB to force  the club to re-affiliate with it was in 1962.
The other four counties voted against them and that was that for more than 20 years.
I think the rationale was that the GAA, as a democratic institution, could not force the club to play in Roscommon against its will.
Sometime in the mid-800s, (I'm a bit woolly on the dates) an attempt was made to sanction the establishment of a separate, junior club in the parish, mainly to cater for players who wanted to play in Roscommon.
The Ballagh club objected, the Mayo CB backed them and the matter was brought to the provincial council.
This time Sligo voted with Roscommon but the application was defeated on a majority vote. Afterwards, the Connacht Council  decided to approach Central Council for a definitive ruling on the status of the Ballagh club.
This was done in an attempt to get an impartial,definitive decision and to prevent further rows breaking out on this matter.
THe CC's verdict was that Ballagh remain with Mayo and would not be forced to switch allegiances unless and until the CC approved by a two thirds majority.

(I think that, before a fresh application could be made, two thirds of the club's membership had to vote in favour of re-submitting the request.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

QuoteGardai investigate after milk van stolen in Ballaghaderreen
By Shannonside News - 10th July 2018

Gardai in Ballaghaderreen are investigating after a van delivering milk in the town was stolen from a filling station on Monday morning.

It's understood the milkman was delivering products to a premises on the Dublin road in the town at around 10am and while the van was left running outside, the vehicle was stolen.

No arrests have yet been made and the van has not yet been recovered.

Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses who were in the Dublin road area of Ballaghadereen at around 10am yesterday morning to contact them.

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/gardai-investigate-milk-van-stolen-ballaghaderreen/

Probably an upset Mayo supporter.

Rossfan

manfromdelmonte

Why are the law allowed to regulate themselves?
Surely the gardai should be called in

Rossfan

It's "excessive fees" rather than law breaking?

Maroon Manc

There's something not right about this story and how its been reported.

LooseCannon

This should really be a Prime Time debate. Shane Curran v Enda Kenny, etc.

Tubberman

Ballagh, along with other Mayo towns, gets a good mention in a Planxty song called 'The Pursuit of Farmer Michael Hayes'.
Ballagh was Mayo then and is Mayo now  ;D

https://www.christymoore.com/lyrics/the-pursuit-of-farmer-michael-hayes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBrerQVJSm8

They searched the train at Oranmore as she was leavin' for Athlone,
Every wagon, car and coach they met along the road.
Connemara being remote, they thought 'twas there I might resort;
As they were gettin' weary they resolved to try Mayo.

In Ballaghaderreen they has to rest until the hounds they were refreshed.
They then went on to Westport and searched it high and low.
Through Castlebar they made a trot when they heard I was in Castlerock,
Still they were deluded where I lodged the night before.

In Swinford town as I lay down, I heard a dreadful cry of hounds
Which filled me with the notion to retaliate my chase.
Being weary from the road, I took a drink at half past four
Which filled me heart with strength and speed when the hounds were gettin' slow.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on July 11, 2018, 03:19:37 PM
Ballagh, along with other Mayo towns, gets a good mention in a Planxty song called 'The Pursuit of Farmer Michael Hayes'.
Ballagh was Mayo then and is Mayo now  ;D

https://www.christymoore.com/lyrics/the-pursuit-of-farmer-michael-hayes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBrerQVJSm8

They searched the train at Oranmore as she was leavin' for Athlone,
Every wagon, car and coach they met along the road.
Connemara being remote, they thought 'twas there I might resort;
As they were gettin' weary they resolved to try Mayo.

In Ballaghaderreen they has to rest until the hounds they were refreshed.
They then went on to Westport and searched it high and low.
Through Castlebar they made a trot when they heard I was in Castlerock,
Still they were deluded where I lodged the night before.

In Swinford town as I lay down, I heard a dreadful cry of hounds
Which filled me with the notion to retaliate my chase.
Being weary from the road, I took a drink at half past four
Which filled me heart with strength and speed when the hounds were gettin' slow.

I take back my love of Christy >:(