Interested in joining a GAA Club in Dublin?

Started by Porterbelly, February 14, 2007, 02:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteWell if it wasn't for spotting a similar type "ad" on the Hoganstand a couple of years ago I'd be sitting in tomorrow night watching the Champions League or out playing 5 aside soccer. Have aspirations to pick up the small ball as well during the summer so wind ur neck in there a bit.

As you may work out from the title of this website (though with you having to read an ad to let you know that there are GAA clubs for you to play with I'm not taking this for granted) that this is a discussion board. i'm entitled to my opinion and will not wind my neck in for you or anyone.

Bord na Mona man

I see nothing wrong with this kind of advertising.
There are a lot of clubs in Dublin who have no underage set up who need to be constantly recruiting to survive.
There are thousands of young people who are moving to Dublin and other cities who are decent players but wouldn't make any adult teams back home. There is a big bottleneck from minor and U21 to adult grades and realistically only a small handful of underage players will be catered for at adult level. Any one who wants to play gaelic games, even if they aren't elite club players should be catered for. You shouldn't need to be willing to drive 300 miles to prove your credentials.

Romeo

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 06, 2007, 03:50:16 PM
QuoteWell if it wasn't for spotting a similar type "ad" on the Hoganstand a couple of years ago I'd be sitting in tomorrow night watching the Champions League or out playing 5 aside soccer. Have aspirations to pick up the small ball as well during the summer so wind ur neck in there a bit.

As you may work out from the title of this website (though with you having to read an ad to let you know that there are GAA clubs for you to play with I'm not taking this for granted) that this is a discussion board. i'm entitled to my opinion and will not wind my neck in for you or anyone.

Well Seanie, if you're so good at reading things, surely you would have figured out that the link you clicked on to get into this topic was an ad! So if they sicken you, don't click on them to read them!

Mid Mon

You cant beat the civil service football team for a bit a craic with lads from all over the country.

Contact john gaffney @ "The Hut" phibsbourgh

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 06, 2007, 03:50:16 PM

I think lots of people, choosing who to play for is not a straightforward choice.
You might want to suss out the vibe of the club and how welcoming they are to outsiders.
If they are club with a conveyer belt from underage to adult, then there is a good chance they will be more clannish and less welcoming.
Also, some people would rather join a club with a lot of outsiders who they'd have more in common with, rather than a club with a team sheet of Antos and Decos.  ;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 06, 2007, 02:31:27 PM
The kind of lads that play in this kind of club are fella who wouldn't play at all if they didn't play here, I know I'm one of them.
I would never have the ability or commitment to travel a 300 mile round trip to train at home at the weekends or play a match but i love playing and get the oppurtunityy to here, its great craic and it lets me keep up the game. These clubs are different to the likes of Na Fianna, Bridgets, Kilmacud, who tout for inter-county players.
The lads we would want are fellas that are sitting at home watching DVDs on a wednesday nite and in bed with a hangover sunday morning.

what a load of b**s
these clubs dont 'tout' for intercounty players.
not in the way you seem to think.
Yes if good players come along and usually they show an interest in joining a club -whether through friends etc- but its not a hunt the way you seem to think it is and that is slightly annoying- the ignorance of some people over this.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mid Mon on March 06, 2007, 03:59:40 PM
You cant beat the civil service football team for a bit a craic with lads from all over the country.

if you can drink 24x7
have no discipline
love a crazed social scene and copper faced jacks
have no real desire to win that much , but love playing football and are willing to put in the bare minimum (train the odd time)
then if you can find them ,you might be able to join
the Civil Service team

seriously, if yer in a relationship - dont join them. Also if you have a weak constitution or bad liver...
:D

Mayo4Sam

I dont think that they advertise in the fcukin evening herald and yes the players have to be lads that are waivering anyway but they still do a good marketing job
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 06, 2007, 04:17:33 PM
I dont think that they advertise in the fcukin evening herald and yes the players have to be lads that are waivering anyway but they still do a good marketing job

b*lls again

Mayo4Sam

Certainly not balls again. Bridgets are a prime example.

Rory gallagher was given a job in the fcukin club training kids & raymie a job in the bank in crumlin

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 06, 2007, 04:21:57 PM
Certainly not balls again. Bridgets are a prime example.

Rory gallagher was given a job in the fcukin club training kids & raymie a job in the bank in crumlin

is that so?
I must go down and ask for a bank job if Brigids are able to do that

I take it you still believe in Santa claus ?

Mayo4Sam

Now i know ur not that naive to think that they didn't?
I

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 06, 2007, 04:31:19 PM
Now i know ur not that naive to think that they didn't?
I

I also happen to know what they were working at...and nothing to do with St Brigids...
knew them before they joined the club.

so away off you with the brothers grimm, maybe you could get a job with the media...

Mayo4Sam

I got a lift with raymie as far as dublin where he told me he was in the bank, just after he started, what training he was doing and about travelling back to fermanagh cause he was the captain

cavan4ever

[/quote]

if you can drink 24x7
have no discipline
love a crazed social scene and copper faced jacks
have no real desire to win that much , but love playing football and are willing to put in the bare minimum (train the odd time)
then if you can find them ,you might be able to join
the Civil Service team

seriously, if yer in a relationship - dont join them. Also if you have a weak constitution or bad liver...
:D
[/quote]

This sounds like a g8t team to join  ;D