Charlie Vernon

Started by T O Hare, January 23, 2009, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on January 23, 2009, 12:45:56 PM
To say that tackling is a weakness in his game is incredible!  It's one of the strongest facets of his game.  Charlie could play CHB quite easily, some people seem to base the fact that he's not a good defender on one skinning that he did get from Micael O'Rourke in an Armagh U21 championship semi when Charlie was 18/19 yrs of age.  I've yet to see anyone else do it?  He is  a loose enough marker, but I'd imagine he'd have the class to curtail that instinct if given a job to do.  He gave a display of how CHB should be played against Carrickcruppen in the Armagh senior championship last year.

Do you seem him as similar to AOR in his style of play at CHB? Not a tight man-marker but always on the ball delivering and linking up?

For Armagh where do you see him? Midfield for me as fielding is another one of his greatest facets.

brokencrossbar1

To say that tackling is a weakness in his game is incredible!  It's one of the strongest facets of his game.  Charlie could play CHB quite easily, some people seem to base the fact that he's not a good defender on one skinning that he did get from Micael O'Rourke in an Armagh U21 championship semi when Charlie was 18/19 yrs of age.  I've yet to see anyone else do it?  He is  a loose enough marker, but I'd imagine he'd have the class to curtail that instinct if given a job to do.  He gave a display of how CHB should be played against Carrickcruppen in the Armagh senior championship last year.

Benny I took 2-3 off him in a league game in Cross a few years back, but I'd say he has improved since then :P

Seriously though, just give the lad a chance, every few years there is the next great hope. He is at least 3 years from being at the level where we can determine if he will be a great player as opposed to a good player.

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 23, 2009, 12:51:23 PM

Benny I took 2-3 off him in a league game in Cross a few years back, but I'd say he has improved since then :P

Seriously though, just give the lad a chance, every few years there is the next great hope. He is at least 3 years from being at the level where we can determine if he will be a great player as opposed to a good player.

Exactly.

How many years have you retired BC, I'd say Vernon was a pup then and you probably had the elbows out.  :P

mackers

Charlie is very young but has the POTENTIAL to be a leading player for Armagh for a number of years. It's unfair to comment on him on the inter county stage as he's playing a restrictive role and he's out of position. With Armagh struggling in midfield I would give him a few games in the league there to see whether he can succeed  instead of being shackled like last year. Armagh fans have to remember that when McGeeney and McGrane were his age they were getting their backsides handed to them by Derry in the mid 90s.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

The GAA

I would contend that he's a very poor tackler. strength means feck all in the tackle. the number of times he's blown for knocking seven bells out of fellas because he just swings away at the ball is alarming. o'rourke should be the right man to address that facet of his game. tackling properly is an artform and very very little to do with strength

YogiBear

He is hardly that good few good games in a pre-season tournament and you are all gone mad T O Hare i thought you would have more sense.  I will remind you of this thread in the summer when he is subbed as Armagh crash out of the Ulster to Tyrone.  Sure Cathal Magee scored two goals against St Marys lets start another thread or lets start a James Kielt thread sure he scored 1 - 5 last nite Vernon only got 4

bennydorano

Quote from: The GAA on January 23, 2009, 02:14:43 PM

I would contend that he's a very poor tackler. strength means feck all in the tackle. the number of times he's blown for knocking seven bells out of fellas because he just swings away at the ball is alarming. o'rourke should be the right man to address that facet of his game. tackling properly is an artform and very very little to do with strength
I never mentioned his strength and reckon it's got nothing to do with his style of tackling.  His tackling is directly from the McGeeney/McGrane school of trying to knock the ball away rather than slapping away at the player.

5 Sams

Posted « on: Today at 02:04:08 AM »

Quote from: T O Hare on January 23, 2009, 02:04:08 AM
He deserevs a thread of his own!! It was a pleasure as a Down man to pay eight pound to watch this man tonight!!!He was immense! he seemed to be everwhereand  is strong, intelligent and two great feet. His turn of pace is unreal !! Armagh will have some midfield if he does not partner McGrane this year, He is one to look out for!!!!

Good night in Gorman's Tom?

The Aristocrat Years

andunabu

Excellent performance by this young man.  He has great potential.  I am old enough to remember the great Queens team of 1992-93 and a certain student midfielder stood out, Anthony Tohill.  That was one of the best teams I ever saw, Tohill, McGeeney, Brewster, McCartan, Eamon Burns (Derry), Cathal O'Rourke, McGrane, Mc Guinness, Connolly to namer but a few!!  Vernon would have got on that team!! It augurs well for Armagh :-\ < An excellent team performance last night though.  Can't wait for Sigerson 1st round Queens v Poly.  Should be a cracker!!

The GAA

Quote from: bennydorano on January 23, 2009, 02:40:01 PM
His tackling is directly from the McGeeney/McGrane school of trying to knock the ball away rather than slapping away at the player.

Well we'll jus have to agree to disagree on that one

mackers

Quote from: YogiBear on January 23, 2009, 02:26:32 PM
He is hardly that good few good games in a pre-season tournament and you are all gone mad T O Hare i thought you would have more sense.  I will remind you of this thread in the summer when he is subbed as Armagh crash out of the Ulster to Tyrone.  Sure Cathal Magee scored two goals against St Marys lets start another thread or lets start a James Kielt thread sure he scored 1 - 5 last nite Vernon only got 4
Yea, that's all we're basing our opinions on, a couple of good McKenna Cup performances. ::) ::) ::).   Eejit!!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

RedandGreenSniper

I've heard a lot of people raving about him but he doesn't look mobile enough for inter-county imho

http://www.suorez.com/NYTimes_Oct_15_06/index.html

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ONeill

Is Vernon the new Larry Reilly?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

QuoteCharlie is probably the best known student at QUB

What do you mean by this?