Down v Louth

Started by DownFanatic, February 09, 2009, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Load of old nonsense above. The referee was extremely harsh on Louth in the first half - not just for the yellow cards, but for allowing Down (Paul Murphy in particular) to get away with persistent fouling. But his fellow officials must have questioned his methods at halftime, because after the break he noticeably eased up on Louth, allowing them to ramp it up physically.

I though Down were marginally the better of the two sides overall, if only just...which was kind of reflected on the scoreboard. Aidan Carr was the best player on show by a mile. He was excellent both defensively and in attack, while his free-taking was outstanding. Apart from him, Coulter and Hughes were pretty impressive for Down, although I would suggest both still make hard work of winning the ball because they make straight-line runs almost every time, turning their natural advantage into a foot race with their marker.

Only really disappointing thing from Down was the number of basic handling errors. The number of times unmarked Down men fluffed the ball, or needed two grabs at it was extraordinary, especially considering that the shooting and passing was generally of a high standard - suggesting they haven't just been eating weights in preparation for the season.

Mid Down Gael

Positive result for Down last night. I wouldnt be getting carried away though, only for the brilliant Brendy McVeigh and a great goal line clearance from Ciaran McGovern Louth would have had at least 3 more goals. Our full back line looked dodgy when Louth played it direct first time. Murphy should be put back to the half back line and will have to stop runnning with it. far too slow coming out of defence. Would like to see Garvey tried at full back against Cavan in 3 weeks. Thought Howard, Carr and  McKernan played rightly in defence whine Benny and Danny where great up front. anyone know what was wrong with Monk, Sexton and Ronny Murtagh?? didnt see them among the nine subs. think Ross will have to cut panel shortly, there must be 40 of a squad. 2 Aghaderg men?? good result for all that an id expect a more convincing win against Cavan especially with more key players returning.

amallon

I thought the ref called it right on the Coulter goal.  Benny made the run but the man playing in the ball took an unnceassry solo out of it and by the time the ball came in Benny was well in the square.  The Louth yellow before half time looked very harsh.  Conor Garvey could have went for his tackle in the second half.

It was an entertaining game of football if a little scrappy at times.  Louth probably deserved something from the game and only for Bendy McVeigh they would have got it.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

downredblack

Louth had their chances no doubt about it but didn't take them , not so long ago we would of lost a tight game like that but the lads really fought  hard and deserved the win in the end .
Aidan Carr landed some beauts and his use of the ball was first class .Benny and Danny had a good night and with McCumiskey on the way back , we should cause most teams a bit of trouble up front .
Great to see Gordon and McCumiskey getting a bit of game time , was shocked to see McCumiskey warming up at H/t thought he was a long way off being back .

When was the last time Down played in Yellow and Black (94) ?

amallon

I might have to take the square ball decision on Bennys goal back.  I just talked with a man who has watched it on video and he says the goal should have stood. 

The last time I remember Down playing in yellow and black was the 1994 Semi-final against Cork.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

T O Hare

Quote from: amallon on February 16, 2009, 12:44:49 PM
I might have to take the square ball decision on Bennys goal back.  I just talked with a man who has watched it on video and he says the goal should have stood. 

The last time I remember Down playing in yellow and black was the 1994 Semi-final against Cork.

The day Barry Breen got the head injury and played with the bandage around his head ;D ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: T O Hare on February 16, 2009, 12:49:06 PM
Quote from: amallon on February 16, 2009, 12:44:49 PM

The day Barry Breen got the head injury and played with the bandage around his head ;D ;D ;D

You're right Mr O'Hare, he also put Larry Tompkins in his pocket that day, what a player! Very much in the Liam Doyle mode I woud say?

Brick Tamlin

..Mickey Linden retiring Niall Cahallane, the Yellow and black Jersies, Barry Breen's Headgear. A memorable day all round

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Actually did Barry not get the injury against Kerry in the AI semi final in 91?

mattockranger

Wasn't able to make the game the weekend...which was a pity because from reports it was a thriller
a thriller louth possibly threw away??

I'd be happy enough with the team's performance....they gave a good account of themselves, especially when we didn't rely on our big guns and nearly get the win

and more importantly the management will learn alot more from this game than all the previous....some departments need strengthening some individuals need to get fitter and sharper...
some younger guys got more game time and impressed...
Paddy keenan, Colm Judge, Darren Clarke to come back in...
Goss, McGinnity Murray to get match fit and boost the squad competition

all in all in terms of our development and building towards championship this loss could define our season in a positive way!

will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

western exile

You got to feel for Louth, having lost narrowly to Down two years running, in games that they could have won.  But every team cannot win every game in this division and Louth and Down could yet meet in the final. They are both good enough. So long as they both don't slip up to lesser teams

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

It was a brilliant game! credit to both teams, definatly exciting stuff, although if i was from Louth, I would be a bit mad at some of those yellow cards..

Double Cross

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on February 16, 2009, 10:42:18 PM
It was a brilliant game! credit to both teams, definatly exciting stuff, although if i was from Louth, I would be a bit mad at some of those yellow cards..

Goss can have no complaints, in fact I was expecting a red card. Fanning can feel aggrieved though, deserved a ticking at best. Louth got away with a lot on Danny Hughes so I think any bad decisions by the ref were negated by Coulters goal and the penalty.
It was a good game of football though, plenty of action and fair play to Louth for making a game of it in the second half, they probably deserved a point, but these are games Down wold have lost in previous years, they seem to have a bit of resilience about them these days.

Orior

Did our old friend and cutie An Lu Abu never register with this board?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians