Ulster Rugby Trial - Poll

Started by macdanger2, March 22, 2018, 09:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Having heard snippets of the evidence and read half-baked court reports, what do you think will happen?

Defendants are innocent and will be found not guilty
61 (35.9%)
Defendants are innocent and will be found guilty
0 (0%)
Defendants are guilty and will be found guilty
7 (4.1%)
Defendants are guilty and will be found not guilty
47 (27.6%)
Some defendants will be found guilty, some found not guilty
18 (10.6%)
Don't know
37 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 170

macdanger2

New thread to see what people think believe happened on the night and what will happen with the verdict. Keep discussion to the main thread

tommysmith

It's like an episode of Eastenders.

yellowcard

Why is there not a 'don't know' option because I really don't know. Also there are 4 separate individuals being tried. I'm not actually sure a poll is a great idea on this.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

There should be a Schrodinger's Cat option.

Tony Baloney

Well the one thing we've (almost) all agreed on is that they get off be found not guilty.

Milltown Row2

Three sets of jury's and it's a simple case by the looks of it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Is this  thread contempt of court?  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Well it shows Syferus has 3 accounts going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

I'm just surprised that everyone didn't tick "Don't Know"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on March 23, 2018, 08:55:58 AM

I dont think what happened was planned nor the norm, I think it was going a certain direction and then escalated and its got to the point were it was impossible to go back to the start and reset...A very costly (in all manners) situation will have no winners here..

Hopefully the jury will have not listened to the stuff on social media, though i doubt it very much, I hope they make their call based on the facts they have heard and not the ramblings of the fireside lawyers (barring the couple on here who are from the legal profession, not you Syferus)

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2018, 09:06:58 AM

I dont think what happened was planned nor the norm, I think it was going a certain direction and then escalated and its got to the point were it was impossible to go back to the start and reset...A very costly (in all manners) situation will have no winners here..

Hopefully the jury will have not listened to the stuff on social media, though i doubt it very much, I hope they make their call based on the facts they have heard and not the ramblings of the fireside lawyers (barring the couple on here who are from the legal profession, not you Syferus)

A good friend of mine who is an actual solicitor told me that juries normally get it right.  Let's hope so in this case.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AQMP on March 23, 2018, 09:26:46 AM

A good friend of mine who is an actual solicitor told me that juries normally get it right.  Let's hope so in this case.
I said that on the main thread. Whatever decision the jury makes is the right one generally as unlike us they have listened to all the evidence and can make a clear and informed decision. Rare that a guilty man gets off or an innocent man convicted

magpie seanie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2018, 09:36:47 AM

I said that on the main thread. Whatever decision the jury makes is the right one generally as unlike us they have listened to all the evidence and can make a clear and informed decision. Rare that a guilty man gets off or an innocent man convicted

How do you know though?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2018, 09:38:04 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2018, 09:36:47 AM

How do you know though?

Experience, having seen the system in operation, the amount of appeals that are unsuccessful as opposed to successful. For a crown court case to be appealed on the conviction there has to be a point of law. That is very difficult to do as what that generally means is that a judge had erred in their charge and directions or in some legal argument that has not been seen by the jury. This is always possible but not often. The reality is that for a case to get to trial there has to be a significant amount of hoops and loops that need to be gone through. That doesn't mean though that there are all bankers for guilty. In a PE all that has to be shown is that there is a prima facie case....on the face of it a crime occurred and the people charged with it are responsible for it. This is a low bar in terms of proving there are charges to be answered and it is rare for a case to be thrown out at PE stage. The other thing is a trial like this one is a 'celebrity ' one and will be covered wall to wall. If you go down the Magistrates Court innthe north or the district court in the south there are hundreds of cases being dealt with on a daily basis in each court. 95% of those will end up with a guilty plea.