Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2021, 08:18:59 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 03, 2021, 11:01:12 PM
Hope to god teachers are getting special training this week before they go to their almost certain death on 11th. It reminds me of the landing at Normandy, the heroes running for the classroom only for 70% of them to be gunned down by Covid. I can see a day we will all be arguing over the colour of the poppy to remember them by.

This is actually a good description of what it is like. In years to come they'll make a Band of Brothers mini series about this.

I thought so. I can see us having a minutes silence before all GAA matches and a new Poppy designed (green will probably win out to reflect the incredible patriots within the teaching industry) sown into all the jerseys. Anyone who points out that the teachers got it handy enough compared to nurses, doctors, factory workers, shop keepers etc will be loudly booed, bullets sent to them in the post etc.

Anyway, Jim comrade, I do hope you are one of the 20% (following O Neills assertion that 70% fatalities is too conservative I have revised up to 80%) and that you will be back here on the 12th January to tell us about the horrors that unfolded in the classroom.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2021, 09:22:54 AM
Hope to god teachers are getting special training this week before they go to their almost certain death on 11th. It reminds me of the landing at Normandy, the heroes running for the classroom only for 70% of them to be gunned down by Covid. I can see a day we will all be arguing over the colour of the poppy to remember them by.

This is actually a good description of what it is like. In years to come they'll make a Band of Brothers mini series about this.

I thought so. I can see us having a minutes silence before all GAA matches and a new Poppy designed (green will probably win out to reflect the incredible patriots within the teaching industry) sown into all the jerseys. Anyone who points out that the teachers got it handy enough compared to nurses, doctors, factory workers, shop keepers etc will be loudly booed, bullets sent to them in the post etc.

Anyway, Jim comrade, I do hope you are one of the 20% (following O Neills assertion that 70% fatalities is too conservative I have revised up to 80%) and that you will be back here on the 12th January to tell us about the horrors that unfolded in the classroom.
Put them on the €350/week COVID payment and they won't be long wanting to go back to work.

Taylor

While not a teacher I have serious reservations about kids going back into a classroom.

None of them are in this week however I am still undecided if I will send them back next week given the explosion of cases here

NAG1

Serious lack of leadership around this whole issue.

Problem also is that the range of experiences from home schooling vary massively. While some schools and teachers have stepped up there can be no argument that others have not. There should be a consistent approach across the sector but that would take some leadership which is completely lacking.

The spike of the Christmas gatherings is going hit toward the end of this week and yet we think it is Ok to be sending kids back into that environment next week.

JimStynes

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on January 04, 2021, 09:30:03 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2021, 09:22:54 AM

Put them on the €350/week COVID payment and they won't be long wanting to go back to work.

So not doing any online teaching then?

I'd say most teachers would take that...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Sure they are doing no online teaching as it is and getting full paid.

Itchy

Quote from: NAG1 on January 04, 2021, 09:54:07 AM
Serious lack of leadership around this whole issue.

Problem also is that the range of experiences from home schooling vary massively. While some schools and teachers have stepped up there can be no argument that others have not. There should be a consistent approach across the sector but that would take some leadership which is completely lacking.

The spike of the Christmas gatherings is going hit toward the end of this week and yet we think it is Ok to be sending kids back into that environment next week.

All joking aside, there is a serious lack of accountability. If schools close and teachers have to teach from home what happens if they don't. God knows there are some great teachers, highly motivated that would never allow their pupils education to falter. But there is also a large proportion of teachers that expect the Department to come to do a training course with them before they would turn on a computer. The issue is there is ZERO accountability in teaching for performance and when you have that how do you get people to anything? If I am a teacher and I just refuse to do any online work what happens to me? Nothing I imagine is the answer. I also think teachers should reflect on how their unions are representing them as they are the biggest embarrassment of unions I have come across and believe me I have come across a right few.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seaney on January 04, 2021, 10:48:29 AM

Bit early for you to be on the glue
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2021, 11:19:03 AM

Bit early for you to be on the glue

I wouldnt say it as a blanket approach but there is no doubt some kids are getting very little work to do.

December being December I would have expected many teachers to switch off but if remote learning continues in January and kids get the same (minimal) levels of online work to do I will be going to the principals of the 3 schools my kids are at to express my concern

laoislad

Online teaching? Who? My older 2 who are in school haven't even any school books at home as they are all kept in the school!
No online teaching happening here, maybe in the north but I couldn't give a fiddlers about the North.

marty34

Problem is the comparsion from first lock-down - every family had different experiences.  I know work was laid out on a weekly basis, as a menu i.e. pupils could do it or they didn't have to.  It was a matter of choice (by their parents).  From what I heard, I know some did everything, some did a bit and others never even contacted their teachers to say they were still alive!!

Different reasons for that apparently, some parents wanted routine, others wanted to keep them ticking over while other could'nt have care less about the work.  Another issue was some families had only one computer in house and maybe 3 or 4 kids loiking to use it.  Every situation was different.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents - they're the main educators in their kids' life.  Not too hard to print off a few sums and a comprehension every day as well as doing a bit of reading.

People always looking to blame somebody else. 

Spend some time with your kids instead of handing them a f'*king X-Box.

Taylor

Quote from: marty34 on January 04, 2021, 11:45:33 AM
Problem is the comparsion from first lock-down - every family had different experiences.  I know work was laid out on a weekly basis, as a menu i.e. pupils could do it or they didn't have to.  It was a matter of choice (by their parents).  From what I heard, I know some did everything, some did a bit and others never even contacted their teachers to say they were still alive!!

Different reasons for that apparently, some parents wanted routine, others wanted to keep them ticking over while other could'nt have care less about the work.  Another issue was some families had only one computer in house and maybe 3 or 4 kids loiking to use it.  Every situation was different.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents - they're the main educators in their kids' life.  Not too hard to print off a few sums and a comprehension every day as well as doing a bit of reading.

If households only have access to 1 computer I have my doubts they have a printer.

While you seem to be getting very defensive Marty, I can assure you work was not laid out on a weekly basis from my experience.

No doubt everywhere was different - Im not apportioning blame - Im telling you factually what happened in my experience

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on January 04, 2021, 11:45:33 AM
Problem is the comparsion from first lock-down - every family had different experiences. I know work was laid out on a weekly basis, as a menu i.e. pupils could do it or they didn't have to.  It was a matter of choice (by their parents).  From what I heard, I know some did everything, some did a bit and others never even contacted their teachers to say they were still alive!!

You know f**k all lad if you think that bit in bold was done across the board. Cheap shot blaming parents for not educating their children and doing the teachers job for them, most parents are trying to work you know if they are lucky enough t o be able to do that from home. Your post sums up a lot of what is wrong in a section of todays teachers.