Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2011, 11:59:49 AM
Just to let you all know.

Paul McCloskey's opponent for the 10th of September has been officially confirmed as Bredis Prescott.

Fight will be in the odyssey arena - Carl Frampton will be on the undercard.

Should be a great occasion for the Belfast fight crowd.

He should win this easily. Not sure he will get world title fight after it, might have to do good domestic dust up with Mitchell who stopped Murray at the weekend and handled Prescott easily (though was taken to the cleaners by Katsidis).

Atticus_Finch

Yes he will Cike (if he wins)  it's a WBA title eliminator - so he's one win away from another crack at a world title.

The Claw - You can get Judah at 9/2 on a couple of sites and generally seems to be 4/1 - think at that price he is definitely worth a punt.

On Tyson, tell me this do any of you have any argument about Tyson making the hall of fame ?  Read an article recently by Teddy Atlas in which he argued that he shouldn't have ... i can see this post turning into an essay so will try keep it brief ... his main argument was that Tyson always came up short when someone didn't let Tyson intimidate them and they would go on to test Tyson that he didn't have any answer .. Would any of you agree ?

Needless to say Atlas has a lot of bitterness towards Tyson.  Read his book a few years back and it wasn't a bad read.  Summary of his relationship with Tyson is that he would have helped out with the training of Tyson but came to a turbulent end when Tyson (at the time 15) alledgedly sexually assaulted Atla's niece who was 11. Atlas reaction ..... he pointed a gun at Tyson's head and threatened to put him on a night train to the big adios.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

CiKe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2011, 11:23:30 PM
Yes he will Cike (if he wins)  it's a WBA title eliminator - so he's one win away from another crack at a world title.

The Claw - You can get Judah at 9/2 on a couple of sites and generally seems to be 4/1 - think at that price he is definitely worth a punt.

On Tyson, tell me this do any of you have any argument about Tyson making the hall of fame ?  Read an article recently by Teddy Atlas in which he argued that he shouldn't have ... i can see this post turning into an essay so will try keep it brief ... his main argument was that Tyson always came up short when someone didn't let Tyson intimidate them and they would go on to test Tyson that he didn't have any answer .. Would any of you agree ?

Needless to say Atlas has a lot of bitterness towards Tyson.  Read his book a few years back and it wasn't a bad read.  Summary of his relationship with Tyson is that he would have helped out with the training of Tyson but came to a turbulent end when Tyson (at the time 15) alledgedly sexually assaulted Atla's niece who was 11. Atlas reaction ..... he pointed a gun at Tyson's head and threatened to put him on a night train to the big adios.

Didn't know was an eliminator. Whilst stoppage last time out was farcical I thought he'd have to beat someone better than Prescott to get another shot.

Whatever about Tyson the man, there is no way he should not be Hall of Fame. He beat a lot of good/decent boxers in addition to a few questionable ones at a ridiculously young age for a heavyweight. He annihilated Spinks - who I don't think was intimidated - beat Bonecrusher Smith, annilhlated Tucker (Bowe only just beat him on points), completely dominated Ruddock in the first fight....the second coming well, wasn't quite the same thing, but I don't think there will be a 20yr old tearing up the division again in my lifetime.

DennistheMenace

No debate to be had re Tyson, Hall of Famer without doubt and one of the most exciting fighters ever. His personal life is irrelevant. Rocky on the otherhand..

Atticus_Finch

The funny thing is that Atlas had no argument about Rocky making the hall of fame ... and neither do i to be honest because he wasn't included in a participant category ...

There's five categories that you can be inducted in the hall of fame under:

- Modern (Last fight after 1943)

- Old-Timer (Last fight no earlier than 1893 no later than 1942)

- Pioneer (Last fight before 1892)

-Non- Participant  (Those who have made contributions to the sport
  apart from roles as boxers or observers)

-Observer (Print and media journalists, publishers, writers,
  historians, photographers and artists)

I think Stallone was included in the observer category as the screen writer of rocky and from that respect it's hard to begrude him his place there and also his role in the contender series a few years back would have helped propel him there too.

I think for most fight fans that the observer category will obviously not hold the same prestige as one of the participant categories and rightly so ... but it still merits a category in the hall of fame nonetheless.

By the way i wasn't saying i sided with Atlas' views on Tyson making the HOF - Tyson is deservedly in there and should be considered as one of the greats.

Rav67

Quote from: CiKe on July 20, 2011, 08:50:49 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2011, 11:23:30 PM

Didn't know was an eliminator. Whilst stoppage last time out was farcical I thought he'd have to beat someone better than Prescott to get another shot.Whatever about Tyson the man, there is no way he should not be Hall of Fame. He beat a lot of good/decent boxers in addition to a few questionable ones at a ridiculously young age for a heavyweight. He annihilated Spinks - who I don't think was intimidated - beat Bonecrusher Smith, annilhlated Tucker (Bowe only just beat him on points), completely dominated Ruddock in the first fight....the second coming well, wasn't quite the same thing, but I don't think there will be a 20yr old tearing up the division again in my lifetime.

The reason for that is that the Khan v Judah fight is for the WBA "super" belt.  Maidana holds the interim WBA belt at the minute and, if he wins his next fight, he will go into the ring with the winner of McCloskey v Prescott to contest the "regular" WBA belt.  A totally farcical situation with regards to belts, hard to know what to consider a proper world title fight any more.

Is WBA the only one of the recognised (WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF) organisations to have this super-belt arrangement in place or are they all doing it now?

Atticus_Finch

Anyone any links to streams for this ?  Finding it pretty hard to come by ...

Atticus_Finch

http://www.justin.tv/455259#/w/1515858704 don't know if it will last long but give it a try

The Claw

Any other links? That one is closed

Gabriel_Hurl

Its over in the fifth.

How Judah can say that shot caught him in the balls - I dunno

heganboy

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 24, 2011, 04:11:10 AM
Its over in the fifth.

agreed! he's some balls on him, and claiming he thought he was getting a standing 8 count when he was on his knees was pretty ballsy too.

Khan looked at least a weight class above, and Judah was looking for an easy way out.

Despite HBO doing a Mayweather Hard Knocks special- tough to get into a fight thats 7-1.

Money vs Pacquiao or nothing at the minute, is there another fight out there that gets anyone new interested in boxing?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

Quote from: heganboy on July 24, 2011, 04:26:05 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 24, 2011, 04:11:10 AM
Its over in the fifth.

agreed! he's some balls on him, and claiming he thought he was getting a standing 8 count when he was on his knees was pretty ballsy too.

Khan looked at least a weight class above, and Judah was looking for an easy way out.

Despite HBO doing a Mayweather Hard Knocks special- tough to get into a fight thats 7-1.

Money vs Pacquiao or nothing at the minute, is there another fight out there that gets anyone new interested in boxing?
What next for Khan? Is a Mayweather bout on the cards anytime soon?

Jimmy

Got to give it to Kahn, he looked good last night even though I hate the sight of the little p***k.

The head of golden boy talked about a four fight plan for Kahn. Another light-welter weight fight in December. They hope Bradley before moving up to welter. They talked about a British fight (probably Kell Brook as there is quite a bit of needle between the two of them) a third fight which I can't remember before endinging with Mayweather next year, possibly in UK.

quit yo jibbajabba

cant believe there wasnt a mention of Fury Chisora on here :P

the big mans goin on to fight one of the klitchkos doncha know!

Minder

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 24, 2011, 10:57:53 PM
cant believe there wasnt a mention of Fury Chisora on here :P

the big mans goin on to fight one of the klitchkos doncha know!

There doesent look to be much power in his punches.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"