Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: INDIANA on July 03, 2011, 01:44:38 PM
Was the equivalent of a 4-15 to 0-5 points defeat in a Gaa match.

Haye was hammered and whingeing after the event  wont hide it.

Yeah, he was humiliated and shown up for what he is - a classless muppet who would be an unknown in almost any other era.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 03, 2011, 11:10:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 03, 2011, 01:44:38 PM
Was the equivalent of a 4-15 to 0-5 points defeat in a Gaa match.

Haye was hammered and whingeing after the event  wont hide it.

Yeah, he was humiliated and shown up for what he is - a classless muppet who would be an unknown in almost any other era.

Could you imagine the reaction if Nadal took of his sock to show the crowd at Wimbledon that he had a sore toe?

Mind you if Sharapova had gone down that route.........
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Haye didn't offfer much offensively yet Klitschko didn't do anything special either.  Haye didn't look too bad after the fight for a man that was hammered, his face was fresher looking than Klitschko's. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Imagine a 21 year old Iron Mike in the ring with those 2 clowns.

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on July 04, 2011, 09:05:54 AM

I still get annoyed when I read anything about Kevin McBride ending Mike Tysons career, or the 'great Lennox Lewis' who beat Tyson etc.  Lewis was nothing special and Tyson couldn't get up of his hole against McBride, I would love to have seen a 21 year old Tyson in the ring with either man, aswell as Holyfield. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 04, 2011, 10:59:24 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 04, 2011, 09:05:54 AM

I still get annoyed when I read anything about Kevin McBride ending Mike Tysons career, or the 'great Lennox Lewis' who beat Tyson etc.  Lewis was nothing special and Tyson couldn't get up of his hole against McBride, I would love to have seen a 21 year old Tyson in the ring with either man, aswell as Holyfield.

Lunacy. Lewis was an absolutely fabulous boxer. The aura of Tyson masks the fact that his pure boxing skills were not up to the level of some others. Half his opponents were beaten before leaving the dressing room. Would loved to have seen him go up against Bowe.

The Iceman

Tyson had a lot of skill. Yes he had an aura and the like of Bruno were beaten before the first bell but how do you account for his early victories of the likes of Berbick or Smith? You do him a massive injustice by overlooking his pure skill.
With his head on right and the right people around him, Tyson was something else.

He would have taken Bowe apart.

Its hard to really judge how modern day fighters would match up against the legends of old. A 100% Tyson will always be my number one.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Quote from: The Iceman on July 14, 2011, 02:11:09 PM
Tyson had a lot of skill. Yes he had an aura and the like of Bruno were beaten before the first bell but how do you account for his early victories of the likes of Berbick or Smith? You do him a massive injustice by overlooking his pure skill.
With his head on right and the right people around him, Tyson was something else.

Its hard to really judge how modern day fighters would match up against the legends of old. A 100% Tyson will always be my number one.....

Agreed.  When he went at full tilt nobody could defend themselves.  I will never forget the sight of Tyson bouncing Trevor Berbick around the ring.

Atticus_Finch

Just to let you all know.

Paul McCloskey's opponent for the 10th of September has been officially confirmed as Bredis Prescott.

Fight will be in the odyssey arena - Carl Frampton will be on the undercard.

Should be a great occasion for the Belfast fight crowd.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

J OGorman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2011, 11:59:49 AM

Paul McCloskey's opponent for the 10th of September has been officially confirmed as Bredis Prescott.

brilliant, world title fight next if Dudey is victorious

The Claw

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 19, 2011, 11:59:49 AM

That'll be a great night. Tough fight for Dudey though no question.

What about Khan v Judah? I would have thought Judah was great value at 7/2?

gallsman

Lol, Bowe had the size and skill the way Lewis did and would have handled Mike no bother. Holyfield boxed the ears off him. Twice. I'll give you Bonecrusher, fair enough but Berbick?! Berbick fought a 39 year old, finished Ali and then won the title against Pinklon Thomas. What was that impressive about him that it should stand out on his record!?

Minder

We will never know if Bowe would have beaten Tyson but he certainly wouldn't have been intimidated by him.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2011, 06:55:18 PM

Lol, Bowe had the size and skill the way Lewis did and would have handled Mike no bother. Holyfield boxed the ears off him. Twice. I'll give you Bonecrusher, fair enough but Berbick?! Berbick fought a 39 year old, finished Ali and then won the title against Pinklon Thomas. What was that impressive about him that it should stand out on his record!?

I put their names out there because they were "names" at the time and the first big scalps for Tyson. We can only compare apples to apples and Tyson easily disposed of the biggest names in his division at the time.
When he went against Lewis he wasn't the fresh 21 year old with his head on right, and that the fighter I am talking about.
For me (you can disagree) Tyson would have walked through Bowe, fought him inside and broke him.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

CiKe

Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2011, 06:55:18 PM

who did Bowe beat apart from Holyfield? Bowe was a skilled boxer and a big man, but if I recall Golota was beating him twice before he got himself disqualified. Bowe could have been brilliant but was lazy. Think it would have been a good fight but peak Tyson vs peak Bowe, think Tyson beats him.

To all intents and purposes however Tyson's era was before both Bowe and Lewis because unusually for a heavyweight he peaked in his early 20's - forget about him post jail when he himself didn't beat anyone of note (Bruce Seldon was a world champ for God's sake). At their peaks I think Lewis would have been too big for him, but if they fought in the early 90's Tyson would have gone through him the way McCall did.