Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Carl won that fight but  would be worried about not being able to land a knockout  punch to finish that guy off.

Going ten rounds for the first time will only make him stronger but onwards and upwards for this lad. Hopefully a British title fight at the start of next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Claw

Round 1 to Rees. Rees looks fast.

The Claw

I'd call Rd 2 even enough, sky commentators seems to think it was to Rees easily.

The Claw

Rd 3 to Rees, thought commentators thought Murray did better. Rees is very fast, I think Murray should try to let Rees make the first move rather than throwing the first punch.

The Claw

Rd 4 edged by Rees. Not looking good for Murray

sammymaguire

Murray needs to sting that lads ears good and well as he is swinging like mad but not hurting his opponent at all. Gonna cost him if he can't make Rees think he is dangerous
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Claw

Rd 5 Rees. Murray started the round well but Rees took over after that. Hoping Rees will tire

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: The Claw on June 02, 2011, 05:16:08 PM
Atticus
Having an interest in boxing, I find your posts very informative and I'd like to encourage you to share you information here when possible. I'd also like to know, where do you read about boxing? Any papers over here just cover Irish boxers and its as if Europe doesn't exist when it comes to the American websites!

Paul McCloskey vs Marcos Maidana has been agreed in principal to take place in September.  Obviously there is a lot of stuff to be ironed out but if it does go ahead, there is a distinct possibility of it happening here !

Sorry Claw, haven't been on in a bit.  I subscribe to the Boxing News.  It's a weekly magazine, has it's flaws but anything else about is monthly so i'll take it.  There's a couple of decent boxing journalists out there writing for British national papers, i think the pick of them is Jeff Powell that writes for the daily mail.  You can get most of his stuff online and don't necessarily have to get the paper.  Also, Steve Bunce has a weekly podcast that I make a point of listening to each week.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/bunce - enjoy his show, got chatting to him during the Dudey fight in manchester and he comes across as a very civil bloke.  This week's show is quite good,  large chunk of it is devoted to Barry McGuigan who's promoting his new book, he has some interesting anecdotes, I think his book will be worth a read by the sounds of the interview.

Which brings me on to his protege - Carl Frampton - bit disappointed with him tonight.  Yeah the lad he was fighting was a durable enough cub but still presented more than enough openings which i would have thought Frampton would have made more of.  Just think he had a bit of an off night, previous times i've watched him he's seemed quite clinical.  Just didn't click tonight, his timing looked off, and that was clearly shown at the end of the seventh round (think it was the seventh) when he threw a punch well after the bell which he was duly penalised for.

Cike - Peterson past his best ? He's only 27 and his record is fairly impressive, one loss to timothy Bradley and one draw with Ortiz.  wouldn't have minded Dudey facing Guzman at all, due to his recent problems and lay off but all that is neither here and there as hopefully the Dudey vs Maidana bout will come to fruition.  Maidana is fairly crude one dimensional fighter and think Dudey would be in with a good shout if it happens. 

Right i'm away to watch the rest of this Murray fight properly, I hate to say it but at the minute i don't think Murray will last the distance.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Claw

Don't see a way back for Murray. The difference in speed is glaring

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on June 05, 2011, 12:08:47 AM
Quote from: The Claw on June 02, 2011, 05:16:08 PM
Atticus
Having an interest in boxing, I find your posts very informative and I'd like to encourage you to share you information here when possible. I'd also like to know, where do you read about boxing? Any papers over here just cover Irish boxers and its as if Europe doesn't exist when it comes to the American websites!

Paul McCloskey vs Marcos Maidana has been agreed in principal to take place in September.  Obviously there is a lot of stuff to be ironed out but if it does go ahead, there is a distinct possibility of it happening here !

Sorry Claw, haven't been on in a bit.  I subscribe to the Boxing News.  It's a weekly magazine, has it's flaws but anything else about is monthly so i'll take it.  There's a couple of decent boxing journalists out there writing for British national papers, i think the pick of them is Jeff Powell that writes for the daily mail.  You can get most of his stuff online and don't necessarily have to get the paper.  Also, Steve Bunce has a weekly podcast that I make a point of listening to each week.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/bunce - enjoy his show, got chatting to him during the Dudey fight in manchester and he comes across as a very civil bloke.  This week's show is quite good,  large chunk of it is devoted to Barry McGuigan who's promoting his new book, he has some interesting anecdotes, I think his book will be worth a read by the sounds of the interview.

Which brings me on to his protege - Carl Frampton - bit disappointed with him tonight.  Yeah the lad he was fighting was a durable enough cub but still presented more than enough openings which i would have thought Frampton would have made more of.  Just think he had a bit of an off night, previous times i've watched him he's seemed quite clinical.  Just didn't click tonight, his timing looked off, and that was clearly shown at the end of the seventh round (think it was the seventh) when he threw a punch well after the bell which he was duly penalised for.

Cike - Peterson past his best ? He's only 27 and his record is fairly impressive, one loss to timothy Bradley and one draw with Ortiz.  wouldn't have minded Dudey facing Guzman at all, due to his recent problems and lay off but all that is neither here and there as hopefully the Dudey vs Maidana bout will come to fruition.  Maidana is fairly crude one dimensional fighter and think Dudey would be in with a good shout if it happens. 

Right i'm away to watch the rest of this Murray fight properly, I hate to say it but at the minute i don't think Murray will last the distance.

Yes can only be a good thing for Carl as he has had handy fights of late and this should hopefully refocus him. if he wants to fight the bigger names out there at his level he should have put this lad away. But in the end beat him handy enough but didn't shine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

C'Mon Murray yaaaa boy yeee
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

bridgegael

wats happenin?  cant see it
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

The Claw

he had a good round but too little too late imo

sammymaguire

Quote from: bridgegael on June 05, 2011, 12:23:31 AM
wats happenin?  cant see it

They are trying to hug each other to death now, going in to last round
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Claw

Disappointed in Murray, couldn't take the last number of rounds convincingly when Rees clearly had nothing left in the tank.