Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Gladiator is a great show, good call lads havent seen it in yrs though. Isnt it strange that copyright still allowed other movies of the same name aka russell crowes one..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

The Iceman

Make 'em think you're weak when you're strong......

Aye i think Russell Crowes film pushed the boxing Gladiator into obscurity. I know a lot of people haven't even heard of it!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Go home ref

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 21, 2011, 11:41:33 PM
Delighted Groves got it. Can't stand that DeGale. Who's ugly now ya p***k?

Yes brilliant thrilled that ar$ehole DeGale got beat who does he think he is? Some of the stuff he said to Groves was a disgrace

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2011, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: maigheo on May 22, 2011, 05:54:31 AM
Bernard Hopkins becomes the oldest world champion after defeating Jean Pasqual tonite.Some man.

A glorified spoiler who is nothing but a racist and because he is black he gets away with it.

Wouldnt agree with that. I think a lot of it is trash talk. I remember this story about him:
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-negler110208

Atticus_Finch

Iceman - Just finished watching Gladiator there ... can see why it wouldn't be a critic's cup of tea ... but have to say, I enjoyed it !

few wee mini spoilers coming up so do not read on if you are interested in watching it ....

Thought i was in store for a ridiculous film when in his first fight, Tommy reilly not only defeated his opponent, but while he was at it he thought he'd do a "Skinner Bradley" and clock the ref as well ... declaring himself the winner while the ref was out for the count on the canvas  :D

Loved that rap version of "In the name of love" !

But like any boxing movie worth it's salt .... it left ya with that Rockesque feeling whereby you feel that after watching the film you think you could not only be a boxer but be one of the greatest of all time !
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Iceman

Glad you liked it lad. You South Derry wans don't need to much to rile yous up - maybe a good thing you didn't see it growing up - the Elk would have been clean wrecked
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

andoireabu

Heard a rumour that if Amir Kahn vacates his title if he moves up a weight, then the fight for it would be Paul McCloskey against Maidana.

Maybe some of you boys who know more about boxing than me could clear it up for me.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Atticus_Finch

I can't see Khan vacating his title anytime soon,  he's due to fight Zab Judah at the end of next month and that'll be at light welter and would be an attractive bout as Khan holds the WBA belt and Judah holds the IBF belt. Also despite some of Freddie Roach's chat about Khan moving up a divison, I really can't see it while the prospect of a super money fight with Timothy Bradley is a possibility.

That's not to say that McCloskey vs Maidana couldn't happen, but it wouldn't be for a title. 

Following the Khan fight, his shortlist for his next opponent included the below four fighters:

Khan - Rematch fight - never going to happen, so i'll stop there.
Judah - Was a possibility and it was a fight that would have earned Dudey a great deal of respect if he'd come out with a favourable result.  But Judah is now going to fight Khan.
Prescott - Out of all of the four was the most likely fight to take place, Prescott would be willing to travel and it would be a very marketable fight in Ireland and the UK given Prescott beat Khan.  However, doesn't look likely to happen at all as Dudey believes that Prescott has moved up in weight.
Maidana - Considered in the top 4 or 5 of the division, would be considered a huge scalp if Dudey won and would move him right up the rankings.  He would definitely have to travel to the States for it. I'm not that sure Maidana would jump at the chance to be honest.

In my opinion, i think the best course of action would be to cast the net a bit further and look at the likes of Lamont Peterson or Joan Guzman.  In particular I would be looking at Joan Guzman as a viable option, it would be a winnable fight and would sell out Madison Square Garden, raising Dudey's profile in America with Irish american boxing fans eager for someone to cheer on after John Duddy hung up the gloves.  Guzman, who was once considered on pound for pound lists, has had a lot of problems over the past year with weight and received an 8 month ban for a failed drug test in january.  That would ban would be up at around the time that the Hearns are looking to stage Dudey's next fight (late September /October).

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Claw

Atticus
Having an interest in boxing, I find your posts very informative and I'd like to encourage you to share you information here when possible. I'd also like to know, where do you read about boxing? Any papers over here just cover Irish boxers and its as if Europe doesn't exist when it comes to the American websites!

CiKe

Peterson he beats, think would also beat Holt, decent names to have though past their best. As you say would raise profile. Alexander might be a bit away yet. I'd be more wary of Guzman than Maidana. Talk of him as P4P was a bit much but good boxer with good dig - lot more nous about him than Maidana who I would fancy McCloskey to beat if he let his hands go.

beer baron

Anyone know what time the Murrray fights likely to start?

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Claw

Quote from: beer baron on June 04, 2011, 09:44:24 PM
I'd say between now and 11pm

The Claw

Quote from: The Claw on June 04, 2011, 10:34:21 PM
Quote from: beer baron on June 04, 2011, 09:44:24 PM
I'd say between now and 11pm
Actually now Ladbrokes website has it at 23.30

beer baron

Brilliant stream cheers!