Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

I had De Gale 115-113, but glad he got beat!  Groves fought a very clever fight, he was much more impressive than when he beat that Scottish fella before Christmas which is the only other time I've seen him.

maigheo

Bernard Hopkins becomes the oldest world champion after defeating Jean Pasqual tonite.Some man.

Club Rossa

Delighted to see Groves win,there was little to choose between them but i think it was the right decision.DeGale is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is,hopefully that will take him down a peg or two.

JimStynes

Quote from: Club Rossa on May 22, 2011, 10:20:00 AM
Delighted to see Groves win,there was little to choose between them but i think it was the right decision.DeGale is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is,hopefully that will take him down a peg or two.

+1

B-Hop doing press ups in the ring last night  ;D

Also i didnt see this one coming:

Oscar De La Hoya Checks Himself Into Rehab

Oscar De La Hoya has checked himself into a rehabilitation clinic in California, according to TMZ. Oscar De La Hoya is said to have checked in within the last few weeks for an unknown abuse problem.

The boxing legend had tweeted various motivational messages in the past few days, such as: 'Take a deep breath and let out all that anger that makes you hate. it really is going to be o.k' and 'Stop finding excuses not to live. Life is controlled by what you make of it and not of what it makes of you.' Following TMZ's report on Saturday (22 May 2011), ESPN reports that, in a statement, De La Hoya claimed: 'After doing an honest evaluation of myself, I recognize that there are certain issues that I need to work on. Like everyone, I have my flaws, and I do not want to be one of those people that is afraid to admit and address those flaws.' De La Hoya has asked people to respect his privacy in the next few months.

Oscar De La Hoya, who had won an Olympic Medal back in 1992, has a career record of 39-6. He retired from boxing in 2009.

nrico2006

Quote from: maigheo on May 22, 2011, 05:54:31 AM
Bernard Hopkins becomes the oldest world champion after defeating Jean Pasqual tonite.Some man.

A glorified spoiler who is nothing but a racist and because he is black he gets away with it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gold

Great to see that **** DeGale grttin beat. What a dickhead he was at that press conference--as was the boy Cleverly.

Fair play to B Hop there--theres a film in that --he was stabbed  times by age 13 and served 5 years of an 18 year sentence when 17 yo before turning pro.

Cinderalla Man is some film by the way about Jim Brannock--light heavyweight fighter in the 1940's with Russell Crowe in it--highly recommend watchin it if anyone hasnt seen it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

unitedireland

This is a video from Andy Lee's latest fight.
Andy Lee against Alex Bunema round 8.
http://youtu.be/OJiaQRySaDc

Atticus_Finch

Having watched the fight, while it was fairly tight, i think De Gale won that by a couple of rounds.

De Gale is not a liked chap and wonder how much inflluence the crowd would have had on the judges.

Having said that not going to lose any sleep over De Gale not coming out the right side of a decision, he has no class and didn't show Groves any semblance of respect.  He walked into that ring so casually you would have thought he was going to get breakfast.

Yeah Gold - Cinderella man is a great show, the book the film is based on about James Braddock's life is also very good.

Brings me to the question, what are people's top 5 favourite boxing films ?

Without having give it too much thought, my top 5 is as follows:

5. Rocky IV
4. The Hurricane
3. Cinderella Man
2. On the Waterfront
1. Raging Bull

Would love someone to make a film out of Roberto Duran's biography, Hands of Stone.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Iceman

Was wondering if people thought DeGale was playing the part of the bad guy because it sells fights and gets him exposure?

To answer your boxing film question I would rank:

1. Rocky IV
2. Rocky III
3. Gladiator (Underground boxing with Cuba Gooding Jnr.)
4. Diggstown
5. Million Dollar Baby

I know these wouldn't be conventional picks but I really enjoyed them.....

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: The Iceman on May 23, 2011, 08:10:41 PM
Was wondering if people thought DeGale was playing the part of the bad guy because it sells fights and gets him exposure?

To answer your boxing film question I would rank:

1. Rocky IV
2. Rocky III
3. Gladiator (Underground boxing with Cuba Gooding Jnr.)4. Diggstown
5. Million Dollar Baby

I know these wouldn't be conventional picks but I really enjoyed them.....

I love that film.

The great Tommy Riley.

Golden Gloves Champ!

Declan

When we were Kings
Somebody up there likes me
The Set Up ( I remember watching this years ago with my father and thought it as great)
On the waterfront
Raging Bull

Followed closely by the Champ ;)

SLIGONIAN

All the bitching and public persona boxers has to be faked? Surely, its all about promotion, its all about selling the fight. Is degale that big a w**ker, i have my doubts, look a haye kiltskho i reckon they like each other deep down...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Atticus_Finch

I think with all his pre-fight  "ugly boy" chat and also his "winner takes all" bet, De Gale reminded me a bit of Floyd Mayweather and i think that was intentional on De Gale's part.

Unfortunately for De Gale while he could imitate some traits of PBF's behaviour outside the ring he wasn't so good at replicating his behaviour inside the ring.

Mayweather once said the following about himself :

"I'm running my mouth a lot and I'm looking for a guy to shut me up. If you don't shut me up I'm going to keep running my mouth. "

De Gale has now found that someone that has shut him up, it will be interesting to see how he acts in the run up to his next fight.

On the subject of boxing films - just ordered Homeboy, Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken is in it. Think i watched it years and years ago and thought it was a good show at the time but can't really remember it.  Just checked a reviews site and it got some terrible reviews ... i figure it's worth a shout as it was only a couple of quid on play.com.

While i was at it ordered Gladiator and Somebody up there likes me, hadn't ever heard of either of them to be honest but they sound worth a watch.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

screenexile

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 23, 2011, 11:43:14 PM
I think with all his pre-fight  "ugly boy" chat and also his "winner takes all" bet, De Gale reminded me a bit of Floyd Mayweather and i think that was intentional on De Gale's part.

Unfortunately for De Gale while he could imitate some traits of PBF's behaviour outside the ring he wasn't so good at replicating his behaviour inside the ring.

Mayweather once said the following about himself :

"I'm running my mouth a lot and I'm looking for a guy to shut me up. If you don't shut me up I'm going to keep running my mouth. "

De Gale has now found that someone that has shut him up, it will be interesting to see how he acts in the run up to his next fight.

On the subject of boxing films - just ordered Homeboy, Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken is in it. Think i watched it years and years ago and thought it was a good show at the time but can't really remember it.  Just checked a reviews site and it got some terrible reviews ... i figure it's worth a shout as it was only a couple of quid on play.com.

While i was at it ordered Gladiator and Somebody up there likes me, hadn't ever heard of either of them to be honest but they sound worth a watch.

Gladiator is a great movie I loved it very gritty!

The Iceman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 23, 2011, 11:43:14 PM

Let us know what you make of Gladiator when you're done.
Also Diggstown / Midnight Sting is worth a watch if you haven't seen it
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight