Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Don't get me wrong Dudey is a good enough fighter who will earn enough respect followed by enough money to make a life out of boxing, he comes across well when doing interviews and could well get a job in commentating after his career finishes. (could do no worse than the other clampits who currently do it)

I went to two of his bouts so it's not like i was basing my opinions of him from afar. He should get a few more cracks at various B titles of which he'll have to win well to get another dig at big men of that division. A lot of good fighters in the top flight and Khan probably the worst of them.

I accept your take on how Dudey was going about his fight that night. Well all have opinions and views and we wont always agree so we'll leave it at that ;) ;)

When do you think he'll get another fight?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Atticus_Finch

There's a chance he could be chief support to Khan's next proposed bout which would be 23rd of July.

Problem being with team Khan nothing is straightforward and once upon a time that fight was to be against timothy bradley - that doesn't look like it'll happen now and Khan's plan B is to look at opponents that dudey was tentatively getting matched with.

So it would really depend on that in my opinion but at this stage i think it would be unlikely that he wold fight on July 23.  Froch joining up with the Hearns probably isn't the best of news for Dudey.  Froch will deservedly be their number one boy and they will rightly devote quite a bit of energy to promoting him just hope that's not to the detriment of Dudey.

No matter what, i would be surprised if Dudey doesn't have his next fight before October.

From watching the highlights this morning I can see that Sky are putting a lot of efforts into advertising their next PPV adventure - Groves vs De Gale.  once again not a ppv event in my opinion, even if Nathan Cleverly is on the undercard.  Sky seem to be a bit too keen to put the British fights on box office.  Only British box office fighters out there at the minute in my opinion are Carl Froch and David Haye.

I see it looks like Khan has gone crawling back to Alex Ariza (strength and conditioning coach for the Maidana fight) i hope Ariza tells him where to go - that's my last bit of Khan bashing for a good while, promise  ;)

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Rav67

Was thinking the same Atticus when I saw on Ringside that the Groves v De Gale fight is PPV, what a f**king joke considering the level those boys are at right now.  I think they hope the fight will sell due to the supposed hatred between the 2 from their amateur days- fair enough a bit of drama/theatre can add to the build-up for a fight but this isn't the feckin WWE and most people recognise that it's bullshit anyway.

It's also very strange that the Cleverly fight is on the undercard given that it's for a world title!

Sandino

I see that Lionel Rose the first aboriginal to win a world title has died.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

gallsman

Quote from: Sandino on May 08, 2011, 05:50:10 PM
I see that Lionel Rose the first aboriginal to win a world title has died.

Boxing's most famous pipe smoker!

Denn Forever

Next Tuesday on More4.  Could be interesting.

22:00 Tyson (T) (2008, Documentary) James Toback's documentary exploring the life and career of boxer Mike Tyson. A series of frank and revealing interviews with the man himself lifts the lid on his time under the guidance of promoter Don King, his conviction on sexual assault charges and the truth behind his actions during the infamous bout with Evander Holyfield.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

JimStynes

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 08, 2011, 08:08:41 PM

22:00 Tyson (T) (2008, Documentary) James Toback's documentary exploring the life and career of boxer Mike Tyson. A series of frank and revealing interviews with the man himself lifts the lid on his time under the guidance of promoter Don King, his conviction on sexual assault charges and the truth behind his actions during the infamous bout with Evander Holyfield.

This is a great show. It's quite sad at times and shows a different side of Iron Mike than what people are used to seeing.

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 08, 2011, 08:57:39 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on May 08, 2011, 08:08:41 PM

This is a great show. It's quite sad at times and shows a different side of Iron Mike than what people are used to seeing.

Agreed, it's excellent.

isourboydownyet

yip it's a good show but tyson is one f**ked up man

The Iceman

In his defense I think a lot of people would be as bad or worse off after the upbringing he had, the situations he was exposed to etc....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

unitedireland

Can anyone find highlights of andy lee fight against alex bunema last night in the states it was PPV.???

nrico2006

Looking forward to seeing Groves against DeGale at the weekend, never wanted to see a fella get beat as much as I do DeGale.  On top of that a fighter I have followed since his amateur days (Tony Bellew) has been drafted in to fight Nathan Cleverly.  Bellew has fists of dynamite, but I am worried about his ability to take a punch after he was down a few times recently. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13458225.stm

I'm wondering was the above staged to try and generate some interest in the fight !

Quite entertaining ! 

Only reason i'll now watch it is because it's been moved from box office, it should never have been there in the first place but now that Braehmer has pulled out of the Cleverly bout Sky had no option.

As for getting an opponent at 48 hours notice, I think Frank Warren's done the best he could have with getting Bellew to step in. Fair play to Bellew for taking the fight at 48 hours notice, surely he must be a relation to Francie Bellew with a display of bravery like that ?  Can't say i've followed his career but watched his last fight against Ovill McKenzie and i would be surprised if he troubles Cleverly.

For me De Gale to win on points.

And Cleverly to stop Bellew in the 6th round.

JimStynes

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 19, 2011, 11:22:30 AM
Looking forward to seeing Groves against DeGale at the weekend, never wanted to see a fella get beat as much as I do DeGale.  On top of that a fighter I have followed since his amateur days (Tony Bellew) has been drafted in to fight Nathan Cleverly.  Bellew has fists of dynamite, but I am worried about his ability to take a punch after he was down a few times recently.

DeGales trash talk is cringe worthy. Hope he gets knocked out.

Atticus_Finch

Bellew didn't make the weight and Warren decided against staging it at a catch weight and being a non title bout.

Cleverly now fighting some Polish chap Aleksy Kuziemski

Nothing is ever straight forward in boxing !