Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Family guy

Cheers,will be hard to stay up to watch it but might try to

Blowitupref

Fight won't be on until 4am by the looks of it?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

gallsman

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2011, 02:14:49 AM
Fight won't be on until 4am by the looks of it?

Big Vegas fights usually around 4-4.30am Irish time.

gallsman

Regardless of the decision here, Pavlik is well on his way to being a shot fighter.

gallsman

Outstanding final warm up fight between Arce and Vasquez. Joe Cortez let the final barrage go on too long, Vasquez resembled a bottle head by that stage. Didn't look like he was jumping in until the towel was thrown in.

Blowitupref

Wow that was some fight, some turnaround by Jorge arce
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Pac-man packing the punch again, Mosley will do well to recover from that round.

Blowitupref

Mosley has recovered & no doubt will be looking to go the distance now.

gallsman

Dreadful knockdown call in a round Pacquiao dominated!

Blowitupref

Yeah joke though it's a Poor fight, crowd sounding very frustrated.

gallsman

Deserved win, but poor fight in the end. No relentless pace from Pacquiao like we're used to, showed flashes and the left has Mosley's head snapping a few times.

Mayweather wouldn't have been made any more terrified having watched it.

bridgegael

how did prizefighter finish up?  how did perez go?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Atticus_Finch

Perez won.

In some style as well - I missed his first fight but won the others by early stoppage.  Seemed to be a cut above everyone else on show.

Although in saying that, the lineup wasn't of the best quality on the night,  it was hit by the withdrawal of Juan Carlos Gomez and Fres Oquendo (David Haye's sparring partner).

But still Perez did well and hopefully looks set to inject a bit of excitement in the heavyweight division and even with the looming contest of haye vs Klitschko that is always still welcome.

Laughing at someone here describing him as a cork lad, i was just waiting for him to refer to the rest of his opponents as "langers" when he was getting interviewed last night !

He's one out of a trio of lads that defected from Cuba a number of years back and are now based in Cork.  Out of the three of them, Alexei Acosta is the one that was regarded as having the most talent you might have come across him along with the other cork based cuban Luis Garcia on the undercard of a couple of Brian Peter's shows.  Was told that Mike Perez didn't show the best attitude and was partial to a sup since his defection.  He couldn't have done much more to impress last night and hopefully prizegfighter will open a few doors for him.  He has a great ring entrace tune - Shipping up to boston by The Dropkick Murphys.  The irish have clearly already warmed to him.

Just finished watching the highlights of the Pacquiao vs Mosley bout - glad i did not stay up to watch it.  It was nothing more than Joshua Clottey the sequel.  Mosley was always going to be content with going the distance.  If there's anything to be taken from that fight at all - you could say that it strengthens the case for those that would argue that Mayweather would come on top should him and Pacman ever meet.  If Pacman found it difficult enough to open up holes in Mosley's defence, he's not exactly going to find it easy to achieve against PBF.  Although at this stage if they ever did fight you'd have to wonder would PBF suffer from any ring rust he hasn't fought for a year but providing these court cases go his way i tihnk he's due to fight Victor Ortiz later this year - I could be wrong in thinking that.

Enjoyed the Arce vs vaquez show prior to it - at least it had a bit of drama in it.

I've got one eye on the Pavlik fight while i'm typing this, if Pavlik is going to be made mandatory challenger for Froch's WBC super middleweight crown, i really don't think Froch has anything to be worried about.  Good to see that going forward it appears that Froch will get some of the exposure he deserves on sky.

MR - just a quick retort to one of your last posts - i've never said that McCloskey is world class - as regards for you saying he is way off the mark compared to Khan i completely disagree.  Bookies clearly had him way off the mark with the way they priced up the bout.  But Dudey did himself no harm by his display and made Khan look the level that he truly operates at, people will say the gameplan of a late stoppage by McCloskey's camp was flawed in hindsight but like me they'll never know what would have happened if that ridiculous decision didn't take place.  If Dudey had obtained a late stoppage then everyone would have been lauding the game plan as genius.  <--- that's the last time i'm talking about the Dudey vs Khan fight on this board.   

As for where Dudey goes from here, i think on the basis of his fanbase he is a draw and will get fights, have heard a few names being floated about but still at an early stage from any definite fight being made.  What i would say is - that if he is to enhance his boxing pedigree as well as his profile, his next fight should be in the States.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."