Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

How did Ardboe/Moortown game go?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rocky Mc Guigan on May 01, 2011, 11:33:46 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2011, 11:49:14 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 23, 2011, 09:58:34 AM
It's almost a full week later and the events of last Saturday in Manchester are still not sinking in.

Want to clear up one misconception that some people seem to have - McCloskey was not stopped by Khan, he was stopped by a cut.  When it goes to the scorecards like that it's a technical decision not a technical knockout.

So when i said a couple of posts back that Khan would never stop McCloskey i think i was proved right.  Never at one stage did Khan have McCloskey in any difficulty, you might turn around and say "well, i can say vice versa" but McCloskey's gameplan was never going to see Khan in any bother, that early phase of the fight for him was just going to be finding your fight and tire Khan out who was always going to go for the early knockout.

The decision itself was an absolute joke, it's been talked about enough already, but what's the point in McCloskey employing cuts people if they are not even allowed to do their job ?

I was happy with the way the fight was going, in my eyes McCloskey was looking stronger as each round went on and i do believe he would have had his window of opportunity between rounds 10-12.  But i'll guess we'll never know.

Khan is a seriously over rated fighter, Bradley would wipe the floor with him and anyone that is talking about him moving up a division is deluded.  The top 6 or 7 guys in the welterweight division would handle Khan without much difficulty.

I've heard a couple of names about who McCloskey could potentially face next and feel that in terms of match making the Khan fight has done him no harm.  Promoters won't have failed to notice his fanbase.

Moving on ...  I see a date for Klitchsko vs Haye has been set, 2nd of July the same date Matthew Macklin was originally due to fight Felix Sturm for the WBA middleweight title.   Being realistic the Haye event would have completely overshadowed macklin's fight, same date, same country.  They had no choice but to move it to a week earlier of June the 25th.

Was chatting to Maclkin in manchester and was just asking him about the whole PPV scandal because it was his withdrawal from the undercard that really triggered the whole Khan and sky break up.   The way Macklin put it - it was a no brainer,  fight on the undercard for not great money or else fight for a world title and for considerably more money.  Khan's continuous short changing of people was always going to come back to bite him at some stage.

His break up with Sky is going to cost him bigstyle, one person that seems fit to reap the benefits of it though is Carl Froch,  funny the timing of his breakup with Mick Hennessy.  But in fairness if Froch isn't getting the exposure he deserves he had to make some sort of move, if he hooks up with the Hearns (which looks likely at this stage) then he should get his exposure.

So would Dudey change his style if he were to fight Khan again and maybe win a round, just in case he gets cut and they stop the fight?

I won't buy into your thinking Atticus, i seen nothing from Dudey in the first 6 rounds and while Khan wasn't much better he was clearly better in each round than him.

Khan will move up a weight and will avoid all the big hitters for sure, his biggest mistake was going professional in my opinion. London 2012 could have made him a bigger star.
Are you being serious when you say Khan's biggest  mistake was turning pro and not hanging around as an amateur for another 8 years-he's a millionaire and a world champion-he has topped  the bill in Vegas-plenty of big fights and yet more dollars out there

Turning pro too early in my opinion, he would be a millionaire anyway regardless but had he become an Olympic Champion (no guarantee) more exposure more money and guaranteed PPV every time. It would have improved his boxing ability also, that's were I'm justifying my post.

On the Dudey fight, it was harsh and no one bar the Khan stable are saying otherwise that it was a poor call by the referee.

Khan is overrated but still managed to out score Dudey, so where does that put Dudey? I think McCloskey will get a few title shots again and he came away as a creditable fighter, but if the posters on here keep knocking Khan and saying he is rubbish the Dudey must be way off the mark ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

slapbangwhallop

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 01, 2011, 02:47:16 AMDespite his illustrious surroundings and companions, i don't think Khan is much different from the lad that was troubled my Willie Limond and destroyed by Bredis prescott.  How he can be considered an elite fighter after fights against Paulie malignaggi and Maidana is beyone me ?

How can he move up a weight and avoid everyone ? Surely that wouldn't be comercially viable ? He couldn't have hung about for London 2012, his family saw the dollar signs from early doors.  Frank Warren molly coddled him as much as he could have and the moment when he was put on a "PPV" bill he was found out.

Slapbang - name me one PPV fight that Khan has been involved in that merits the title of a PPV fight ?  Please don't say Maidana .... he made Khan look good.

I am pretty much against ALL PPVs but I never said any of his PPVs were PPV worthy.

Can just simply cant agree that waiting until 2012 would have benefitted him. A. He would have had to wait 8 years to try and go one better than he did in Athens - massive risk - MASSIVE! B. Even if he did go one better there is likely to be other British boxing golds and some of that limelight will be taken away. C. He wont be amazing wonderkid that he was in Athens - that was a lot to do with the attention he got. D. His team had to strike whilst the iron was hot and they have made their fighter millions in a period where you would have prefered to see him living on Grants. E. He turned pro and won a world title before the 2012 game have even started.

I cant see any and I mean ANY benefit that you would have gotten by staying am. All I can see is big risks and wasted time, money and opportunities.

Blowitupref

Pacquiao v Mosley this weekend what are your views guys? should be a good fight & worth staying up for.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

paco

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 04, 2011, 02:48:25 PM
Pacquiao v Mosley this weekend what are your views guys? should be a good fight & worth staying up for.

I think I will, what channel?

Blowitupref

Quote from: paco on May 04, 2011, 02:52:18 PM

I think I will, what channel?

Sky Sports http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12947,00.html
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Iceman

Definitely worth watching. Mosley has lost some of his speed but little of his Power and he has the chance to rock the Pac Man. Can't see Shane winning but worth the watch - should be an epic display
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Claw

Looking forward to the fight. Anyone who usually watches the HBO 24/7 might be interested in a similar version this time around. It isn't done by HBO as HBO aren't showing the fight. If you search "Showtime Pacquiao v Mosley" you'll get it. I can't put the links up now because I'm in work but will do so later unless someone has done so in the mean time.

CiKe

reckon Pac-Man becomes first to stop him in pretty one sided fight unless Moslet pulls out something extraordinary

gallsman

At this stage Mosley is a shadow of what he was. A sure fire 1st ballot HOF entrant, but his time is long since up. Mayweather demolished him, Pacquiao will do something similar. In the Margarito fight you could see his shock at the ref not stopping it, I don't think Sugar's corner would let him take the kind of beating Margarito did.

Hound

Cork lad in tricolour shorts on International Prizefighter the heavyweights tonight!

maximus

What time will fight start?

Family guy

Hardly be any links to the fight??