Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overthebar!

God help them if Atticus starts swinging a few haymakers! seen him lay the smack down once or twice before. Wild Man!

Radda bout yeee

Anyone have a link to interviews after the fight missed them.

andoireabu

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on April 17, 2011, 10:57:38 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13107047.stm

Audio links to both about half way down the article.  Kahn is hard to listen to.  You always hear of bad losers but to me he is a bad winner and that can be worse.  Fair enough he didn't make the decision but if he is so sure of himself then a rematch would be of little bother to him.  Hope Bradley knocks the head of him and he fades away into the wilderness, cocky wee git.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: andoireabu on April 17, 2011, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on April 17, 2011, 10:57:38 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13107047.stm

Audio links to both about half way down the article.  Kahn is hard to listen to.  You always hear of bad losers but to me he is a bad winner and that can be worse.  Fair enough he didn't make the decision but if he is so sure of himself then a rematch would be of little bother to him.  Hope Bradley knocks the head of him and he fades away into the wilderness, cocky wee git.

hard to listen to surely! would love to see him fight a wrecking machine like mossely!!! get the wee british/pakistan head knocked off him!!!!

haranguerer

Quote from: CiKe on April 16, 2011, 11:19:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2011, 11:16:02 PM
All those flashy boxers say those things, don't fault him for that. he was made to look ordinary but still won the rounds handy, Thought Dudey could have landed more punches as he was dominating the ring and taking the fight to Khan.

Have been to many fights and this happens, less so in title fights to be fair but it did bleed quite heavy at the start, but wasn't that bad on reflection.

Done Dudey no harm and will open up more title fights for him, Inter continental maybe

I'd absolutely fault him for that, shows no class whatsoever. He believes his own hype. I may be wrong of course but he certainly aint Pac-Man mark 2.

Boxing is about marketing - theres no way khan wanted a rematch, so he had to (no doubt with schooling from his corner) head off media led appeals for one - if he'd hinted at even the possibility of one it would have been all over the papers, then it would have been harder for him to back out.

shezam

I feel good, thnx for asking everyone, feels tho iv not been in a fight I had tougher sparring, no disrespect to ... http://tmi.me/8Xvk8
12:24 AM Apr 17th via ÜberSocial

His team wanted a rematch lol . But I aint surprised mccloskey stayed quite, end of the day its him that was getting wacked in the ring
12:22 AM Apr 17th via ÜberSocial

Mccloskey was slower then I thought. But had good lateral movement but at times was all over the place. Mainly surviving in the fight.
12:21 AM Apr 17th via ÜberSocial

Won the fight by 6-0 went to score cards. Head clash, mccloskey was getting out boxed and another round would of got knockd out, he was hurt
12:20 AM Apr 17th via ÜberSocial

gallsman

Haye - Wladimir confirmed for July 2nd in Hamburg:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/13140466.stm

Anyone know if it's possible to get Box Office on UPC?

The Iceman

try and watch Ortiz v Berto if yous get the chance. A real war.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Atticus_Finch

It's almost a full week later and the events of last Saturday in Manchester are still not sinking in.

Want to clear up one misconception that some people seem to have - McCloskey was not stopped by Khan, he was stopped by a cut.  When it goes to the scorecards like that it's a technical decision not a technical knockout.

So when i said a couple of posts back that Khan would never stop McCloskey i think i was proved right.  Never at one stage did Khan have McCloskey in any difficulty, you might turn around and say "well, i can say vice versa" but McCloskey's gameplan was never going to see Khan in any bother, that early phase of the fight for him was just going to be finding your fight and tire Khan out who was always going to go for the early knockout.

The decision itself was an absolute joke, it's been talked about enough already, but what's the point in McCloskey employing cuts people if they are not even allowed to do their job ?

I was happy with the way the fight was going, in my eyes McCloskey was looking stronger as each round went on and i do believe he would have had his window of opportunity between rounds 10-12.  But i'll guess we'll never know.

Khan is a seriously over rated fighter, Bradley would wipe the floor with him and anyone that is talking about him moving up a division is deluded.  The top 6 or 7 guys in the welterweight division would handle Khan without much difficulty.

I've heard a couple of names about who McCloskey could potentially face next and feel that in terms of match making the Khan fight has done him no harm.  Promoters won't have failed to notice his fanbase.

Moving on ...  I see a date for Klitchsko vs Haye has been set, 2nd of July the same date Matthew Macklin was originally due to fight Felix Sturm for the WBA middleweight title.   Being realistic the Haye event would have completely overshadowed macklin's fight, same date, same country.  They had no choice but to move it to a week earlier of June the 25th.

Was chatting to Maclkin in manchester and was just asking him about the whole PPV scandal because it was his withdrawal from the undercard that really triggered the whole Khan and sky break up.   The way Macklin put it - it was a no brainer,  fight on the undercard for not great money or else fight for a world title and for considerably more money.  Khan's continuous short changing of people was always going to come back to bite him at some stage.

His break up with Sky is going to cost him bigstyle, one person that seems fit to reap the benefits of it though is Carl Froch,  funny the timing of his breakup with Mick Hennessy.  But in fairness if Froch isn't getting the exposure he deserves he had to make some sort of move, if he hooks up with the Hearns (which looks likely at this stage) then he should get his exposure.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

slapbangwhallop

I think I've found a home for myself on this board!  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 23, 2011, 09:58:34 AM
It's almost a full week later and the events of last Saturday in Manchester are still not sinking in.

Want to clear up one misconception that some people seem to have - McCloskey was not stopped by Khan, he was stopped by a cut.  When it goes to the scorecards like that it's a technical decision not a technical knockout.

So when i said a couple of posts back that Khan would never stop McCloskey i think i was proved right.  Never at one stage did Khan have McCloskey in any difficulty, you might turn around and say "well, i can say vice versa" but McCloskey's gameplan was never going to see Khan in any bother, that early phase of the fight for him was just going to be finding your fight and tire Khan out who was always going to go for the early knockout.

The decision itself was an absolute joke, it's been talked about enough already, but what's the point in McCloskey employing cuts people if they are not even allowed to do their job ?

I was happy with the way the fight was going, in my eyes McCloskey was looking stronger as each round went on and i do believe he would have had his window of opportunity between rounds 10-12.  But i'll guess we'll never know.

Khan is a seriously over rated fighter, Bradley would wipe the floor with him and anyone that is talking about him moving up a division is deluded.  The top 6 or 7 guys in the welterweight division would handle Khan without much difficulty.

I've heard a couple of names about who McCloskey could potentially face next and feel that in terms of match making the Khan fight has done him no harm.  Promoters won't have failed to notice his fanbase.

Moving on ...  I see a date for Klitchsko vs Haye has been set, 2nd of July the same date Matthew Macklin was originally due to fight Felix Sturm for the WBA middleweight title.   Being realistic the Haye event would have completely overshadowed macklin's fight, same date, same country.  They had no choice but to move it to a week earlier of June the 25th.

Was chatting to Maclkin in manchester and was just asking him about the whole PPV scandal because it was his withdrawal from the undercard that really triggered the whole Khan and sky break up.   The way Macklin put it - it was a no brainer,  fight on the undercard for not great money or else fight for a world title and for considerably more money.  Khan's continuous short changing of people was always going to come back to bite him at some stage.

His break up with Sky is going to cost him bigstyle, one person that seems fit to reap the benefits of it though is Carl Froch,  funny the timing of his breakup with Mick Hennessy.  But in fairness if Froch isn't getting the exposure he deserves he had to make some sort of move, if he hooks up with the Hearns (which looks likely at this stage) then he should get his exposure.

So would Dudey change his style if he were to fight Khan again and maybe win a round, just in case he gets cut and they stop the fight?

I won't buy into your thinking Atticus, i seen nothing from Dudey in the first 6 rounds and while Khan wasn't much better he was clearly better in each round than him.

Khan will move up a weight and will avoid all the big hitters for sure, his biggest mistake was going professional in my opinion. London 2012 could have made him a bigger star.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

slapbangwhallop

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2011, 11:49:14 PM
Khan will move up a weight and will avoid all the big hitters for sure, his biggest mistake was going professional in my opinion. London 2012 could have made him a bigger star.

No way. Athens was EIGHT years ago. I cant see that waiting 8 years in the hope of improving on a silver would have made any difference.

Look at all the PPV fights he has made in the mean time.

Atticus_Finch

So would Dudey change his style if he were to fight Khan again and maybe win a round, just in case he gets cut and they stop the fight?

I won't buy into your thinking Atticus, i seen nothing from Dudey in the first 6 rounds and while Khan wasn't much better he was clearly better in each round than him.

Sorry MR, haven't been on in a while.  You can't legislate for what happened in Manchester .... i.e. a ridiculous decision.

The bet of the week or "that week" from two prominent UK bookmakers was for Khan to stop Dudey in rounds 1-3.  In my opinion all Dudey had to do was not let Khan stop him to prove a lot of people wrong.  I made no secret of it ....i harboured hopes that Dudey would stop him in the later rounds.

I'll never really know what would have happened, but i'm certain of one thing, Khan was never going to stop him.  It is nothing but mere speculation but i think if the fight was allowed to go on (which it obviously should have been) that Dudey would have had his window of opportunity.  Khan, after the initial success of inflicting damage in the Maidana fight was troubled in the later rounds,  i think the same would have happened this time round.  Khan was throwing a ridiculous amount of punches to no avail, that has to take it's toll ?

Despite his illustrious surroundings and companions, i don't think Khan is much different from the lad that was troubled my Willie Limond and destroyed by Bredis prescott.  How he can be considered an elite fighter after fights against Paulie malignaggi and Maidana is beyone me ?

How can he move up a weight and avoid everyone ? Surely that wouldn't be comercially viable ? He couldn't have hung about for London 2012, his family saw the dollar signs from early doors.  Frank Warren molly coddled him as much as he could have and the moment when he was put on a "PPV" bill he was found out.

Slapbang - name me one PPV fight that Khan has been involved in that merits the title of a PPV fight ?  Please don't say Maidana .... he made Khan look good.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

CiKe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 01, 2011, 02:47:16 AM

Sorry MR, haven't been on in a while.  You can't legislate for what happened in Manchester .... i.e. a ridiculous decision.

The bet of the week or "that week" from two prominent UK bookmakers was for Khan to stop Dudey in rounds 1-3.  In my opinion all Dudey had to do was not let Khan stop him to prove a lot of people wrong.  I made no secret of it ....i harboured hopes that Dudey would stop him in the later rounds.

I'll never really know what would have happened, but i'm certain of one thing, Khan was never going to stop him.  It is nothing but mere speculation but i think if the fight was allowed to go on (which it obviously should have been) that Dudey would have had his window of opportunity.  Khan, after the initial success of inflicting damage in the Maidana fight was troubled in the later rounds,  i think the same would have happened this time round.  Khan was throwing a ridiculous amount of punches to no avail, that has to take it's toll ?

Despite his illustrious surroundings and companions, i don't think Khan is much different from the lad that was troubled my Willie Limond and destroyed by Bredis prescott.  How he can be considered an elite fighter after fights against Paulie malignaggi and Maidana is beyone me ?

How can he move up a weight and avoid everyone ? Surely that wouldn't be comercially viable ? He couldn't have hung about for London 2012, his family saw the dollar signs from early doors.  Frank Warren molly coddled him as much as he could have and the moment when he was put on a "PPV" bill he was found out.

Slapbang - name me one PPV fight that Khan has been involved in that merits the title of a PPV fight ?  Please don't say Maidana .... he made Khan look good.

Atticus I agree with you on some points:

i) beating Maidana / Malignaggi should in no way make Khan an "elite" fighter particularly as he was widely expected to totally outbox Maidana if he did not get tagged, something he singularly failed to do.
ii) there is no way the fight should have been stopped, i think everyone agrees on that
iii) Maidana / Khan should not have been PPV. In retrospect it was well worth it though, with the fight making Khan a lot more marketable.

However where the fight went from when it was stopped I'm not sure. Khan did wobble him briefly (in the 5th i think) and no guarantees he would not have done so again. There is no question Dudey lost each round, not because Khan was good but because he himself didn't do anything. I think their game plan was crazy - they could not rely on KO'ing Khan which is effectively what they did by handing him the first six rounds on a plate. To win a world title you have to take it from the champion - there was no way he was going to get a decision if it was close, so their game-plan in my mind was flawed from the outset. They backed themselves into a corner, and while you can't legislate for crappy decisions, these things do happen.

I'm not sure where McCloskey goes from here. Awkward as hell there aren't too many top fighters will fancy having him drag their reputation down in a no win fight. Junior Witter was ringside, maybe they get it on, would be good name to have on his record.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Are you being serious when you say Khan's biggest  mistake was turning pro and not hanging around as an amateur for another 8 years-he's a millionaire and a world champion-he has topped  the bill in Vegas-plenty of big fights and yet more dollars out there