Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Having watched Khan's last fight, I have to say I was impressed, he has been said to have a glass chin but he took some serious shots and was under severe pressure at times and managed to come through. I know McCloskey is a good fighter but I dont think he will be able to live with Khan's hand speed or his punching power (Believe me I dont take any pleasure in saying it) Khan is not the cocky wee git that fought after his Olmpic triumph in england against poor opposition. He is now a hardened physically tough good fighter and I unfortunately think he will be too many for McCloskey on this occasion.

But heres hoping McCloskey can get one on him early and see what he is really made of.

Yeah its a one of payment lads

whiskeysteve

Quote from: J OGorman on April 14, 2011, 11:50:15 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 14, 2011, 11:14:58 AM
Im just interested to know guys,

why do people think that McCloskey can win this fight?

Dudey will floor Khan @ some stage in the fight. He's hard to hit, fast and strong and possesses a fierce uppercut . Khan will not have fought anyone like Dudey. The media hype Khan to buck, but he's been pummeled before, was very very lucky in his last fight against a fighter who isn't as strong or fast as McCloskey. Rode his luck again against a blind Barrera (a fight which should have been stopped and Barrera given another lash) and hasn't fought anyone of real note since. Don't get wrong, Khan is a quare fighter, fast, strong and in some condition. Will be a nervy old watch

Whats your thinking?

woh there, easy now  ;D

McCloskey has a real shot against Khan, don't get me wrong. But I think thats more so because of his skills and style, not his strength. He does not have have Maidanas power, Maidana is a brute. Unskilled and slow at the elite level but easily has heavier hands than McCloskey. Khan will not hit mccloskey as easy as he scored against Maidana though.

Khan is in great physical shape below the chin also.

Know a few folks getting a bit carried away with McCloskeys chances the closer it gets to fight time, they maintain its from the head and not the heart but I don't think so. (Yes atticus, I am lookin at you, aul hand  ;D) People talk about Khan being overhyped (i agree) but its easy to lose a bit of perspective, McCloskey is still an underdog and I just hope there isn't huge disappointment this weekend
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Hilltresk

I just hope no1 gets hurt.

nrico2006

Another factor is Khan getting rid of the conditioning coach that many claim is responsible for his physical transformation and recent good condition, another factor that could come into the equation.  I think alot of people think Khan has proved he hasn't got a glass jaw after the Maidana fight.  Of course the lad is not going to go down  every time he is hit but there is definitely a weakness there that hopefully McCloskey will exploit.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CiKe

the thing about the Maidana fight is that people were predicting Khan to almost not lose a round or else get KO'd. In the end was neither showed good chin but terrible easy to hit. Whether he wanted to be in a war for his ego or not I don't know, but he sure as sh*t didn't look like a future P4P fighter that some of the hype would have you believe.

With regards the press there probably are a few fighters out there with a better record than McCloskey, or if not that, then at least more of a "name" to bring to the table but there can't be too many are as awkward as him. Think Atticus is getting a bit carried away but i can def see Dudey making life very difficult for him and maybe outhustling him. Not sure that he is truly elite level as seems to have stagnated a bit and in some fights seems to switch off for periods but Khan will have to be close to his best if he isn't to walk out without his belt.

Atticus_Finch

Can anyone remind what i said that was so ridiculous  ?

i said i firmly believe Khan won't stop McCloskey ... is that that outlandish ?

As regards McCloskey winning i think he'll never have a better chance for the reasons i've mentioned before:

"Throw into the mix 1. his split with Alex Ariza and the amount of problems that has caused, particularly with Ariza still working with Pacquiao, 2. the way he is overlooking his next fight and already talking about Timothy Bradley 3. The way he seems so concerned whether or not a tr**p like Jordan will be ringside at his next fight and finally and definitely most damaging for him 4. The removal of the fight from PPV and now from Sky altogether (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6864054,00.html) , costing him well over a million along with the associated costs of having less exposure"

As i've said before i don't buy into all this chat that Khan is an elite level fighter just because he's part of Fredidie Roach's stable.

Here's Khan's record - http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=314558&cat=boxer - someone please remind me why he's considered an elite level fighter.

I'm under no illusions Dudey is a massive underdog, this will be a step up no doubt - but he hasn't been an underdog since he fought Colin Lynes for the British title back in 2008 - he took that fight at two weeks notice and after a brief bit of trouble early on he was very impressive after that.

This will be a step up but the underdog status will bring out the best in him and he will have no fear.  He is in the condition of his life and is finally getting his shot, he's earned that shot.

Khan thinking he is bigger than sky is going to cost him big time, this is supposedly going to be his last fight in England for the forseeable, he can kiss his dreams of building up a support like Hatton enjoyed during his big bouts.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/amir-khan/8452387/Amir-Khan-to-quit-Britain-for-United-States-after-boxers-management-team-fall-out-with-Sky-Sports.html

A lot of stuff must be going through Khan's head right now, e.g. where is he going to go if he loses .....

This is my last post before the fight - away to Manchester tomorrow, hopefully see some of you there.

Good Luck and God Bless
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Atticus_Finch

Last post, i'm off now.

I just want to say, brilliant work Eddie Hearn .... you lads will figure the rest out, see ya in Manchester:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1376951/Amir-Khan-fight-pay-TV-shambles.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXpUdBlRZe8

Keep er lit

Good Luck and God Bless

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

haranguerer

Will many pubs in Belfast have this? Does anyone know some that do for sure?

nrico2006

I am going to try and see what quality the streams are for it tomorrow night but I will have Primetimes phone number beside me ready to rock if it is jittery.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Radda bout yeee

Will it go 12 rounds or last into the later rounds? 6/5 for 9.5 rounds is tempting me!

If i do lose I hope its because McCloskey sparks him clane out!!!

J OGorman

any links about for the weigh-in?

The Worker

Anyone know what time the fight is due to start at?

J OGorman

Quote from: The Worker on April 15, 2011, 12:45:44 PM

Ive heard 10:30 Worker

The Worker

Quote from: J OGorman on April 15, 2011, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: The Worker on April 15, 2011, 12:45:44 PM

Ive heard 10:30 Worker

good stuff. hoping it lasts the distance!

CiKe

bugger have used primetime for froch abraham before but had hoped to get the Madrid Barca game in first. Ah well, come on McCloskey!