Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

Got a text a this morning saying that fight is definitely going ahead and that primetime deal is done and dusted.  There's confirmation below:

http://insidefights.com/2011/04/11/amir-khan-vs-paul-mccloskey-to-be-show-on-primetime-tv/

As for doubts about the fight going ahead, while i doubted it for a while because i don't see what's in it for Khan - ultimately i dont think they would have negotiated fees etc with primetime at this late stage if they are intent on pulling out.

Nrico - Still not sure on the price for it from what i can remember about Froch's last couple of fights it was in around the £13-15 mark.  But i watched it online as quality was decent enough.

Folks i'm first one to admit i'm biased on this but I really can't see McCloskey losing.  Bookies have definitely priced this up wrongly.

I can guarantee you one thing now - Khan WILL NOT stop McCloskey which bookies have him odds on to do.  If (I emphasise IF) he wins it'll be through his greater handspeed and he'll win on points.

If you back McCloskey to win (13/2) and also Khan to win on points (10/3)  - it's a no lose bet in my opinion.

I'll take all the flak of the day if i'm proven wrong ....
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

randomtask

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 11, 2011, 10:47:24 AM
Got a text a this morning saying that fight is definitely going ahead and that primetime deal is done and dusted.  There's confirmation below:

http://insidefights.com/2011/04/11/amir-khan-vs-paul-mccloskey-to-be-show-on-primetime-tv/

As for doubts about the fight going ahead, while i doubted it for a while because i don't see what's in it for Khan - ultimately i dont think they would have negotiated fees etc with primetime at this late stage if they are intent on pulling out.

Nrico - Still not sure on the price for it from what i can remember about Froch's last couple of fights it was in around the £13-15 mark.  But i watched it online as quality was decent enough.

Folks i'm first one to admit i'm biased on this but I really can't see McCloskey losing.  Bookies have definitely priced this up wrongly.

I can guarantee you one thing now - Khan WILL NOT stop McCloskey which bookies have him odds on to do.  If (I emphasise IF) he wins it'll be through his greater handspeed and he'll win on points.

If you back McCloskey to win (13/2) and also Khan to win on points (10/3)  - it's a no lose bet in my opinion.

I'll take all the flak of the day if i'm proven wrong ....

Thats a big statement to make, based on your over confidence il take a wee punt on those bets. I hope your as knowledgeable and have the level of wisdom atticus had himself ;)

NAG1

Cant see McCloskey living with Khan to be honest. Khan has truly gone to the next level under Freddie Roach, only have to watch his last fight to see how much he has progressed.

Dont get me wrong would love McCloskey to knock ten bells out of him just dont thinkk he is in the same league

J OGorman

Quote from: NAG1 on April 11, 2011, 12:25:29 PM
Cant see McCloskey living with Khan to be honest. Khan has truly gone to the next level under Freddie Roach, only have to watch his last fight to see how much he has progressed.

Dont get me wrong would love McCloskey to knock ten bells out of him just dont thinkk he is in the same league

Khan would have been beatin' again in his last fight only for the ref to save him on a couple of occasions

gallsman

Quote from: NAG1 on April 11, 2011, 12:25:29 PM

Define the next level. He's better than when he fought Prescott but would/will get battered by Bradley.

As mentioned earlier, McCloskey is a lose-lose fight for Khan. If he wins, feck all money (relatively) and he'll have beaten a nobody. If he loses...

Hound

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 11, 2011, 09:06:42 AM
As for that Sky channel 480, how much does it cost?  Can you pay to watch the fight only?
Price confirmed as £14.95

unitedireland

will Freddie Roach be in Khan's corner? Mc Closkley has got alot of bad press in the american media and message boards saying khans taking a soft touch i hope he proves them wrong.

The Iceman

Nice of HBO to take the time and spell Paul's name right........
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: unitedireland on April 13, 2011, 09:11:40 AM
will Freddie Roach be in Khan's corner? Mc Closkley has got alot of bad press in the american media and message boards saying khans taking a soft touch i hope he proves them wrong.

What sort of bad press?

unitedireland

Generally saying he hasnt fought anyone of note. He's a nobody and not worth the fight.

Norf Tyrone

To watch the fight do you just phone up and make a one off payment?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

NAG1

Im just interested to know guys,

why do people think that McCloskey can win this fight?

Bingo

Quote from: NAG1 on April 14, 2011, 11:14:58 AM

Because he is using the old "horseshoe in the glove" trick but don't tell anyone.

J OGorman

Dudey will floor Khan @ some stage in the fight. He's hard to hit, fast and strong and possesses a fierce uppercut . Khan will not have fought anyone like Dudey. The media hype Khan to buck, but he's been pummeled before, was very very lucky in his last fight against a fighter who isn't as strong or fast as McCloskey. Rode his luck again against a blind Barrera (a fight which should have been stopped and Barrera given another lash) and hasn't fought anyone of real note since. Don't get wrong, Khan is a quare fighter, fast, strong and in some condition. Will be a nervy old watch

Whats your thinking?

nrico2006

Quote from: J OGorman on April 14, 2011, 11:50:15 AM

Dudey will floor Khan @ some stage in the fight. He's hard to hit, fast and strong and possesses a fierce uppercut . Khan will not have fought anyone like Dudey. The media hype Khan to buck, but he's been pummeled before, was very very lucky in his last fight against a fighter who isn't as strong or fast as McCloskey. Rode his luck again against a blind Barrera (a fight which should have been stopped and Barrera given another lash) and hasn't fought anyone of real note since. Don't get wrong, Khan is a quare fighter, fast, strong and in some condition. Will be a nervy old watch

Whats your thinking?

McCloskeys style is unique and one that Khan will not have had much experience with in the past, the man is like a ghost with his reflexes.  Khan is quick but he still has that glass jaw.  When you look at Khans record why would the UK press suddenly have him elevated to the best in the world level?  As I mentioned before he was fighting the like of Michael Gomez and Oisin Fagan not too long ago, and the Barrera fight should have been a no-contest and a rematch should have been set-up but he ran away as soon as he got the decision.  He also has avoided a rematch with Prescott, and he has a million excuses as to why.  Any fighter worth his salt would want to avenge any losses on their record, Khan is being guided away from that situation.  Maidana was known as a hard hitter yet not a great boxer technically, yet Khan slugs it out with him and is suddenly up there with Pacquaio and Mayweather?  Maidana thought a former great at the weekend in Erik Morales, a man who at his best was a joy to watch.  But you will never see a  greater example of a boxer who has succumbed to time than Morales, the reflexes and speed are no longer there and since he has come back from retirement and went to light welterweight he no longer has the power that he had at the lower weights and onn top of that he has suffered a series of losses to unheralded fighters.  Yet in most peoples eyes he beat Maidana, and this puts in perspective how good Khan is as the only reason Khan is being talked up of late is because he beat the Argentine.

Re NT's comment, can you just pay for this fight on a one-off basis?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'