Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Good stuff, it should never have been a PPV fight anyway.

Atticus_Finch

When ya consider that Khan vs Prescott and haye vs Fraudley were PPV fights then I wasn't all that surprised to hear this was originally going to be PPV.

Macklin pulling out of the undercard was a huge blow for the promoters.

Looking forward to seeing Jamie Kavanagh though, irish lad that trains under Freddie Roach.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Iceman

Kavanaugh is a decent prospect with some real nice footwork and ring awareness. He leaves himself open now and again but in general has good head movement.
Has a wee bit of dirt in him but maybe thats just inexperience and Roach should sort that out.
He can only get better surrounded by great people so definitely one to keep an eye on!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JimStynes

I didn't see it but apparently Eric Morales rolled back the years last night. He lost the fight but was robbed by all accounts. Any links anywhere for this fight?

Atticus_Finch

Morales was very impressive Jim, his right eye was closed over from half way through the 1st round, to fight nearly a full fight with one eye in the manner that he did was very impressive.  He might not have the speed and reflexes that he once possessed but he's still got the heart of a lion. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was robbed, he lost the last two rounds and i felt that was crucial. One judge scored it a draw which you really couldn't have strongly argued with and another two scored it in favour of Maidana, both giving him a margin of four rounds.  There was no way maidana's victory was that convincing - i would have scored it in favour of Maidana, giving him a margin of one, maybe two rounds.

I really think the fight casts a doubt over how good Khan's victory actually was.  Maidana, for me, is a one dimensional fighter and never has a plan b.  He didn't cause Morales any major problems, never looked like stopping him.

Khan was elevated in the eyes of many to the level of an elite boxer after two victories which i don't think will stand the test of time - Paulie Malignaggi and Maidana.

Throw into the mix 1. his split with Alex Ariza and the amount of problems that has caused, particularly with Ariza still working with Pacquiao, 2. the way he is overlooking his next fight and already talking about Timothy Bradley 3. The way he seems so concerned whether or not a tr**p like Jordan will be ringside at his next fight and finally and definitely most damaging for him 4. The removal of the fight from PPV and now from Sky altogether (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6864054,00.html) , costing him well over a million along with the associated costs of having less exposure.  A deal is expected to be announced with Primetime (a pay per view subscription channel, that has shown a lot of Froch's recent fights) but overall that is bad news for Khan,  whether he likes it or not Khan needs Sky.  Look at Carl Froch, he's not a household name despite his recent impressive performances and that's due to not having Sky in his corner.

Add all the above points up and there is no doubt in my mind that Khan's head is bound to be well and truly scrambled. This fight is LOSE-LOSE for Khan, he's risking a lot for little reward.

I am therefore quitely confident that this time next week, there will be a new world champion from a little place called Dungiven.

The best thing Khan can do next Sunday morning is fire his team, I know most of them are his family but they've got him into this mess.  His team in conjunction with the promoters should have bent over backwards to keep Matthew Macklin as part of the undercard. The way his team have acted in the run up to the fight, shortchanging numerous people was always going to comeback and bite him.

Jim - I scoured the internet to try and get you highlights but unfortunately the copyright police have already come and gone. if i do find anything i'll post it up.

Tommo2

Where will we be able to watch the mccloskey fight on Saturday nite?

Atticus_Finch

Nothing confirmed Tommo but looks like these guys (http://www.primetimelive.co.uk/) will end up with the rights. Think it's channel 480 on Sky so not all that much different than if the fight had been on Sky box office. I've heard rumours that RTE are making an attempt to show it but i think you can safely say that these are nothing more than rumours.

If you're not going to a bar to watch it (i'm assuming primetime do get the rights here) then i would suggest looking for a website that will be streaming it,  i've watched the last few Froch fights on internet and they've always been good quality.  As primetime arn't that big an outfit they don't have the resources to close down streams like Sky box office can.

Check this thread on the night of the fight and I say someone will post a link where you can watch the fight.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 10, 2011, 09:25:49 PM
Nothing confirmed Tommo but looks like these guys (http://www.primetimelive.co.uk/) will end up with the rights. Think it's channel 480 on Sky so not all that much different than if the fight had been on Sky box office. I've heard rumours that RTE are making an attempt to show it but i think you can safely say that these are nothing more than rumours.

If you're not going to a bar to watch it (i'm assuming primetime do get the rights here) then i would suggest looking for a website that will be streaming it,  i've watched the last few Froch fights on internet and they've always been good quality.  As primetime arn't that big an outfit they don't have the resources to close down streams like Sky box office can.

Check this thread on the night of the fight and I say someone will post a link where you can watch the fight.

I thought it was going to be on Sky Sports 3?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Atticus_Finch

Check the link that I sent two posts ago. Sky having nothing to do with the fight. Source: sky.

Atticus_Finch

Where your post go Rocky ?

Rocky Mc Guigan

Disappeared like the bucks for this fight-wonder what odds the whole thing being pulled?

Atticus_Finch

I wouldn't be surprised if Khan sustains a mystery injury in the next two to three days ! But think he's past the point of no return and will just have to get on with it.

nrico2006

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on April 10, 2011, 08:46:43 PM
Morales was very impressive Jim, his right eye was closed over from half way through the 1st round, to fight nearly a full fight with one eye in the manner that he did was very impressive.  He might not have the speed and reflexes that he once possessed but he's still got the heart of a lion. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was robbed, he lost the last two rounds and i felt that was crucial. One judge scored it a draw which you really couldn't have strongly argued with and another two scored it in favour of Maidana, both giving him a margin of four rounds.  There was no way maidana's victory was that convincing - i would have scored it in favour of Maidana, giving him a margin of one, maybe two rounds.

I really think the fight casts a doubt over how good Khan's victory actually was.  Maidana, for me, is a one dimensional fighter and never has a plan b.  He didn't cause Morales any major problems, never looked like stopping him.

Khan was elevated in the eyes of many to the level of an elite boxer after two victories which i don't think will stand the test of time - Paulie Malignaggi and Maidana.

Throw into the mix 1. his split with Alex Ariza and the amount of problems that has caused, particularly with Ariza still working with Pacquiao, 2. the way he is overlooking his next fight and already talking about Timothy Bradley 3. The way he seems so concerned whether or not a tr**p like Jordan will be ringside at his next fight and finally and definitely most damaging for him 4. The removal of the fight from PPV and now from Sky altogether (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6864054,00.html) , costing him well over a million along with the associated costs of having less exposure.  A deal is expected to be announced with Primetime (a pay per view subscription channel, that has shown a lot of Froch's recent fights) but overall that is bad news for Khan,  whether he likes it or not Khan needs Sky.  Look at Carl Froch, he's not a household name despite his recent impressive performances and that's due to not having Sky in his corner.

Add all the above points up and there is no doubt in my mind that Khan's head is bound to be well and truly scrambled. This fight is LOSE-LOSE for Khan, he's risking a lot for little reward.

I am therefore quitely confident that this time next week, there will be a new world champion from a little place called Dungiven.

The best thing Khan can do next Sunday morning is fire his team, I know most of them are his family but they've got him into this mess.  His team in conjunction with the promoters should have bent over backwards to keep Matthew Macklin as part of the undercard. The way his team have acted in the run up to the fight, shortchanging numerous people was always going to comeback and bite him.

Jim - I scoured the internet to try and get you highlights but unfortunately the copyright police have already come and gone. if i do find anything i'll post it up.

Spot on about Maidana and Malignaggi.  Khan has been spouting that McCloskey isn't ready to make the step up etc, but what step up has Khan really made? Since he lost to Prescott he fought the mighty Oisin Fagan, and then an old MAB who he actually didn't beat.  Then he fought Dmitriy Salita, Maidana and Malignaggi.  He won the title of one of the poorest champions in any division yet he thinks he is the real deal?  I think alot of the hype around Khan is coming from the fact that he is being trained by Roach, I wonder what he makes of Khan firing his conditioning coach.  Its not that long ago that Khan was knocked out in the first round and being decked by the like of a well past it Michael Gomez, powder puncher Willie Limond and Rachid Drilzane.  Why has he never sought to avenge his only loss?  The public in the UK are getting fooled by the same bandwagon that they were fooled by after his Olympic success.  I hope McCloskey wins at the weekend, I really do.

As for that Sky channel 480, how much does it cost?  Can you pay to watch the fight only?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doogie Browser

I have my doubts about Khan & McCloskey going ahead now at all, the purse has to be significantly reduced and Khan will not want to risk it for a much smaller cut.

tommysmith

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 11, 2011, 10:01:52 AM
I have my doubts about Khan & McCloskey going ahead now at all, the purse has to be significantly reduced and Khan will not want to risk it for a much smaller cut.

I hope  not i have been looking forward to this since it was announced.