Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: CiKe on January 14, 2011, 06:47:47 PM
Bit like Milltown Row, I've not been overly impressed though heard very good things. He is an awkward bugger though so could make things interesting. After seeing some of the shots Khan took against Maidana, I'm not so sure Dudey can really really hurt him, but I do think his stamina is maybe questionable.

Someone mentioned Peterson. Lamont or am I missing something? Big one for Khan is winner of Bradley v Alexander. Certainly against Alexander Khan would fancy his chances given respective fights against Kotelnik.

McCloskey is a tough, awkward bugger who would probably survive against Khan but probably wouldn't have the offense to put him in too much trouble. If Khan boxed clever and aim to win on points he should win it.

Has to be unification against Bradley/Alexander winner. Would heavily fancy Bradley against Khan and would prob give Alexander the nudge as well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on January 14, 2011, 09:06:37 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on January 14, 2011, 04:22:53 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
Its McCloskey!!! Dudey is different weight class.

McCloskey would be smart to take the fight as it would be a big pay day but Khan will beat him easily.

:D  :D You've shown yourself to be a clown by the first line of your post.  You clearly know nada ...  I'm annoyed i'm even responding to you. If it happens, and i'm not convinced it will, Khan will be tested and will have it far from easy.

I'm a clown for not knowing McCloskey's nick name was Dudey? Fair enough. Can't imagine how anyone would make the mistake of mixing up John Duddey with Dudey but whatever.....

I still think Khan is too much for him. Would be the Prince and the Pocket Rocket all over again (seeing as we're talking in nick names here).
I certainly don't think Khan is a world beater, I think he believes his own hype and is too confident. He is a decent fighter, and will be exposed sooner rather than later by world class opposition, not McCloskey.

There was the mention of fighting Colin Lynes for a British title in my post as well ... Considering John Duddy has been based in New York his whole professional career, i thought it was clear i wasn't chatting about him.  I just felt that as it appeared you didn't know McCloskey or his career that well, i didn't think you should be making the judgement that Khan would beat him "easily"  but that's just my opinion ...

MR - Dudey would say himself that he wasn't at his best the last few fights. He's going to be a massive underdog for this fight, if it happens, but i think that'll bring out the best in him.

Would agree with Cike, he'll make it awkward for him and that'll be the key to challenging him.  While he's won the last number of fights by knockout, no one is going to argue that McCloskey has explosive power, but at the same time he's no pillow puncher and given the opportunity i think he could sting Khan on a couple of occasions.

Ideally I would have liked to see him get one more fight before he fought any of the elite of the division.  Would have loved to see McCloskey fight Paul Mallignagi in NY. i think not only would Dudey beat Mallignagi but the fight would be a big draw and have raised McCloskey's profile no end. I think Mallignagi has now stepped up to welter so don't know if that would even be a possibility anymore.

Ultimately, I would love to see Dudey get this fight with Khan because i'm starting to worry if he will not get a shot.  People don't expect him to win, i think given the opportunity he will put up a great fight.  I just hope Khan isn't using McCloskey as bait to help him make his first choice fight (Lamont Peterson), i listened to the radio interview last night and that's how it came across at times in the interview.  Fingers crossed it happens, go on Dudey lad.

Can only judge him on his last two fights, if he wasn't fighting well then i hope he has something better when meeting Khan. watched him on the news there, he sounded confident that it will go ahead and he believes that he is the right man to fight him at this point.

McCloskey doesn't do the fighting talk, keeps that stuff for the fight.Would be some craic if they got it for the Kings Hall but looking more like Manchester Arena.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CiKe

Secondsout mentions March 16th. Surely they mean the 19th which is the Saturday? I guess Manchester makes sense given Kahn is only up the road.

Could be a good weekend Ireland England in the Six Nations and then Dudey to become World Champion! If it's an omen then on the same weekend two years ago Dunne beat Coroba after Ireland won the Grand Slam

J OGorman

Love going to watch Dudey fight and will bust my hole to get across to the Khan fight if it happens. This is the fight we all want to see.But timing is everything in boxing and Id prefer to see Dudey have a couple more fights forenenst hardy fighters before the Khan encounter. But as somebody already mentioned, this might be his big chance, so ye could never turn it down.

The camp will have his defence tightened for the fight. The man is some talent and packs some punch . One lunging hook or uppercut lands on Khan and its goodnight.

CiKe

Quote from: J OGorman on January 14, 2011, 09:38:09 PM
Love going to watch Dudey fight and will bust my hole to get across to the Khan fight if it happens. This is the fight we all want to see.But timing is everything in boxing and Id prefer to see Dudey have a couple more fights forenenst hardy fighters before the Khan encounter. But as somebody already mentioned, this might be his big chance, so ye could never turn it down.

The camp will have his defence tightened for the fight. The man is some talent and packs some punch . One lunging hook or uppercut lands on Khan and its goodnight.

I disagree, Maidana hits harder than Dudey. Certainly he can hurt him and probably wobble him, but before his last fight I wasn't sure Khan had a) the heart, b) the chin and c) the stamina. For me doubts remain over c), but I'd be loathe to say he had a glass chin given some of the shots he took.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: CiKe on January 14, 2011, 09:26:19 PM
Secondsout mentions March 16th. Surely they mean the 19th which is the Saturday? I guess Manchester makes sense given Kahn is only up the road.

Could be a good weekend Ireland England in the Six Nations and then Dudey to become World Champion! If it's an omen then on the same weekend two years ago Dunne beat Coroba after Ireland won the Grand Slam

If fight is made it'll be April 16th in the manchester MEN.  But speaking of that march 19th date, i think Willie Casey is fighting Rigondeux that night.  Lets hope it is indeed an omen. Would be some atmosphere at that bout if Ireland beat England earlier that evening.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

CiKe

I've not see Casey but Rigondeaux is some operator. On that basis alone, unless Casey is exceptional which from reports does not seem to be the case, then he is in for a very tough night.

CiKe

I'll not be able to cheer for Casey as watching Rigondeaux was like poetry in motion. I'll not cheer against him, but Rigondeaux can be something very special.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 14, 2011, 10:17:52 PM
Casey is probably not an exceptional 'boxer' but by Jaysus the wee lad will fight to the death.

Casey will certainly fight to the death, its in his DNA!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Iceman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on January 14, 2011, 09:06:37 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on January 14, 2011, 04:22:53 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 03:54:07 PM
Its McCloskey!!! Dudey is different weight class.

McCloskey would be smart to take the fight as it would be a big pay day but Khan will beat him easily.

:D  :D You've shown yourself to be a clown by the first line of your post.  You clearly know nada ...  I'm annoyed i'm even responding to you. If it happens, and i'm not convinced it will, Khan will be tested and will have it far from easy.

I'm a clown for not knowing McCloskey's nick name was Dudey? Fair enough. Can't imagine how anyone would make the mistake of mixing up John Duddey with Dudey but whatever.....

I still think Khan is too much for him. Would be the Prince and the Pocket Rocket all over again (seeing as we're talking in nick names here).
I certainly don't think Khan is a world beater, I think he believes his own hype and is too confident. He is a decent fighter, and will be exposed sooner rather than later by world class opposition, not McCloskey.

There was the mention of fighting Colin Lynes for a British title in my post as well ... Considering John Duddy has been based in New York his whole professional career, i thought it was clear i wasn't chatting about him.  I just felt that as it appeared you didn't know McCloskey or his career that well, i didn't think you should be making the judgement that Khan would beat him "easily"  but that's just my opinion ...

The second line of my reply would indicate that I knew who McCloskey was I just didn't remember his "Dudey" alias. Either way it didn't merit your handbags.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Denn Forever

On More4 tonight.  Might have a look.

22:00 Thriller in Manila (R) (T) In 1975, in the heat of Manila, Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought their third and final contest. Although they were previously friends, Ali's continuing involvement in the Nation of Islam and portrayal of his opponent as a traitor to the black community caused a rift between the two boxers, making their last duel as much of a battle of ideologies as a clash between sportsmen. This documentary tells the story of their final bout, considered by some the greatest fight in boxing history
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 15, 2011, 06:08:59 PM
On More4 tonight.  Might have a look.

22:00 Thriller in Manila (R) (T) In 1975, in the heat of Manila, Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought their third and final contest. Although they were previously friends, Ali's continuing involvement in the Nation of Islam and portrayal of his opponent as a traitor to the black community caused a rift between the two boxers, making their last duel as much of a battle of ideologies as a clash between sportsmen. This documentary tells the story of their final bout, considered by some the greatest fight in boxing history

This is excellent - well worth watching.

Atticus_Finch

Folks, the latest i'm hearing in relation to the proposed Khan vs McCloskey fight is that  Sky have concerns that Mc Closkey might not be a big enough draw.  I've a wee favour to ask, please spare a minute of your time and contact sky  http://www.skysports.com/contactus/  .  Select Sky Box Office for the subject area from the drop down menu and type a brief message to let them know that if Khan vs McCloskey was a pay per view event that you would get it out.

It will take a minute of your time.  I wrote them an essay saying there hasn't been a classic English vs Irish bout since Steve Collins vs Nigel Benn and that it would capture the publics imaginiation. But a brief one liner will suffice.

Thanks folks
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Hound

Quote from: cornerback on January 19, 2011, 09:11:54 AM
John Duddy retires:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/9366267.stm
Two more months of work would have earned him $100k.

I wonder is it really that he's just sick of it or is there more...