Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Former british boxing heavyweight Gary Mason died today in a motorbike accident.

R.I.P.

gallsman

Vitali to fight Odlanier Solis. Quality, quality amateur who topped the great Felix Savón to the extent that he had to be asked to step aside in 2000 to let Savón go for his third gold. Unbeaten in 17 as a pro although admittedly not up against much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/9357810.stm

CiKe

Duddy vs Lee supposedly set for Mar 12th in Connecticut

Declan

QuoteDuddy vs Lee supposedly set for Mar 12th in Connecticut

Lookiing forward to that one if true

Club Rossa

Would be an even enough matchup between the two of them.Both of them in my opinion are short of world title standard but i reckon it would be a good scrap all the same.

nrico2006

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 13, 2011, 08:49:08 AM
Would be an even enough matchup between the two of them.Both of them in my opinion are short of world title standard but i reckon it would be a good scrap all the same.

I think Lee has the potential its just that he needs to start facing a higher standard of opponent.  Been looking forward to a Duddy/Lee fight for years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

Dudey against Khan ?

The thought of it makes my mouth water.  This really would be some event.

I don't want to talk about it too much in the event that it doesn't happen.  But I can just imagine the Irish taking over Manchester on the weekend of the 16th of April.

It's been a while since Dudey has been the underdog in a fight , last time i can think of was when he fought Colin Lynes for the British title.  He took that fight at two weeks notice.  But i have no doubt that it would bring out the best in him.

Id always thought Khan would avoid Dudey as in my eyes too much risk for him and not much reward and i just hope he's not talking this fight up in a bid to put pressure on Peterson make a deal.

Dudey would give him one hell of a fight ! 
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

The Iceman

Its McCloskey!!! Dudey is different weight class.

McCloskey would be smart to take the fight as it would be a big pay day but Khan will beat him easily.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

isourboydownyet

Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 03:54:07 PM

McCloskey would be smart to take the fight as it would be a big pay day but Khan will beat him easily.

dudey is his nic name,your thinking of duddy!

DirtyDozen12

Im not so sure Iceman, I watched all the Khan fight against Maidana and he did fight very well in parts but i thought he was running for around the last 4 rounds.  He was very lucky wasnt knocked out in the 9th or 10th i think it was, done well to stay on his feet in the end up.  I think McCloskey would actually be to smart for Khan, seems to lack it a bit upstairs IMO Khan.  Also, in his last fight he was punching his gloves together above his head like Pacman.....what a parasite I thought, stop copying someone else, that was really annoying me, he done it around 2 or 3 times. >:(
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Atticus_Finch

:D  :D You've shown yourself to be a clown by the first line of your post.  You clearly know nada ...  I'm annoyed i'm even responding to you. If it happens, and i'm not convinced it will, Khan will be tested and will have it far from easy.

The Iceman

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on January 14, 2011, 04:22:53 PM

:D  :D You've shown yourself to be a clown by the first line of your post.  You clearly know nada ...  I'm annoyed i'm even responding to you. If it happens, and i'm not convinced it will, Khan will be tested and will have it far from easy.

I'm a clown for not knowing McCloskey's nick name was Dudey? Fair enough. Can't imagine how anyone would make the mistake of mixing up John Duddey with Dudey but whatever.....

I still think Khan is too much for him. Would be the Prince and the Pocket Rocket all over again (seeing as we're talking in nick names here).
I certainly don't think Khan is a world beater, I think he believes his own hype and is too confident. He is a decent fighter, and will be exposed sooner rather than later by world class opposition, not McCloskey.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Have been at a couple of McCloskey's fights. not overly impressed with him tbh.  I hope he proves me wrong and he knocks Khan out.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CiKe

Bit like Milltown Row, I've not been overly impressed though heard very good things. He is an awkward bugger though so could make things interesting. After seeing some of the shots Khan took against Maidana, I'm not so sure Dudey can really really hurt him, but I do think his stamina is maybe questionable.

Someone mentioned Peterson. Lamont or am I missing something? Big one for Khan is winner of Bradley v Alexander. Certainly against Alexander Khan would fancy his chances given respective fights against Kotelnik.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: The Iceman on January 14, 2011, 05:01:12 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on January 14, 2011, 04:22:53 PM

I'm a clown for not knowing McCloskey's nick name was Dudey? Fair enough. Can't imagine how anyone would make the mistake of mixing up John Duddey with Dudey but whatever.....

I still think Khan is too much for him. Would be the Prince and the Pocket Rocket all over again (seeing as we're talking in nick names here).
I certainly don't think Khan is a world beater, I think he believes his own hype and is too confident. He is a decent fighter, and will be exposed sooner rather than later by world class opposition, not McCloskey.

There was the mention of fighting Colin Lynes for a British title in my post as well ... Considering John Duddy has been based in New York his whole professional career, i thought it was clear i wasn't chatting about him.  I just felt that as it appeared you didn't know McCloskey or his career that well, i didn't think you should be making the judgement that Khan would beat him "easily"  but that's just my opinion ...

MR - Dudey would say himself that he wasn't at his best the last few fights. He's going to be a massive underdog for this fight, if it happens, but i think that'll bring out the best in him.

Would agree with Cike, he'll make it awkward for him and that'll be the key to challenging him.  While he's won the last number of fights by knockout, no one is going to argue that McCloskey has explosive power, but at the same time he's no pillow puncher and given the opportunity i think he could sting Khan on a couple of occasions.

Ideally I would have liked to see him get one more fight before he fought any of the elite of the division.  Would have loved to see McCloskey fight Paul Mallignagi in NY. i think not only would Dudey beat Mallignagi but the fight would be a big draw and have raised McCloskey's profile no end. I think Mallignagi has now stepped up to welter so don't know if that would even be a possibility anymore.

Ultimately, I would love to see Dudey get this fight with Khan because i'm starting to worry if he will not get a shot.  People don't expect him to win, i think given the opportunity he will put up a great fight.  I just hope Khan isn't using McCloskey as bait to help him make his first choice fight (Lamont Peterson), i listened to the radio interview last night and that's how it came across at times in the interview.  Fingers crossed it happens, go on Dudey lad.