Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

I thought Lopez edged it but was expecting a home decision. Only uproar seems to be from Warringtons dad. When Eddie Hearn isn't giving out about his own fighter not getting the decision then probably says it all. Warrington made good use of his head last night anyway.

Eire90

conlan fight was a joke farce he was like 1/30 favorite  the other guy 5 time euro champ but dont think being a euro champ means as much  these days and that was probably when he was much younger.

nrico2006

Quote from: Eire90 on December 11, 2022, 01:59:55 PM
conlan fight was a joke farce he was like 1/30 favorite  the other guy 5 time euro champ but dont think being a euro champ means as much  these days and that was probably when he was much younger.

Yep, Euro champion means nothing and think there are even multiple sanctioning bodies who can make you the European champion too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Eubank Jr. knocked stinking in the 4th after a very good 3rd round.

Would have loved to see the pair of them lose.

square_ball

Yip I think Eubank was somehow the lesser of the 2 evils in that fight. He was going along OK in that fight but hadn't a clue where he was after those few punches.

gallsman

As soon as the uppercut landed he was done. Ref really shouldn't have let him take more shots after the first knockdown. He didn't know where he was.

Saffrongael

Those Smiths seem like wankers
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

nrico2006

Surprised to see Eubank hurt never mind dropped. Cutting weight catches most eventually.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

Eubank senior wasn't far off the mark saying how dangerous the Benn fight would have been as Junior was cutting even more weight for that one I think.

nrico2006

Quote from: square_ball on January 22, 2023, 10:06:13 AM
Eubank senior wasn't far off the mark saying how dangerous the Benn fight would have been as Junior was cutting even more weight for that one I think.

True. He looked drained last night and even against Williams he didn't throw as much, especially in the 2nd half, which is unusual considering the volume and ferocity you are used to seeing from him.

gallsman

Incredible fight between Beterbiev and Yarde. Beterbiev is an absolute animal.

Richie Woodhall and two of the judges smoking crack to have Yarde up at the time of the stoppage. I had Beterbiev up 5-2.

square_ball

Very enjoyable fight last night. Yarde is a decent fighter but Beterbiev looked like he was going to get him sooner or later. I had to turn the commentary down after 3 or 4 rounds. Punches that weren't even landed from Yarde were getting talked up like nothing ordinary.

As for that fiasco beforehand with the YouTubers (and I'm putting Fury in that category) is it possible both could get knocked out?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/boxing/2023/02/02/katie-taylor-rematch-with-amanda-serrano-to-be-held-at-3arena-not-croke-park/

Katie Taylor rematch with Amanda Serrano to be held at 3Arena instead of Croke Park
Eddie Hearn says costs of hosting bout at GAA HQ are too high

Katie Taylor looks set to fight Amanda Serrano in the 3 Arena, Dublin on May 20th, according to her promoter Eddie Hearn.

Initial plans were put in place to stage a rematch of the April 2022 fight at Croke Park, with Taylor confirming last year that her team was pushing for the venue, but Hearn has labelled the cost of renting out the GAA's headquarters as prohibitive.

"The cost of hire, the cost of everything involved with the event is three times nearly more than staging it at Wembley Stadium," explained Hearn, speaking on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani. "It's unbelievable, it's so frustrating.

"People will just tweet me and go, 'Shut up Hearn, just do it anyway.' It doesn't work like that, it's a business. Ultimately, Katie Taylor has her financial demands for this fight, so does Amanda Serrano, and we want to make sure we deliver them that.

"But we're so far out on that possibility with the cost of running that show, and we're out of time in terms of delivering that date to the broadcaster that we've got to move."

A fight at the 3Arena is expected to host 9,000 spectators, compared to 80,000+ at Croke Park.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

How big would the demand be to watch Taylor fight?

Seems to make strange moves, been big fights out there fir her that she could have targeted over the past year or two for her legacy. She could have went after McCaskill again and had a chance to be undisputed at two weights simultaneously. Or why not go after Jonas' titles or even fight Shields.