Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Was talking to someone this morning who'd be pretty knowledgeable on all things boxing.  Reckons Whyte actually has a valid argument re Fury pushing him after the uppercut.

Armagh18

Quote from: tintin25 on April 26, 2022, 09:43:14 AM
Was talking to someone this morning who'd be pretty knowledgeable on all things boxing.  Reckons Whyte actually has a valid argument re Fury pushing him after the uppercut.
Probably is outside the rules but Whyte hadn't a clue where he was. I don't think too many would be interested in seeing a rematch, Fury another level.

JimStynes

Most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard. He was punching on the back of the head throughout. Complaining about being pushed in boxing is a laugh.

nrico2006

You would be hard find to identify a fighter who on paper could beat Fury.  All the heavyweights of the past were tiny in comparison to him, even 'big' George Foreman.  Size matters yet he isn't just a big brute.  He is extremely well rounded, has a great chin, good punch variety and brilliant ring IQ.  He can fight on the front foot or back foot, comfortably fight in either stance and his fitness levels are something else.     
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GiveItToTheShooters

Obviously isn't knowledgeable at all then.
Whyte was sleeping before the hit the deck.
And Whyte didn't hit his head of the canvas either, no matter how many times he says so

nrico2006

I found the push strange myself, but things like that happen and I'm surprised Whyte complained about it given the fact that he was trying every trick into the book when in the ring.  Fury has 'improvised' many times before, one that was borderline illegal that jumps out to me was the Cunningham KO.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Wildweasel74

I don't know what you lads are smoking, he's decent for the time but nothing special. He only fought 1 fighter of note Kiltschko, who was on the slide after a long reign. Who actually has he fought who he classed as above decent in other eras. He 33, who in all that time has he found to be an all time great.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 26, 2022, 09:57:29 PM
I don't know what you lads are smoking, he's decent for the time but nothing special. He only fought 1 fighter of note Kiltschko, who was on the slide after a long reign. Who actually has he fought who he classed as above decent in other eras. He 33, who in all that time has he found to be an all time great.
Can only beat what's in front of him. His unique size and movement for that size would make him an awkward match up for any fighter.

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 26, 2022, 09:57:29 PM

Klitschko wasn't on the slide. Fury gave a master class and simply bewildered him. His resume isn't stacked but he has beat the two longest reigning champions of recent times in their backyards and hasn't looked like being beat by anybody. You could analyse the records of all great heavyweight fighters,  such as Lewis and Tyson, and start picking holes in the standard of opposition they faced.

JimStynes

Fury won't be appreciated fully until he retires properly. He's the best of his era and is underrated in my opinion. His boxing skills are exceptional for a man of his size. Lennox Lewis is regarded as one of the best ever but I never really thought much about the men in his era. Holyfield was late 30s and Tyson was completely done.

nrico2006

Quote from: JimStynes on April 27, 2022, 11:56:25 AM
Fury won't be appreciated fully until he retires properly. He's the best of his era and is underrated in my opinion. His boxing skills are exceptional for a man of his size. Lennox Lewis is regarded as one of the best ever but I never really thought much about the men in his era. Holyfield was late 30s and Tyson was completely done.

People slag the standard of Heavyweights now, but its no different than other periods of time really.  As for Lewis, he seems to be held in really high regard yet you could rip apart the standard of opposition he faced as well, plus he was knocked out twice and was on the way to another defeat in his last fight.  The biggest names on his record were Tyson and Holyfield, who were both tiny compared to him too. 

nrico2006

Be surprised if Taylor wins tonight but hopefully she does. Stevenson should beat Valdez too.

gawa316

Serrano fav for this then?

screenexile

What a round of boxing that was I dunno how Katie held on... she's gone I think though hard to see how she comes back.

screenexile

Jesus but that was class Katie was unreal after that 5th round and the finish to the fight the 2 of them trading neither able to stand that was incredible what a fight.

Draw maybe fair but would be hard to complain with either of the 3 outcomes!