Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Good scrap lads!! Could still go either way though Wilder was goosed!

JPGJOHNNYG

Thats that. Good fight

GiveItToTheShooters

Went as expected. Fury too big, too strong, too good. Simple

gawa316

Got to watch it on sportsurge.net

By no means a boxing expert but that's the best fight I've ever seen.

Armagh18

Watched bits of it. Fury is a different level to Wilder. Will the Joshua fight ever happen or would it be too much of a mismatch?

Milltown Row2

Was it a good scrap/brawl or a decent boxing match?

Fury's dad in an interview I heard yesterday said that Wlder will come out all guns blazing and try and finish it in the early rounds, Tyson will absorb these rounds snd wear Wilder down and possibly take him out in the later rounds 8/9 rounds
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: gawa316 on October 10, 2021, 08:00:47 AM
Got to watch it on sportsurge.net

By no means a boxing expert but that's the best fight I've ever seen.

Great fight. Heard Wilder's corner tell him how proud he should be of his performance between a couple of the final rounds, and rightly so. The writing was on the wall then. Some entertainment. 2 warriors

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2021, 09:25:21 AM
Was it a good scrap/brawl or a decent boxing match?

Fury's dad in an interview I heard yesterday said that Wlder will come out all guns blazing and try and finish it in the early rounds, Tyson will absorb these rounds snd wear Wilder down and possibly take him out in the later rounds 8/9 rounds

Nah Wilder had a bit more of a plan and did some damage early with jabs to the body which took Fury a while to work out. After the knockdown though he lost the plan and went back to type and kept trying haymakers. Landed a couple to knock Fury down as well and looked like he could do it. He was very shaky on his feet for the rest of the fight and did rattle off a few right hands but the power was mostly gone.

Fury is so good at using his frame it just sucked the life out of Wilder he was leaning on him and headlocking him every chance he could he's a great fighter.

More of a chance with AJ fighting Wilder to try and work his way back up to Fury. Fury has overtaken him at this stage it might happen because of the history and the chance to sell out Wembley stadium but it's hard to see it happening now.

imtommygunn

Would fury not school Joshua?

nrico2006

Fury Joshua obviously not as big now. It could be bigger if Joshua beats Usyk, but won't be as big as it would have been previously.  It's always been obvious that Fury would school Joshua.

Brilliant fight this morning, Wilder did start well but Fury wasn't as good as in the previous fight, which is probably normal given the lay-off. Fury did lean on him throughout and was told off about headlock, but it was more Wilder constantly putting his head under Fury than anything else. Wilder was knackered from early on and was the same in the first fight. He bulked up for both fights and that extra weight would be hard for him to carry. Fury just needs to keep active going forward, he will be better for it. The man has an unreal fitness level.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

Used to live boxing and watch it fanatically when I was younger. Haven't had the interest in years but was curious how would the likes of Fury match up in comparison to some of the better fighters historically, not Ali or Tyson as they were the best of the best, but the level below that?

nrico2006

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2021, 12:22:48 PM
Used to live boxing and watch it fanatically when I was younger. Haven't had the interest in years but was curious how would the likes of Fury match up in comparison to some of the better fighters historically, not Ali or Tyson as they were the best of the best, but the level below that?

Nostalgia and time change the reality of how older fighters are perceived. Fury and Ali were tiny compared to Fury and size plays a huge part.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 10, 2021, 12:22:48 PM

Really hard to tell. I'd even go as far as saying Foreman would struggle with the sheer bulk of these fighters.

Fury said Tyson would take him out in 30 seconds but he's a student of the discipline and bows to those lads.

Enjoyed that fight so much I watched it twice. It was like two real giants colliding, bodywise.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

shawshank

The current standard is rank lads ffs. The standard below, whats that? Lennox Lewis?

oakleaflad

Nostalgia plays a big part here. Fury is 6 ft 9. That's absolutely massive. Most of the historical greats we think of are closer in size to Usyk and realistically he'd probably batter half of them too. We are bigger, faster, stronger and smarter than we have ever been.

Part of the problem now is that the best heavyweights don't fight each other often enough and look to protect their -0.

Ali still the greatest, Tyson still the most ferocious, but i'm not sure that saying today's generation couldn't hang with the previous ones is really true.