Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I've often thought about this, even for the club I support.

Do the City players care about the owners alleged human rights digressions or are they just happy to lift the ££££.

Similar to the boxers I suppose however because this is closer to home it has more attention

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Taylor on February 05, 2021, 07:45:08 AM

Do the City players care about the owners alleged human rights digressions or are they just happy to lift the ££££.

Similar to the boxers I suppose however because this is closer to home it has more attention

Playing devils advocate somewhat, why should they care I suppose? What business is it of Sergio Aguero or Kevin De Bruyne what happens in a country they probably couldn't even point out to you where it was on the map? They are footballers, not politicians I suppose.

Boxing is a tough, lonely sport. I can see how some of those guys get seduced by the money. Like I said, Boxing has always been dirty and it's a short, potentially life threatening career path.....why would you not fill your boots if you aren't doing anything overly "bad"?

I'm not saying I agree with it, but if someone gives you 500k in cash to put in your bank and you give them back 400k once its in....that's 100k for walking it through the door. A boxer wouldn't care about that.

I'm surprised Frampton moved to MTK, he always seemed like a decent fella to me in interviews and I even met him briefly once in the days before the Kiko Martinez fight. I just genuinely think it's easy enough for Boxers to justify their actions (in their minds) because of the nature of their sport.

Taylor

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 05, 2021, 09:32:09 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 05, 2021, 07:45:08 AM

Playing devils advocate somewhat, why should they care I suppose? What business is it of Sergio Aguero or Kevin De Bruyne what happens in a country they probably couldn't even point out to you where it was on the map? They are footballers, not politicians I suppose.

Boxing is a tough, lonely sport. I can see how some of those guys get seduced by the money. Like I said, Boxing has always been dirty and it's a short, potentially life threatening career path.....why would you not fill your boots if you aren't doing anything overly "bad"?

I'm not saying I agree with it, but if someone gives you 500k in cash to put in your bank and you give them back 400k once its in....that's 100k for walking it through the door. A boxer wouldn't care about that.

I'm surprised Frampton moved to MTK, he always seemed like a decent fella to me in interviews and I even met him briefly once in the days before the Kiko Martinez fight. I just genuinely think it's easy enough for Boxers to justify their actions (in their minds) because of the nature of their sport.

Agree on the Frampton part - surprised he went although who knows how what his finances were like before he got the ruling in the McGuigan case.

Point I am making is that it is easy to take pot shots at boxers for going with MTK - as you say short & dangerous careers so they need to make as much as they can and get out.

Anyway it isnt the boxers that are causing the issues.

On your point about Aguero & KDB not being politicians - boxers arent the law so why should they care about what Kinahan does?

How many other sportspeople are involved with clubs/management companies/countries etc who would be involved in illegal activities?

GetOverTheBar

What Kinahan does is of no relevance really to them, to be honest.

It's not their problem, they are sportsmen and women. The more tuned in probably know deep down what they are doing is helping sports washing, some of the rest, Billy Joe and the likes probably just think Kinahan loves them for their talent, or that he saved them in some way, some maybe just don't care and love the money.

Anybody in professional sports is somewhat detached from reality, look at the amount of premier league players have been caught drink driving, or Covid Breaches and the likes. Money to them solves a lot of their problems....it shouldn't be the way of it, but it is.

Taylor

Agree with all of that.

Strange that boxers seem to be getting some of the flak rather than the root of the problem

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Taylor on February 05, 2021, 10:23:28 AM
Agree with all of that.

Strange that boxers seem to be getting some of the flak rather than the root of the problem

They are getting an unprecedentedly good deal. No management fees and only a cut if they make it at the top. That is, literally, too good to be true.

The analogy with football fails. The owners are vetted and clubs finances are audited. We can discuss what they vet for, bit comparisons between Arab princes and cartels are fatuous

Milltown Row2

It's very simple, which promoter is going to give you a title shot and with it that, a life changing 'pot of gold'

I've known Carl over 20 years, from amateur fights to his first professional fight as an undercard for a Duddy fight, he's not as rich as people think, in fact nowhere near it. He's comfortable but he's worked seriously hard for it.

The McGuigan thing has left him very bitter against a family that treated him as part of their family. Only to be shafted. I personally seen how they got on so well with each other and whatever happened, as I only know bits and pieces as I don't want to be nosey has changed him
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 05, 2021, 10:57:49 AM
Agree with all of that.

They are getting an unprecedentedly good deal. No management fees and only a cut if they make it at the top. That is, literally, too good to be true.

The analogy with football fails. The owners are vetted and clubs finances are audited. We can discuss what they vet for, bit comparisons between Arab princes and cartels are fatuous

MTK I believe, without any evidence, just on following various people who have more insight than I do....they actually cover one of the boxers single biggest expenses also, their fight camp / preparation.

I think this, more than anything else we might have heard or being told brings people under their banner - it's really hard to say no to that, with those type of training partners. It's kind of domino like, considering the sole nature of the sport....once one goes, the other will go.....especially if they have trained together prior.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 05, 2021, 11:46:50 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 05, 2021, 10:57:49 AM
Agree with all of that.

MTK I believe, without any evidence, just on following various people who have more insight than I do....they actually cover one of the boxers single biggest expenses also, their fight camp / preparation.

I think this, more than anything else we might have heard or being told brings people under their banner - it's really hard to say no to that, with those type of training partners. It's kind of domino like, considering the sole nature of the sport....once one goes, the other will go.....especially if they have trained together prior.

Fine. But that great deal is funded by drugs and guns and the boxers know it. The idea that they are above criticism for accepting blood money is ludicrous

GetOverTheBar

Oh they aren't above criticism, that's the least they should expect, especially considering its pretty much an open secret.

The question was do they care? I would have guessed not.

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2021, 10:58:44 AM
It's very simple, which promoter is going to give you a title shot and with it that, a life changing 'pot of gold'

I've known Carl over 20 years, from amateur fights to his first professional fight as an undercard for a Duddy fight, he's not as rich as people think, in fact nowhere near it. He's comfortable but he's worked seriously hard for it.

The McGuigan thing has left him very bitter against a family that treated him as part of their family. Only to be shafted. I personally seen how they got on so well with each other and whatever happened, as I only know bits and pieces as I don't want to be nosey has changed him

He's bound to be a millionaire now after the court case

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on February 05, 2021, 12:13:13 PM

Not at all, the settlement is undisclosed and I think it was more of a benefit to both if I'm reading between the lines ...

If I had a million tomorrow it be spent bey the end of the month !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Frampton is a millionaire, don't think that is up for debate.  He is bound o have earned close to 2 million for the 2 Santa Cruz fights alone. 

As for the footballers or boxers caring about where their money comes from, to be honest, if I were in their shoes I wouldn't care either.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2021, 12:34:39 PM

Not at all, the settlement is undisclosed and I think it was more of a benefit to both if I'm reading between the lines ...

Surely frampton would have earned millions from his big fights? I can't see any other Irish boxers earning anywhere near what he has though.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: JimStynes on February 05, 2021, 12:40:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2021, 12:34:39 PM

Surely frampton would have earned millions from his big fights? I can't see any other Irish boxers earning anywhere near what he has though.

I think this is where the whole court case came from. I had heard he had feck all left from the purse after McGuigan took his share and then Carl had to pay tax on the whole amount from what he had got left with.

The boxers through history have been treated very badly money wise by management companies, who weren't doing anyone any good but themselves. MTK has came in and gave them an unbelievably good deal in comparison. The nature of a boxing career means they'll more than likely take that and ignore the stuff behind it. That's some way understandable - the shite they put on twitter and Instagram after the show the other night wasn't. But it's not surprising when you read what they were saying about covid etc over the last yeay