Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Sounds like McGuigan was found out you'd have thought he'd know better after what happened with Eastwood.

I like Frampton glad he got sorted!

square_ball

That'll be the McGuigans/Cyclone done with promoting I would think. Now that Josh Taylor has gone too have they any one of note left in their stable? Who in their right mind would even sign for them?

nrico2006

Dunno if they do promoting now. Shane coaches Okolie, Fowler, Campbell and a few others but think they are maybe ties to Matchroom.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

Quote from: square_ball on November 13, 2020, 10:35:04 AM
That'll be the McGuigans/Cyclone done with promoting I would think. Now that Josh Taylor has gone too have they any one of note left in their stable? Who in their right mind would even sign for them?

I am sure there would be takers but would they be of quality?  I think it has been said before, but Shane should cut ties.  He seems to be a talented enough coach in his own right.

square_ball

Shane is a top quality trainer. Interestingly he was announced as trainer and manager of Fowler but there was no mention of Cyclone, Barry or any of the brothers. Maybe he's cutting links with them in case a Frampton/Taylor fallout happens again.

Taylor

Would agree that Shane is a quality trainer who would do much better without the Cyclone baggage.

Problem is now he will be continually associated with them unless he comes out and publicly splits.

Has wee Barry declared himself bankrupt yet so that Frampton doesnt get a penny?

Captain Obvious

Pure dominance by Katie Taylor tonight. Gutierrez delighted to last 10 rounds.

6th sam

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 14, 2020, 11:30:56 PM

What a role model.
Best Irish athlete of all time ?

From the Bunker

Gutierrez is a tough cookie!  Got the feeling Taylor eased off toward the end as she knew she might have to seriously hurt her to stop the fight,

mrdeeds

Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2020, 11:41:19 PM

What a role model.

No. It's not elite sport with a small pool of opponents.

screenexile

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2020, 12:06:41 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 14, 2020, 11:41:19 PM

What a role model.

No. It's not elite sport with a small pool of opponents.

Yeah she's up there though. McIlroy probably still the best.

An Watcher

Mcilroy with a shit load more talent than Harrington has one more major than him and tbh I don't know where the next is coming from. How can mcilroy be the greatest Irish sportsman when he doesn't even claim to be Irish sometimes. He can go and f**k himself

mrdeeds

Roy Keane is. And I'm no Roy Keane fan. But he was at an ultimate elite level for a years as captain of Utd. Soccer biggest sport in world and in 99 was arguably most influential player in world.

HiMucker

Finding this hard to rank, loads of GAA athletes to consider as well. KT Taylor is up there with the all time greats of Irish sport. She is absolutely amazing. Anyone remotely involved in boxing at any level will know how special she is, a once in a generation athlete who has transcended the sport. She has moved women's boxing, she has moved boxing to a different level.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: HiMucker on November 15, 2020, 01:05:45 AM
Finding this hard to rank, loads of GAA athletes to consider as well. KT Taylor is up there with the all time greats of Irish sport. She is absolutely amazing. Anyone remotely involved in boxing at any level will know how special she is, a once in a generation athlete who has transcended the sport. She has moved women's boxing, she has moved boxing to a different level.
Being top dog in a minority sport doesn't make her the best Irish athlete or even part of the conversation. Some lads on here falling over themselves to appear politically correct. McIlroy is mixing it with the best in one of the biggest sports in the world - simply no comparison with women's boxing.