Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Poor from the ref. Now ive only seen clips but they looked like low blows to me. But even if the ref believed they were fair should he not then have went to a count?

Hound

Quote from: lurganblue on June 19, 2017, 02:35:23 PM
Poor from the ref. Now ive only seen clips but they looked like low blows to me. But even if the ref believed they were fair should he not then have went to a count?
No such thing as standing 8 count in the Unified Boxing Rules, so if the man being hit is not defedning himself properly, but still on his feet, then the only way the ref can interfere is by calling it off. The little bit of wriggle room is if the ref says it's only the ropes holding him up and that therefore technically he is down.

Kovalev, knowing that he was hit low, should have taken a knee.

lurganblue

Quote from: Hound on June 19, 2017, 02:46:33 PM
No such thing as standing 8 count in the Unified Boxing Rules, so if the man being hit is not defedning himself properly, but still on his feet, then the only way the ref can interfere is by calling it off. The little bit of wriggle room is if the ref says it's only the ropes holding him up and that therefore technically he is down.

Yeah i suppose you are right.  It's just ive never seen a stopage quite like it. You regularly see the ref step in when a lad is gettin the head beat off him and not throwing back but this was something different altogether.  Again not having seen the whole lot, was kovalev in serious enough trouble to warrant the stopage?

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on June 19, 2017, 02:59:58 PM

Yeah i suppose you are right.  It's just ive never seen a stopage quite like it. You regularly see the ref step in when a lad is gettin the head beat off him and not throwing back but this was something different altogether.  Again not having seen the whole lot, was kovalev in serious enough trouble to warrant the stopage?

Kovalev was only in trouble due to low shots.  Wasn't in serious enough bother for it to be stopped.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omaghjoe

This makes Buchanan Duran look like a tickle and that has hounded Duran to this day. Having watched it again Ward was going low the whole time from r7 on, I reckon it was Kovalev was meeting and matching him on the inside so he had to do something.

Would love for someone to tell me what is so great about Ward..... seriously tell me some aspects of his style that you actually enjoy watching.

Sad day for boxing not because he lost fight 1, or repeated punched his opponent in the balls in fight 2. but because he is now considered the undisputed p4p champion. The frustrating thing is, Boxing has some great fighters at the moment GGG, Lomachenko, Spence, Rigo, Garcia,  Thurman, Canelo.... all of whom are a joy to watch but somehow grapple-hold-bitch is deemed the best.... wud drive ye mad.

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 19, 2017, 03:38:49 PM

Kovalev was only in trouble due to low shots.  Wasn't in serious enough bother for it to be stopped.

Ah come on did you see the right hand he shipped? Flush on the jaw and he was all over the show.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 20, 2017, 06:27:37 AM

Ah come on did you see the right hand he shipped? Flush on the jaw and he was all over the show.

Yeah he set the punch up rightly with all the low blows before hand, Kovalev was unsettled by them not to mention that he didn't know where the best place was to protect.

It was the hardest cleanest punch Ive ever seen Ward give anyone, he gave it everything and he staggered Kovalev a bit, but at that weight a prize fighter hits any1 like that and it should be lights out, "all over the show" is just nonsense. The fact that Ward kept going to the balls tells me that he knew his legal shots would have no affect.

nrico2006

Of course the right hand was a big shot and had him in trouble, but it was the low blow before this that had him open for the right hand.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 20, 2017, 04:37:16 AM
This makes Buchanan Duran look like a tickle and that has hounded Duran to this day. Having watched it again Ward was going low the whole time from r7 on, I reckon it was Kovalev was meeting and matching him on the inside so he had to do something.

Would love for someone to tell me what is so great about Ward..... seriously tell me some aspects of his style that you actually enjoy watching.

Sad day for boxing not because he lost fight 1, or repeated punched his opponent in the balls in fight 2. but because he is now considered the undisputed p4p champion. The frustrating thing is, Boxing has some great fighters at the moment GGG, Lomachenko, Spence, Rigo, Garcia,  Thurman, Canelo.... all of whom are a joy to watch but somehow grapple-hold-bitch is deemed the best.... wud drive ye mad.

I've the same view on Wards place among the P4P ratings.  You have the like of Lomachenko who is out of this world and boxes like a thing of beauty, then you have Ward who wrestles and holds nearly more than he punches.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 20, 2017, 08:16:49 AM

Of course the right hand was a big shot and had him in trouble, but it was the low blow before this that had him open for the right hand.

That punch was right on the belt line. The belt covers his belly button ffs.

gallsman

Steve Collins Vs Nigel Benn 3...

God help us if this actually happens.

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2017, 09:44:50 AM

Just read that . . . what the f**k?? Boxing was starting to come out of the doldrums a bit but this and McGregor Mayweather isn't going to help things!!

WT4E

To be fair the gypos fight at this age all the time!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on June 29, 2017, 10:01:26 AM

Just read that . . . what the f**k?? Boxing was starting to come out of the doldrums a bit but this and McGregor Mayweather isn't going to help things!!

This idea that happening on a few good match-ups meant boxing was getting better is madness. The mafia-like boxing associations and the fact the sport is entirely controlled by big promoters is a hell of a lot more damaging to the sport than McGregor-Mayweather or any other fight could ever be.

Cunny Funt

Steve Collins (52) v  Nigel Benn
(53) WTF fight that would be.