Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: No wides on February 16, 2017, 03:41:33 PM
Serious question.  Obviously its all about the money, but ffs how many rematches are they going to have?

Why do teams keep playing eachother year after year?

Aside from that Boixing is business and the 2 previous fights were good fights so will attract a bigger audience for more money. Nothing stopping them from having as many rematches as they want. I know I'll watch it!!

screenexile

As an aside I don't think he is but is there a chance McGregor would get into the ring with Mayweather??

Surely he knows there's no way it doesn't end up a humiliating defeat for him!

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2017, 04:07:25 PM
As an aside I don't think he is but is there a chance McGregor would get into the ring with Mayweather??

True but think of the coin

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on February 16, 2017, 04:08:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2017, 04:07:25 PM

True but think of the coin

Mayweather should try and get a bit of credibility and fight him in the cage after the boxing match.  But its Mayweather, of course he won't.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Yeah Mayweather lacks credibility alright...

gallsman

Idiotic comment. Mayweather, the one who'll call all the shots when he wants, to prove his credibility, should just go and try a different sport he has no familiarity with. He'd lose a tennis match against Serena Williams too. Pffft, couldn't even beat a girl!

Nrico has a history of calling out decorated boxers as soft or as duckers for not fighting whoever he thinks they should fight.

JimStynes

What a complete farce of a fight that would be. I couldn't see it being the biggest fight of all time. A waste of time more like. McGregor wouldn't lay a glove on him and Mayweather will likely stop him. I reckon it is just both fighters keeping themselves relevant. The trash talk would be amazing to be fair.

The rematch with LSC and Frampton has to happen to see who is the best. It's 1-1 at the minute. If it was 2-0 then I could see why people would say there is no need for a rematch. I would like to see Selby v Frampton in Belfast and LSC V Gary Russell Junior. Then the winners fight to unify the division in Las Vegas. I still think it is such a shame that the best fighter in around those weight classes can't get a look in. Rigo was ducked by everyone as he is not a big money fighter but more importantly, he is just better than everyone. He's getting on in years now too. I do see it as the one blemish on Frampton's career.

No wides

Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2017, 04:06:25 PM
Quote from: No wides on February 16, 2017, 03:41:33 PM
Serious question.  Obviously its all about the money, but ffs how many rematches are they going to have?

Why do teams keep playing eachother year after year?

Aside from that Boixing is business and the 2 previous fights were good fights so will attract a bigger audience for more money. Nothing stopping them from having as many rematches as they want. I know I'll watch it!!

If Dublin beat Kerry in the all ireland final there isnt an instant rematch there is a competition the next year boxing is a joke you are beat let the next competitor have a go.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on February 16, 2017, 04:29:47 PM
Idiotic comment. Mayweather, the one who'll call all the shots when he wants, to prove his credibility, should just go and try a different sport he has no familiarity with. He'd lose a tennis match against Serena Williams too. Pffft, couldn't even beat a girl!

Nrico has a history of calling out decorated boxers as soft or as duckers for not fighting whoever he thinks they should fight.

Of course its not the smart thing to do, but its the fair thing to do.  McGregor isn't a boxer, yet he is expected to step into a boxing ring against a multiple weight world champion.  Mayweather fighting McGregor in the cage would make it fair.

What decorated boxers have I called soft or duckers by the way? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Taylor

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 17, 2017, 08:18:56 AM

Of course its not the smart thing to do, but its the fair thing to do.  McGregor isn't a boxer, yet he is expected to step into a boxing ring against a multiple weight world champion.  Mayweather fighting McGregor in the cage would make it fair.

Assuming you are on the wind up?
In your mind it is fair for them to go in a cage where FM has zero experience of MMA rather than a ring?
You do know CMG throws punches in MMA?

Right so

AZOffaly

CMG started out as a boxer didn't he?

nrico2006

Quote from: Taylor on February 17, 2017, 10:47:51 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 17, 2017, 08:18:56 AM

Assuming you are on the wind up?
In your mind it is fair for them to go in a cage where FM has zero experience of MMA rather than a ring?
You do know CMG throws punches in MMA?

Right so

The stand up game in MMA is completely different than boxing, they fight at a different range and jabbing is almost non-existent.  As for your point about CMG thowing punches in MMA, surely Mayweathers exceptional skill in this art gives him a certain skillset to work with if in the cage.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on February 16, 2017, 05:50:14 PM
What a complete farce of a fight that would be. I couldn't see it being the biggest fight of all time. A waste of time more like. McGregor wouldn't lay a glove on him and Mayweather will likely stop him. I reckon it is just both fighters keeping themselves relevant. The trash talk would be amazing to be fair.

The rematch with LSC and Frampton has to happen to see who is the best. It's 1-1 at the minute. If it was 2-0 then I could see why people would say there is no need for a rematch. I would like to see Selby v Frampton in Belfast and LSC V Gary Russell Junior. Then the winners fight to unify the division in Las Vegas. I still think it is such a shame that the best fighter in around those weight classes can't get a look in. Rigo was ducked by everyone as he is not a big money fighter but more importantly, he is just better than everyone. He's getting on in years now too. I do see it as the one blemish on Frampton's career.

And anyone else that has ducked him?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2017, 11:45:27 AM

Surely if Rigo fought more frequently he would eventually get his mandatory title fights/big fights.

JimStynes

Quote from: lurganblue on February 17, 2017, 12:31:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2017, 11:45:27 AM

Surely if Rigo fought more frequently he would eventually get his mandatory title fights/big fights.

He can't get anyone to fight him. It's a real shame we won't get to see the best fighters fighting him as he is truly gifted. His one big fight was against P4P top 10 Donaire and he won that by UD. High risk and low reward for the likes of LSC and Frampton to fight him. Frampton talked about fighting him in the past but then changed his tune and said that he has a family to think about and make as much money as he can. I don't blame frampton at all for that. It is a money business. Rigo is probably over the hill now too, so that ship has sailed I would say.