Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: HiMucker on December 12, 2016, 09:41:51 AM
Quote from: gallsman on December 12, 2016, 09:28:02 AM
This is the myth that people perpetuate about MMA. The Swanson-Choi fight was an absolute cracker, yes. Know what wasn't in it? Good boxing. It was two lads battering away at each other with no defence whatsoever. That's not what people watch boxing for.
I think your wrong there.  Its not what people who know their boxing watch it for, but I'd say its main reason most people who buy those pay per views watch it for.  The vast majority of people who tune in don't have a clue about boxing and want to see a tear up.

I agree but the current trend of "warm up" fights and scenarios where someone like Molina (and Breazale before him) get a crack at the heavyweight championship of the world is just madness and someone could get seriously hurt. Pitching the likes of Callum Smith against Luke Blackledge was just dangerous, as was David Allen v Luis Ortiz. The boxers don't have to be top drawer to get a good fight - look at Chisora v Whyte. Both fairly average but produced a proper good contest. Another example is the disregard for weight classes that is creeping in more and more. Its ok for a dominant figure in one weight class to move on...the like of Pacman, Leonard and maybe even Carl Frampton shows that it can be done but moving up for a one big fight such as Brook v GGG and Khan v Canelo and most recently Bellew v Haye are downright dangerous. 
That was never a square ball!!

lurganblue

Watched a right few hours of this on Saturday night and for the most part i enjoyed it.  Callum Smith needs to be fighting at world level and that should have happened about 1 year ago.

Good to see Quigg back in action and i thought he did well. The lad he was fighting seemed to have a chin like granite but eventually the pressure told. Can see him getting a shot at Selby next year.

White and Chisora developed into an entertaining fight! I scored it 1 round to White but you couldnt complain if it went either way.  At stages both fighters looked beaten but were able to claw their way back in. Would certainly watch a rematch.

Main event was a joke. Was always gonna be the case.  Never big enough for PPV (luckily sportsmania did the business with a top quality stream)!  ;D

BennyHarp

Chris Eubank Jr to move up to super middle, fight some guy called Renold Quinlan, on PPV on ITV Box Office. So many questions....why move to Super middle when he's been chasing GGG and Billy Joe? Who is Renold Quinlan? And what the fcuk is ITV box office all about? Surely this will barely hit 10k buys! I love my boxing but there's no chance I'm buying this!

lurganblue

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 13, 2016, 06:45:45 PM
Chris Eubank Jr to move up to super middle, fight some guy called Renold Quinlan, on PPV on ITV Box Office. So many questions....why move to Super middle when he's been chasing GGG and Billy Joe? Who is Renold Quinlan? And what the fcuk is ITV box office all about? Surely this will barely hit 10k buys! I love my boxing but there's no chance I'm buying this!

No chance people will buy this. He's being mismanaged

an léirmheastóir

Quote from: lurganblue on December 14, 2016, 09:09:40 AM

World title shot hard to turn down in fairness, I know he didn't want ggg but not many do. I agree he is being mismanaged by his father but no one can doubt jrs talent. I think if bjs give him a rematchthere would be a different outcome.

The middleweight division is probably the most competitive in boxing maybe that's why he moved up.

Syferus

Quote from: an léirmheastóir on December 20, 2016, 08:02:28 PM

World title shot hard to turn down in fairness, I know he didn't want ggg but not many do. I agree he is being mismanaged by his father but no one can doubt jrs talent. I think if bjs give him a rematchthere would be a different outcome.

The middleweight division is probably the most competitive in boxing maybe that's why he moved up.

I seriously doubt his talent. Hits about as hard as new born baby.

an léirmheastóir

Quote from: Syferus on December 20, 2016, 08:04:47 PM

Talent is more than power but his record 23wins 18 kos says he hits hard enough. Has speed accuracy movement to boot. The lad is an arrogant p***k and his das worse but he has talent.

Syferus

Quote from: an léirmheastóir on December 20, 2016, 08:48:52 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 20, 2016, 08:04:47 PM

Talent is more than power but his record 23wins 18 kos says he hits hard enough. Has speed accuracy movement to boot. The lad is an arrogant p***k and his das worse but he has talent.

He could win one of the alphabet titles at lower weights but the heavier he goes the more his limitations will be exposed imo. Depends on the opponent, but you put him in even with a proper supper middleweight like Andre Ward (I know he's moved up for now) and even without knockout power they'd bully Eubank.

BennyHarp

I don't doubt Eubank's talent but I do doubt the ability of his team to get the best out of him and his mentality to actually do what it takes to be a proper champion. He has a range of punches and a crunching uppercut that would trouble most even at middleweight though!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 20, 2016, 09:43:34 PM
I don't doubt Eubank's talent but I do doubt the ability of his team to get the best out of him and his mentality to actually do what it takes to be a proper champion. He has a range of punches and a crunching uppercut that would trouble most even at middleweight though!

For me Eubank jnr is a European champion level boxer,  good but not near as good as the elites at mw

BennyHarp

Quote from: JoG2 on December 20, 2016, 09:49:36 PM

For me Eubank jnr is a European champion level boxer,  good but not near as good as the elites at mw

He's moved up to super middle, at that division is he really that far away from Badou Jack or James Degale? He'd have to ditch his dad and get a proper trainer but I think he definitely has the talent to be very good.

an léirmheastóir

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 20, 2016, 10:00:50 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 20, 2016, 09:49:36 PM

He's moved up to super middle, at that division is he really that far away from Badou Jack or James Degale? He'd have to ditch his dad and get a proper trainer but I think he definitely has the talent to be very good.

He certainly does have all the talents and I'd be inclined to agree about his team or he has to get a strong person in to guide him in the right direction saying that if Eddie Hearn or frank warren couldn't do it I don't know who can.
As for the assertion that he is European level I disagree what level is BJS he was beat by him yes but started to slow. I'd be interested to know what level you think some of the other top middleweight prospects are if Eubank who is ranked top 5 in every rating going where do you put Cummings Quigley and the likes of Tommy Langford all of who if they met at the minute Eubank would beat? 

nrico2006

Eubank has the talent and is tough, but its a joke how he is being managed.  He would beat BJS if they fought again and he is the current MW champion.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

Frampton fight to be shown live on Sky (not PPV).  Amazing considering a dud fight like Joshua's last one was PPV. (i'll be streaming either way)

nrico2006

Quote from: lurganblue on December 21, 2016, 12:31:53 PM
Frampton fight to be shown live on Sky (not PPV).  Amazing considering a dud fight like Joshua's last one was PPV. (i'll be streaming either way)

Was just giving off about that there now to a boy in work.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'