Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

an léirmheastóir

Absolutely shocking news.

On another note there feels like it's wrong to be watching live boxing at half 8 in the morning.

Boycey

Katie won easily, the biggest problem is gonna be get enough quality fighters for her?

Chisora and Whyte mightn't be much good but at least they evenly matched and having a go at each other.

screenexile

Jaysis lads that was great stuff!!

Wasn't expecting that at all a draw and a rematch would be great!

Far East

Wasn't it just.  After all the prefight ballocks, they put on a hell of a show.
They've earned a headlining rematch and the extra $ they'll surely make

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: screenexile on December 10, 2016, 11:50:08 PM
Jaysis lads that was great stuff!!

Wasn't expecting that at all a draw and a rematch would be great!

Had Chisora by 1 but it could easily have been 3 points either way.

Best heavyweight bout in years.

beer baron

That was some brawl. I was a bit surprised Whyte got it, i was thinking draw or Chisora if there was a winner but i haven't a notion  ;D

screenexile

That was a disgrace... that lad hid as best he could to make sure the knock down that would eventually come didn't cause him too much harm!

Hopefully the Klitschko fight is a contest at least. Lucky enough for the fans there were a few decent fights on the undercard because that was a shambles!

bridgegael

At least Joshua will be in the ring with a proper heavyweight now in klitscho, Father Time and near 2 years out of the ring will be big factors in the fight.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BennyHarp

Started watching the boxing about two hours late so only finished now. Thoroughly enjoyable card with Burton v Buglioni and Whyte v Chisora particularly exciting. I had Chisora winning as he seemed to land the most consistently punishing shots but wouldn't complain about the result either way. The whole AJ thing is beginning to piss me off though. He has literally fought nobody of any standing and is lauded like he is the worlds greatest athlete. He may go on to be very good but the whole ring interview thing with Klitchko was beyond cringeworthy.

One other thing that has been bugging me for a while is the idea of these "warm up" fights. Pitching lads in against massively inferior opponents is a recipe for disaster. Luke Blackledge, David Allen and Eric Molina (if he had even bothered to engage in a fight) took way too much punishment tonight in fights they were never in a million years going to win. There has to be something done to get more even fights and getting the better fighters fighting each other.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: bridgegael on December 11, 2016, 12:36:11 AM
At least Joshua will be in the ring with a proper heavyweight now in klitscho, Father Time and near 2 years out of the ring will be big factors in the fight.

He fought Fury a year and two weeks ago.

bridgegael

Yeah meant to say year and a half,  it was late.😴
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Hound

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 11, 2016, 01:51:26 AM
Started watching the boxing about two hours late so only finished now. Thoroughly enjoyable card with Burton v Buglioni and Whyte v Chisora particularly exciting. I had Chisora winning as he seemed to land the most consistently punishing shots but wouldn't complain about the result either way. The whole AJ thing is beginning to piss me off though. He has literally fought nobody of any standing and is lauded like he is the worlds greatest athlete. He may go on to be very good but the whole ring interview thing with Klitchko was beyond cringeworthy.

One other thing that has been bugging me for a while is the idea of these "warm up" fights. Pitching lads in against massively inferior opponents is a recipe for disaster. Luke Blackledge, David Allen and Eric Molina (if he had even bothered to engage in a fight) took way too much punishment tonight in fights they were never in a million years going to win. There has to be something done to get more even fights and getting the better fighters fighting each other.
That's why I stopped watching boxing years ago and am delighted that I've found UFC in recent years to replace it. Two competitive bouts, a heap of one-sided mis-matches, where there was absolutely no doubt about the result. In Molina's last fight he knocked out Adamcek in the 10th, while 7 rounds to 2 down on all scorecards. Adamcek, who had lost 2 of his previous 3 fights, his win coming against an unranked Pole. And this is good enough to get Molina a shot at the Heavyweight World title!! On pay-per-view!

UFC 206 was on BT later the same night. With 205 being the probably best card ever assembled in UFC's history, there was always going to be an "after the Lord Mayor's show" feel about it. This was compounded when the main event got pulled when the champ got injured. And they turned the new main event into an interim title fight to add some glitz. So it's not without it's faults, but when it comes to the fights, they were just fantastic entertainement.

9 fights on BT Sport, and all 18 fighters would have been confident of victory. No mis-matches, no warm-ups, and some absolute corkers of fights. I'd urge any boxing fan to watch all of the Swanson v Choi fight on youtube as an example

gallsman

This is the myth that people perpetuate about MMA. The Swanson-Choi fight was an absolute cracker, yes. Know what wasn't in it? Good boxing. It was two lads battering away at each other with no defence whatsoever. That's not what people watch boxing for.

HiMucker

Quote from: gallsman on December 12, 2016, 09:28:02 AM
This is the myth that people perpetuate about MMA. The Swanson-Choi fight was an absolute cracker, yes. Know what wasn't in it? Good boxing. It was two lads battering away at each other with no defence whatsoever. That's not what people watch boxing for.
I think your wrong there.  Its not what people who know their boxing watch it for, but I'd say its main reason most people who buy those pay per views watch it for.  The vast majority of people who tune in don't have a clue about boxing and want to see a tear up. 

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on December 12, 2016, 09:28:02 AM
Well it's not boxing, it's MMA. Very difficult in MMA to operate a successful defensive gameplan for any length of time, unlike in boxing. But my main point is that fighters fight against lads who are at a similar level. When you get a "pick-em" fight in boxing, you feel special to witness such a rarity! 

Although in boxing, I'm not sure too many people watch it for the defensive tactics. The fights of the year are generally the one were two lads are going at it hammer and tongs.

I remember being at a Joe Calzaghe fight in the MEN in Manchester back in his heyday. Defending his WBO world title against some inferior opponent, who didnt land a glove on Joe for 12 rounds. Calzaghe utterly dominant, but never tried to stop his opponent. Jab and run for 12 rounds, scorecards 120-108, 120-108 and 120-108. Snoozefest. Then Joe would moan about why he wasn't more popular!