Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

He won that terrible decision but he ain't fighting near what he's capable of... Hard to know why

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on November 18, 2016, 06:26:52 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 18, 2016, 04:26:40 AM
Yeah he did in fairness but where they any good? Esp that last guy,... the purse split was 95-5 in Wards favour. Yer man got 20K or something like that... WTF.

It was a tune up fight. This weekend's fight was agreed on proviso they would each come through a tune up in the summer.

Tune up or not that degree of mismatch should be over in a few rounds... in fairness a similar argument could be made for Kovalev's last fight.

Anyway PPV in the states  :( dicks

square_ball

Quote from: longballin on November 18, 2016, 08:32:39 PM
He won that terrible decision but he ain't fighting near what he's capable of... Hard to know why

Yeah Barry McGuigan wasn't happy with him afterwards regardless of the bad decision. Said he's brilliant in sparring but not producing it when it matters.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: square_ball on November 18, 2016, 09:20:51 PM

Yeah Barry McGuigan wasn't happy with him afterwards regardless of the bad decision. Said he's brilliant in sparring but not producing it when it matters.

Barry being completely honest I've heard more about this a few years ago, plenty potential but not bringing home the bacon.... frustration I'm sure but this lads needs to commit to the cause
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

longballin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2016, 12:03:44 AM

Barry being completely honest I've heard more about this a few years ago, plenty potential but not bringing home the bacon.... frustration I'm sure but this lads needs to commit to the cause

He's totally committed but once in the ring just aint cutting loose. He does put in the work training and all that...

BennyHarp

Haven't looked forward to a fight as much in a long time as I am for this Ward Kovalev fight tonight. Both guys are genuinely top drawer but a question mark or two over Wards recent opponents and the fact that he's stepping up makes it even more intriguing. Still think Ward is too slick and will win on points but hanging on a bit in the last few rounds.
That was never a square ball!!

square_ball

Did any of you read Carl Froch column on his right with Ward? He is genuinely deluded! He said if the fight was over 15 he could have stopped him and didn't understand how people said he was outclassed.

On a side note I see Sky got rid of Glenn McCrory. Disappointing as I thought he was one of the better pundits on sky.

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on November 19, 2016, 10:05:41 AM
Did any of you read Carl Froch column on his right with Ward? He is genuinely deluded! He said if the fight was over 15 he could have stopped him and didn't understand how people said he was outclassed.

On a side note I see Sky got rid of Glenn McCrory. Disappointing as I thought he was one of the better pundits on sky.

I thought Froch was fairly honest about that fight, he acknowledged that he barely laid a glove on him for most of the fight and knew he had lost it. Froch's strength was always coming on strong late on in a fight and I'm sure he felt that he was just beginning to catch up with Ward in the last two rounds so obviously he'd think that he would be gaining the advantage if the fight went on. I do agree that he talks an awful pile of nonsense but on this occasion I thought it was a decent enough analysis.

square_ball

Yeah majority of it was grand but just the fact that he couldn't resist bigging himself up at some stage of the article. You'd like to think there would be a degree of humility now he has retired but I guess it's a boxers physchy not to be.

George Groves was impressive enough last night though read there that his opponent is in hospital! Corner probably should have thrown in the towel as he was getting hit a lot without returning much in the last few rounds.   

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on November 19, 2016, 11:15:50 AM
Yeah majority of it was grand but just the fact that he couldn't resist bigging himself up at some stage of the article. You'd like to think there would be a degree of humility now he has retired but I guess it's a boxers physchy not to be.

George Groves was impressive enough last night though read there that his opponent is in hospital! Corner probably should have thrown in the towel as he was getting hit a lot without returning much in the last few rounds.

Yeah I think Froch struggles with the fact that he is no longer relevant, his comments to GGG show how he tries to force his way into the limelight. Groves looked good last night, his punches looked very accurate and powerful but most importantly he looked strong for the full 12 rounds which has been a criticism of him in the past.

STREET FIGHTER

What time is ring walk expected?

BennyHarp

omaghjoe

Froch is a total shite talker and I would like to add a shite boxer. Id rather watch Ward box, and that's saying something.

I could forgive a boxer for talking shite while he is still active, it can all be put down all a bit of bravado to raise his profile etc. But when hes retired and talking about comebacks to sort out the current crop it shows  he's nothing only a wally.

Golovkin summed it up nicely for me "Your a clown who talks to much"

an léirmheastóir

Quote from: longballin on November 19, 2016, 01:18:39 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2016, 12:03:44 AM

He's totally committed but once in the ring just aint cutting loose. He does put in the work training and all that...

Absolutely committed to his trade but listening to Barry last night he sounds like he is a great gym boxer. He is no better than European level at best, a level I think is below British ironically, he lacks power and movement in the ring and doesn't have the killer instinct which was evident when he has his man on the ring last night. He loves a brawl but that doesn't always get you the win evidence being the meli fight where in my opinion he was lucky to get the draw, Shane Mc guigan was telling him things in the corner last night and Cummings did not do them during the round. He left himself open to often when firing combinations mittag was fit to counter.
All that being said Conrad won that fight last night I had it a score of 97:94 he did land some of the cleaner shots and was stronger in the final rounds. It was a bad decision and Cummings can feel aggrieved with the result but a measure of the man will be how he comes back from this upset as I fear the cyclone gravy train for him may be nearing an end if he doesn't start producing soon