Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

He should have quit after Ruiz alright. Interesting that he was chasing a Tyson fight and maybe if he got that he'd have quit. Even the decision he got over Tarver when coming back down off the Ruiz fight was a joke and then he had the bad KOs against Tarver and Johnson that was the beginning of the end.

BennyHarp

The Maccranelli fight was one of the most bizarre boxing matches I've seen. He was fighting out of Russia if I'm not mistaken and stood for the Russian national anthem. Enzo then knocked him out fairly swiftly. Jones Jr was definitely one of the greatest and it's difficult to understand why or how someone like him keeps going. He just can't let go. I fear a very tragic ending to his story!
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 29, 2016, 09:29:12 AM
The Maccranelli fight was one of the most bizarre boxing matches I've seen. He was fighting out of Russia if I'm not mistaken and stood for the Russian national anthem. Enzo then knocked him out fairly swiftly. Jones Jr was definitely one of the greatest and it's difficult to understand why or how someone like him keeps going. He just can't let go. I fear a very tragic ending to his story!

He took out Russian citizenship, honoured by Putin etc. Have to dig out an article I read, possibly from Guardian about the circumstances around it. Jones trying to claim it wasn't just a stunt etc. It was a freak show, not an athletic competition. Two lads who are sure to have brain damage swinging at each other. You can hear the slurring in Jones' voice in his analysis on the HBO broadcasts. A crying shame as his analysis is incredible, a brilliant replacement for Steward.

The scariest thing for me from the Bleacher Report piece before the fight was that Jones genuinely appeared to think he could win the cruiserweight title. Utterly delusional.

CiKe

Quote from: gallsman on August 29, 2016, 09:39:40 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 29, 2016, 09:29:12 AM

He took out Russian citizenship, honoured by Putin etc. Have to dig out an article I read, possibly from Guardian about the circumstances around it. Jones trying to claim it wasn't just a stunt etc. It was a freak show, not an athletic competition. Two lads who are sure to have brain damage swinging at each other. You can hear the slurring in Jones' voice in his analysis on the HBO broadcasts. A crying shame as his analysis is incredible, a brilliant replacement for Steward.

The scariest thing for me from the Bleacher Report piece before the fight was that Jones genuinely appeared to think he could win the cruiserweight title. Utterly delusional.

Someone at the Mayo clinic must not be doing their job right if something hasn't been detected at this point and that is what he is hanging on to.

Nrico, I remember watching that as well, but he took sweet revenge in the rematch!

Walter Cronc

Does anyone give Brook a chance against GGG??

The main fight has got a decent undercard too. Looking forward to seeing Benn jr!

HiMucker

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 08, 2016, 01:03:53 PM
I cant see anything other than a GGG knockout.  Might place a bet for the 8th round.  Looking forward to it.  About time the fella was able to get a big fight.

gallsman

The main fight has got a decent undercard too. Looking forward to seeing Benn jr!

Saw Benn Jrs debut. He's very raw. Don't think he has much of an amateur background.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2016, 01:28:25 PM

Saw Benn Jrs debut. He's very raw. Don't think he has much of an amateur background.

No doubt - very raw. Just want to see has he progressed any.

CiKe

Not really. Brook had good hand speed but can't see him having the power to keep golovkin off him. Which in turn means his footwork and defensive work would need to be be Rigondeauxesque which it isn"t which is going to be a problem as golovkin cuts off the ring very well.

Give huge credit to Brook for taking this fight as shows he has some pair of stones but can't see how doesn't end in KO. Brook has a good chin so may not be as early as you might think but hard to see him lasting into the championship rounds.

JoG2

Quote from: CiKe on September 08, 2016, 02:22:06 PM

Not really. Brook had good hand speed but can't see him having the power to keep golovkin off him. Which in turn means his footwork and defensive work would need to be be Rigondeauxesque which it isn"t which is going to be a problem as golovkin cuts off the ring very well.

Give huge credit to Brook for taking this fight as shows he has some pair of stones but can't see how doesn't end in KO. Brook has a good chin so may not be as early as you might think but hard to see him lasting into the championship rounds.

Agreed.  Golovkin will just keep marching forward and doesn't mind taking a few as he continuously lands bombs.  Brook won't last 8 rounds I don't think. Brook will certainly land a few but will they be enough to ruffle Golovkin? Can't see it  tbh.  Really looking forward to it. 

Be about 11pm ring walk?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: JoG2 on September 08, 2016, 05:09:55 PM

Agreed.  Golovkin will just keep marching forward and doesn't mind taking a few as he continuously lands bombs.  Brook won't last 8 rounds I don't think. Brook will certainly land a few but will they be enough to ruffle Golovkin? Can't see it  tbh.  Really looking forward to it. 

Be about 11pm ring walk?

Think I seen 10pm or a little later....

No doubt KB will put up a good fight....

Both fighters can't get a fight at their own weight...

Win/win really for both with loads of cash...

oakleaflad

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on September 08, 2016, 07:09:03 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 08, 2016, 05:09:55 PM

Be about 11pm ring walk?

Think I seen 10pm or a little later....

No doubt KB will put up a good fight....

Both fighters can't get a fight at their own weight...

Win/win really for both with loads of cash...
Brook has more of a chance than Khan had going in against Canelo but I still can't see past Golovkin and agree with the comments above.

I actually think Brook has very dangerous fights (Thurman, Spence Jr) at his own weight class and may move up one weight after this fight to avoid them. Other than Porter he hasn't faced any top class opposition. That being said I'm a fan of his and he is probably the best boxer in Britain at the moment.

gallsman

Both make weight with GGG coming in at 158.9. A bit strange.

BennyHarp

I'm a big Brook fan but he realistically has no chance tomorrow night, but I've been sucked in by all the hype and as the fight draws closer I'm beginning to think Brook might put up a decent show. I don't think we have seen the best of Brook, he's unbeaten so you just never know..........actually, we do know.......he's going to be knocked out! But I'm still looking forward to it!
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on September 09, 2016, 06:40:52 PM
Both make weight with GGG coming in at 158.9. A bit strange.

Whats strange?