Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Bit of needle between Carruth and Dunne?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

FermGael

Carruths brother one of the men who got rid of Billy Walsh.
Dunne is obviously uncomfortable with the whole setup and biting his tongue.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2016, 12:07:04 AM
Bit of needle between Carruth and Dunne?

What's in the needle?
MWWSI 2017

yellowcard

USA performing well, Ireland performing badly. Guess what the story is going to be unless Mick Conlon can somehow grab a gold in his division to save the situation.

macdanger2

Quote from: FermGael on August 11, 2016, 12:17:49 AM

Carruth wasn't one bit happy at the suggestion that Walsh's departure had anything to do with the losses to date.

Thought Bernard Dunne gave good analysis, no excuses or blaming the ref

screenexile

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 11, 2016, 01:03:45 AM

Carruth wasn't one bit happy at the suggestion that Walsh's departure had anything to do with the losses to date.

f**k Carruth, it's hard to argue that Walsh's departure hasn't had a negative effect on the setup!!! Both Ward and Barnes looked sluggish whether it was the weight or training and the O'Reilly situation beggars belief!

moysider

Yes. He said that Ward didn't show up basically and that his tactics were bad. Diplomatic way of saying that coaching and preparation was poor. Saying a boxer didn't do himself justice and looked tired and unfit in first fight in Olympics is fairly damning. How does that happen??

I just think he was beaten. Not by a better boxer as such, but by an opponent he couldn't  deal with effectively. Even though he was a familiar enough opponent and they would have analysed him inside out or so you would think.   

Asal Mor

Quote from: screenexile on August 11, 2016, 01:14:55 AM

f**k Carruth, it's hard to argue that Walsh's departure hasn't had a negative effect on the setup!!! Both Ward and Barnes looked sluggish whether it was the weight or training and the O'Reilly situation beggars belief!
Carruth was making me angry listening to him. To say that O' Reilly's positive test, the Barnes weight fiasco and Joe Ward totally under-performing, had nothing to do with coaching is ignorant. I didn't know the reason but you could tell he was a lad with a grudge against Walsh. To say that it's just down to the boxers to perform and the coach is only the guy who gives you water between rounds, is bizarre, especially coming from a lad who is one of the most limited boxers to ever win an Olympic gold, something he could not have come close to doing without good coaching and a scoring system that rewarded cagey, negative boxing.

macdanger2

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 11, 2016, 08:34:56 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 11, 2016, 01:14:55 AM

Carruth was making me angry listening to him. To say that O' Reilly's positive test, the Barnes weight fiasco and Joe Ward totally under-performing, had nothing to do with coaching is ignorant. I didn't know the reason but you could tell he was a lad with a grudge against Walsh. To say that it's just down to the boxers to perform and the coach is only the guy who gives you water between rounds, is bizarre, especially coming from a lad who is one of the most limited boxers to ever win an Olympic gold, something he could not have come close to doing without good coaching and a scoring system that rewarded cagey, negative boxing.

Was funny when he mentioned Ward's tough draw, how he would have had to fight the french guy in the next round.  :o

JimStynes

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/roy-jones-jr-s-br-long-goodbye/

Cracking article about the legend Roy Jones Junior. It's long but a great read. I wish he would retire before he seriously gets hurt.

muppet

Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2016, 09:42:33 PM

Cracking article about the legend Roy Jones Junior. It's long but a great read. I wish he would retire before he seriously gets hurt.

Excellent article. Thanks for putting it up.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on August 28, 2016, 01:18:32 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2016, 09:42:33 PM

Excellent article. Thanks for putting it up.
Is it the money, the attention or the adrenaline that keeps these boys going? Surely they have money in the bank.

gallsman

That piece is from before his fight with Maccarinelli which ended...with another brutal knockout. Big Mac had been on the receiving end of too many of those as well.

JimStynes

Quote from: gallsman on August 28, 2016, 06:32:23 AM
That piece is from before his fight with Maccarinelli which ended...with another brutal knockout. Big Mac had been on the receiving end of too many of those as well.
If I remember correctly, Maccarinelli didn't celebrate the knockout and was nearly apologetic about beating Jones Jnr. It's sad he has tainted his legacy, he should have retired at the top. One of the best ever.

nrico2006

Good article.  He is the best I have ever saw.  Never forget watching him lose his perfect record against Montell Griffin, first time I got pissed off at a boxing result.  Never the same when he boiled down from HW.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'