Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

Great position to be in, to not only have plenty of options but to be able to call the shots on those options.

Woke up on the morning after the fight and took a look at the Sports Personality of the Year award market.  Stan James had him priced up at 200/1, thought i't was worth a  fiver.  They were not offering e/w terms (i.e. top 3 finish), wish they were.  If Frampton has a big fight in October/ November I think he would be a contender for a top 3 finish in it especially if it was Selby but can't see it happening this year.  In contrast to the likes of Murray at least Frampton has the personality which despite the title of the award doesn't seem to be as an important part of the criteria as it should be.

Iceman - Agree a fight with Mares would do better PPV numbers in the States.  Think if Carl had his heart set on a fight in Belfast then Mares would be willing to travel over. 

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

nrico2006

Rigondeaux is getting older and has been put down quite a few times recently.  Russel Junior is very good but apparently he is going to move up and chase for a rematch with Lomachenko, although I heard conflicting reports that he wants to unify the FW division first.  A lot of interesting fights out there in this division now, as Quigg will come into the equation I can see him having a big fight soon against one of the big hitters.  It also goes to show how underwhelming JJ Nevin's career has been so far when you see someone he beat at the Olympics sitting as a World FW Champion now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Nevin has had a fair few issues since 2012.

DuffleKing

I understand the politics and business influence on making matches in professional boxing now but it really frustrates me.

Rigondeaux And GGG have both had relatively low profile and middling careers because the best fighters around them won't face them. Again, I understand why but I pine for the era when every fighter wanted to prove he was king of the jungle and took on all comers. Invariably the money took care of itself on the back of that approach.

Rigondeaux Looks really classy and maybe untouchable but with Father Time creeping about it looks like we'll not have any evidence either way.

Christmas Lights

Thats why I admire Amir Khan to be honest, he never ducks anyone and always looks to fight the best.  Boxing can be so frustrating because a lot of the time you rarely see number 1 vs number 2.  The best boxers are so desperate to keep an unbeaten record that they start to cherry pick fights.  PBF Mayweather has been doing it for years. 

lurganblue

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 05, 2016, 03:08:48 PM
Thats why I admire Amir Khan to be honest, he never ducks anyone and always looks to fight the best.  Boxing can be so frustrating because a lot of the time you rarely see number 1 vs number 2.  The best boxers are so desperate to keep an unbeaten record that they start to cherry pick fights.  PBF Mayweather has been doing it for years.

Khan has ducked Brook for years now

Syferus

Quote from: lurganblue on August 05, 2016, 03:58:46 PM

And Brook will be torn apart by GGG..

oakleaflad

Quote from: lurganblue on August 05, 2016, 03:58:46 PM

I disagree slightly. I think Khan realizes the Brook fight will always be there for him where as the Mayweather and Pacquiao type fights he wanted won't. 

bennydorano

I agree, like an unrequited love triangle, Brook wanted Khan, Khan wasn't interested, Khan wanted Manny / Floyd who both weren't interested.

JimStynes

Easy win for Ward last night then!

BennyHarp

Quote from: JimStynes on August 07, 2016, 10:08:47 AM

Yes, was up with the little one so watched it. Won every round easy and looked like he was in second gear throughout. Kovalev interviewed in the ring with him afterwards, that'll be a proper fight between two of the best!
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2016, 10:21:01 AM

Yes, was up with the little one so watched it. Won every round easy and looked like he was in second gear throughout. Kovalev interviewed in the ring with him afterwards, that'll be a proper fight between two of the best!

Havent watch either of their latest fights but apparently Kovalev struggled with a mediocre technical opponent a few weeks ago in Russia. Granted he probably wasnt up for the fight but if its a indication of how he deals with these sorts of opponents he  will really struggle with Ward

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 07, 2016, 03:21:46 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2016, 10:21:01 AM

Havent watch either of their latest fights but apparently Kovalev struggled with a mediocre technical opponent a few weeks ago in Russia. Granted he probably wasnt up for the fight but if its a indication of how he deals with these sorts of opponents he  will really struggle with Ward

And Ward is many levels above Chilemba who Kovalev beat. He makes it look very easy and is very hard to hit. But I suspect neither Kovalev or Ward were at their as both had an eye of the super fight next.

BennyHarp

Eddie Hearn tweeted today that for the official 30 day weigh in, Kell Brook weighed 176lbs and GGG weighed 165lbs.  :o Kell will be lucky to make middleweight at this rate!  ;D

gallsman

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 10, 2016, 08:35:35 PM
Eddie Hearn tweeted today that for the official 30 day weigh in, Kell Brook weighed 176lbs and GGG weighed 165lbs.  :o Kell will be lucky to make middleweight at this rate!  ;D

16 pounds in 30 days? No bother whatsoever.