Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

take_yer_points

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 21, 2016, 03:11:20 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on July 19, 2016, 08:53:44 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on July 07, 2016, 07:47:02 PM
Any announcement on what TV channel is picking up the Frampton fight?

Anyone know this?

Just announced that the fight will be broadcast on Boxnation in UK and Ireland.

Saw that  myself there, cheers

Walter Cronc

Hearing now Frampton wont be on until like 4am Irish time!!

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 28, 2016, 02:10:46 PM

About 11 New York time. Sounds about right.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 28, 2016, 02:10:46 PM
Is that Californian Irish time?

omaghjoe

I see Santa Cruz is the favourite for this but then I was chatting to a lad at work the day about it. He reckons Frampton will win, says that Santa Cruz has lost power moving up in weight and has never fought anyone decent, throws punches like crazy and if Frampton stays calm and uses his brain he should win...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 29, 2016, 06:28:40 AM
I see Santa Cruz is the favourite for this but then I was chatting to a lad at work the day about it. He reckons Frampton will win, says that Santa Cruz has lost power moving up in weight and has never fought anyone decent, throws punches like crazy and if Frampton stays calm and uses his brain he should win...

Taller longer reach, at home, he's fought good fighters also to be champion.... This will be Carls toughest fight to date, to be fair though he's prepared the best for this, he's been in the states for a good while and is hitting the bag harder than before seeing as he's up a weight....

Hopefully the body shots Carl can hit will create opportunities to put Cruz down. Just be worried with Cruz's reach that he'll be able to keep him at bay!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ashman

What happened to the McGuigan policy that Carl's fight would be on terrestrial TV .  I know the Quigg fight was Sky due to Hearn managing Quigg bot tomorrow is on Box Nation.

JimStynes

Hope I am wrong but I just can't see Frampton winning this one. I think Santa Cruz has maybe a 7 inch reach advantage and doesnt stop throwing punches. I honestly haven't been massively impressed with Frampton. He's looked good against ok opposition but Santa Cruz is a different story.  Hopefully I'm talking shite and he does the business though.

Atticus_Finch

Ashman - To be fair I don't think mcGuigan ever had a policy that Carl's fights were going to be on terrestrial TV.  Ultimately it's going to be on the channel that will offer the most revenue. In terms of order you are talking 1. Sky (difficult unless you are a matchroom fighter or facing a matchroom fighter)  2. Boxnation 3. The likes of Premier or Setanta 4. Terrestrial  ..... and if your name is David Haye, you are fighting an absolute bum and you can't give tickets away for the fight you will fight on a channel called Dave.

I think it was Chris Avalos and Gonzalez Jnr that Frampton fought on ITV and with the fight being on ITV then they were always going to be a few positive noises about the general public getting to see it.  From what i remember the viewing figures were quite good for both of them but you couldn't compare this fight to those two.  Santa Cruz is a proper operator and with that there is major interest in this fight.

In terms of a prediction - I really hope i'm wrong but struggling to see how Frampton will be able to penetrate the reach advantage.  I've no doubt that he is feeling stronger than he has ever but the thing to bear in mind is that while he is punching harder than he was that with fighting in a higher weight class his opponents will now have greater punch resistance.

Frampton will have a game plan and I was looking at his sparring partners, one guy Pablo Rubio is not only a similar build and style to Santa Cruz but has also sparred with Santa Cruz which will hopefully give Frampton a pretty useful inside track into fighting SC.  I see McGuigan has been referring to Rubio as their secret weapon, refusing to reveal his name to the press but it's not hard to work out who McGuigan is talking about.  Frampton's camp seem to be exuding confidence and relishing the underdog status.

My head says Santa Cruz wins this on a decision, my heart says that Frampton wins by 10th round KO.   I think I am going to go with my heart on this one.

The very end of this interview with Frampton had me laughing.  See what his response is to how his fans back home are going to stay awake for the fight (about the 3 minute mark onwards), would love to see him winning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AprMwkbjuC4
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on July 29, 2016, 09:57:38 AM
Hope I am wrong but I just can't see Frampton winning this one. I think Santa Cruz has maybe a 7 inch reach advantage and doesnt stop throwing punches. I honestly haven't been massively impressed with Frampton. He's looked good against ok opposition but Santa Cruz is a different story.  Hopefully I'm talking shite and he does the business though.

I agree. This is a step too far, and a bad move by McGuigan similar to the bad decision by Barney Eastwood that practically ended McGuigan's career.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nrico2006

Quote from: Orior on July 29, 2016, 11:10:35 AM

I agree. This is a step too far, and a bad move by McGuigan similar to the bad decision by Barney Eastwood that practically ended McGuigan's career.

What is the alternative?  Fight bums or try to be the best you can be.  Santa Cruz isn't a notoriously heavy puncher and if Frampton's engine is not as decimated due to not having to cut as much weight then I would be hopeful that his counter punching can be successful. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on July 29, 2016, 11:10:35 AM

I am glad to see him taking the fight. It's good to see him fighting elite levels such as Santa Cruz, good enough pay day and gets exposure in the states if he puts on a good show. If he does get beat he still has a lot of alternatives after this, won't be the end of his career. Not fighting Rigo is the smart move but shit for me as i simple love watching Rigo fight, but it does the likes of Frampton no good at all - high risk and low reward and all that.

Jeepers Creepers

I think if Frampton is able to connect with one good punch. Looking at them in the ring last night, Santa Cruz is like a jockeys whip compared.

bennydorano

https://youtu.be/396c6NrTjLQ

HBO story of The War, Hagler v Hearns, brightened up my Friday night   

Shows the punch Hearns catches Duran with  - unreal.

JimStynes

Not impressed with Luke Campbell here.