Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Can't wait!! Might even try get over to England for that fight!

omaghjoe

Whats so great about it? Brook is 2 divisions below GGG and going on past talk from him, this fight will be at 160.

Brook might be able to test him technically but Golovkin will be able to walk thru his punches and land his bombs if he doesnt like it

Another cakewalk, Brook could get hurt. GGG has cleared out MW so he should be going up to look for opponenets not down and down again

BennyHarp

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 08, 2016, 09:20:08 PM
Whats so great about it? Brook is 2 divisions below GGG and going on past talk from him, this fight will be at 160.

Brook might be able to test him technically but Golovkin will be able to walk thru his punches and land his bombs if he doesnt like it

Another cakewalk, Brook could get hurt. GGG has cleared out MW so he should be going up to look for opponenets not down and down again

I think it's a bit like when the Khan - Canelo fight was announced, in the respect that it's come completely out of the blue, which has generated the excitement and is most definitely an intriguing match up. In my view Brook is massively underrated and for me is the best welterweight in the world. He's big for welterweight, he's unbeaten and unlike Khan, when he stepped up, he doesn't have a glass jaw. The thing about Brook is that we don't know how good he is and this is the big fight that he has needed to make a statement. That's not to say he will win, I think he'll most likely get knocked out, but it's a nothing to lose fight for Brook, win and he's propelled to superstardom, lose and he still is 147 champion with a much bigger profile to get the big money fights in the division. It's by far the biggest fight of the year in Britain and yes you can pick holes in it all day long if you want but I for one am genuinely excited about it and will do my best to make it down to watch it. 
That was never a square ball!!

TF15

Khan Canelo and Brook GGG kind of sums boxing up at the minute. Firstly, two world class British fighters at the same weight class won't fight each other, one jumps up crazy weight to get a mega fight but is also a suicide mission. What does Brook do? Outdoes Khan in another suicide mission against the p4p best fighter in the world 2 weight classes above.

While on the other side we have Canelo who's team won't let him fight GGG so he drops back to 154 to fight Liam bloody Smith.

There's no way on earth Brook wins this, if you think there is you don't understand boxing and weight classes, this isn't WWE. GGG has a serious chin and walks through middleweight punches, is the most vicious puncher in boxing and has exceptional footwork to cut the ring off. Brook wouldn't win if he came into the ring with a baseball bat. At least Eubank was a live challenge but this is nonsense. Boxing is a mess right now.

DuffleKing

In fairness to brook I think he'd fight anyone but has been sidestepped by a lot of people who should be facing him.

TF15

I agree, Brook wants a big fight but public pressure has made him go for this lunacy as the Vargas fight was getting tricky to make and he couldn't face not fighting a big name. It's not good for the sport, even if it generates big hype. It's frustrating.

Atticus_Finch

I'm still shocked by this. Thought Golvokin vs Eubank was a done deal. Golovkin was taunting Eubank over social media to sign the deal and then next thing this fight comes out of the blue. Eubank maintaining the whole time that he was never shown one contract.    Both Eubank and Brook are represented by Hearn, I still haven't seen anything from Hearn describing what's happened here.  I'd imagine that Chris Eubank snr would be an absolute nightmare to work with. I reckon he was playing hard ball to the extent that even Hearn got fed up with it and made the fight for Brook instead.

I'd been organising a trip to Manchester to see the Linares vs Crolla fight at the end of September. Think that will be a cracker of a fight but now tempted by this. Hearn will have presented it to Brook as a win win situation.  Would have rather seen the two more natural match ups (Khan vs Brook, Alvarez vs GGG). But they both could still happen.

Anyone making the trip for the Frampton vs Santa Cruz fight ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

DuffleKing

Hearn said on sky that Eubank was making unreasonable demands over PPV. Said that Joshua, etc all get the same deal on PPV but Eubank wanted more but Brook took it.

'Never seen a contract' is a cop out line - would imagine everything is hammered out verbally before anyone would bother drawing up contracts.

bridgegael

Hearn said there was a deadline by which Eubank had to sign contract,  more than like Sr was looking a few concessions,  deadline passed and can only imagine that brook sign the same contract that was meant for Eubank.  Brook needed a big fight, but this is too big for him
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Atticus_Finch

Agree bridgegael.

I'm still happy to see fights happening rather than no fights happening.  Hearn knows there is too much money to be made from doing business with Golovkin and will have presented it to Brook as a win win situation.

Think Brook is a great fighter but the gulf in weight will be surely too much.  Golovkin by KO in rounds 7 or 8 for me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 09, 2016, 11:03:25 AM
I'm still shocked by this. Thought Golvokin vs Eubank was a done deal. Golovkin was taunting Eubank over social media to sign the deal and then next thing this fight comes out of the blue. Eubank maintaining the whole time that he was never shown one contract.    Both Eubank and Brook are represented by Hearn, I still haven't seen anything from Hearn describing what's happened here.  I'd imagine that Chris Eubank snr would be an absolute nightmare to work with. I reckon he was playing hard ball to the extent that even Hearn got fed up with it and made the fight for Brook instead.

I'd been organising a trip to Manchester to see the Linares vs Crolla fight at the end of September. Think that will be a cracker of a fight but now tempted by this. Hearn will have presented it to Brook as a win win situation.  Would have rather seen the two more natural match ups (Khan vs Brook, Alvarez vs GGG). But they both could still happen.

Not making fight, in-laws' going.... Going to be a tough ask for Carl... Taller fighter bigger weight good puncher, away from home..just a few factor's for me that will work against him....

Carl would need to start early, get the hard body shots in and put him away quickly, cant let it go further than 8/9 rounds for me, home decision and all that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Apparently Eubank wanted to triple ticket prices and choose who commentated on Sky. Hearn said he has the same business model for every pay per view fight and wasn't happy to give control of logistics to the Eubanks. Fair play to him for setting the deadline and moving quickly to make the alternative match up. As far as I can gather, Eubank Jr is not officially part of the Matchroom team but has used Hearn on occasion to organise fights.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2016, 12:29:15 PM

Not making fight, in-laws' going.... Going to be a tough ask for Carl... Taller fighter bigger weight good puncher, away from home..just a few factor's for me that will work against him....

Carl would need to start early, get the hard body shots in and put him away quickly, cant let it go further than 8/9 rounds for me, home decision and all that

A tough night lies ahead for Frampton, no doubt about it.  He hasn't been given the credit he deserves for taking the fight. Hopefully he does the business.

Eubank Jnr sending out a few sour grapes tweets I see.  Taking absolute dog's abuse for it. I've said it before on here - he needs to get rid off the old man, his ego is just too big and he's an absolute rocket.  Why would you ever send him in to negotiate on your behalf ?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 09, 2016, 07:16:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2016, 12:29:15 PM

A tough night lies ahead for Frampton, no doubt about it.  He hasn't been given the credit he deserves for taking the fight. Hopefully he does the business.

Eubank Jnr sending out a few sour grapes tweets I see.  Taking absolute dog's abuse for it. I've said it before on here - he needs to get rid off the old man, his ego is just too big and he's an absolute rocket.  Why would you ever send him in to negotiate on your behalf ?

Apparently Eubank Sr has sacked Eddie Hearn as his sons promoter. I get the feeling it may have been the other way round.

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 09, 2016, 01:15:24 PM

Apparently Eubank wanted to triple ticket prices and choose who commentated on Sky. Hearn said he has the same business model for every pay per view fight and wasn't happy to give control of logistics to the Eubanks. Fair play to him for setting the deadline and moving quickly to make the alternative match up. As far as I can gather, Eubank Jr is not officially part of the Matchroom team but has used Hearn on occasion to organise fights.

Just read that about Sr, what a plank he is, good stuff for him. Choosing Commentators WTF?