Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Reports that he was out on the rip a while ago and a few theories that he wasn't in fit enough shape for the fight and they hadn't sold enough tickets. Going by the pic of his ankle it looks bad enough and a genuine reason not to fight.

Some fights on tonight. Looking forward to this thurman v porter fight! Two very good boxers.

BennyHarp

Quote from: JimStynes on June 25, 2016, 07:27:08 PM
Reports that he was out on the rip a while ago and a few theories that he wasn't in fit enough shape for the fight and they hadn't sold enough tickets. Going by the pic of his ankle it looks bad enough and a genuine reason not to fight.

Some fights on tonight. Looking forward to this thurman v porter fight! Two very good boxers.

Yes, looking forward to the Thurman fight. Time to see how good he is. PPV card on Sky looks very lop sided with only the Groves v Murray fight really looking like a contest.
That was never a square ball!!

Carmen Stateside

Thurman wins in what was easily the best fight of the year so far. Really enjoyable fight fair play to both boxers. Thurman deserved decision just about. Porter is one tough boxer and put up a good show.

square_ball

Do matchroom/sky ever publish their PPV sales? Surely with all the various options in the UK for streaming the fight they couldn't be that good? Plus the cards rarely if ever justify it.

JimStynes

would love brook to get a go at him now! I didn't wake up for the fight so I'm waiting to find a good stream for it here.
Joshua did the business last night again. I want to see him in with a decent boxer so we can really judge him. Was really disappointed with Martin Murray. He looked like a fighter who was completely done and over the hill. Eubank junior looked good against poor opposition, he won't get it as handy in his next fight.....

bridgegael

Agree on Murray, he looked shot last night. A lot of tough fights catching up on him.  Should have won world title in any one of his title fights bar GGG. A few hometown decisions went against him.
Still not convinced about Joshua,  merely on the fact he has fought nobody,  granted there isn't a whole pile out there.  I still think Fury beats him.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

gallsman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on June 26, 2016, 04:40:58 AM
Thurman wins in what was easily the best fight of the year so far. Really enjoyable fight fair play to both boxers. Thurman deserved decision just about. Porter is one tough boxer and put up a good show.

You obviously didn't see Salido-Vargas a few weeks ago.

BennyHarp

Quote from: bridgegael on June 26, 2016, 09:02:14 AM
Agree on Murray, he looked shot last night. A lot of tough fights catching up on him.  Should have won world title in any one of his title fights bar GGG. A few hometown decisions went against him.
Still not convinced about Joshua,  merely on the fact he has fought nobody,  granted there isn't a whole pile out there.  I still think Fury beats him.

To be fair to Murray he is as hard as nails and many a fighter would have packed it in during round 9. Unfortunately he's become a go to fighter for guys who need a tough fight before moving up a level. It's a shame as he was so unlucky in two of his world title bids.

I know people, (justifiably), don't like him but I love watching Eubank Jr. I think he'll give GGG a war and is one of very few fighters who has the confidence to bring it to him, but he's far too open and the fight won't last too long I'd imagine.

I agree about Joshua. Still not convinced. He is very one dimensional, throwing the same combinations over and over, yes he hits very hard but can he mix it up and adapt when his big bombs aren't landing and he's getting picked off......like Fury would do?

JimStynes

Joshua got caught with a punch in his second last fight and he was in trouble. A better fighter would have had him out of there. So I am not convinced on his chin.
Cant find the full fight for thurman and porter but the highlights are great! Looked like a war, both men throwing serious power punches in every exchange.

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 25, 2016, 06:56:23 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 25, 2016, 06:02:25 PM
Fury looking a tube right now after his slating of Haye when he was injured and postponed

Have you seen his ankle?

Not disputing his injury, just seems very hypocritical to call a fight of with an injury when he lambasted Haye for doing the same.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 26, 2016, 09:40:09 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on June 26, 2016, 09:02:14 AM

To be fair to Murray he is as hard as nails and many a fighter would have packed it in during round 9. Unfortunately he's become a go to fighter for guys who need a tough fight before moving up a level. It's a shame as he was so unlucky in two of his world title bids.

I know people, (justifiably), don't like him but I love watching Eubank Jr. I think he'll give GGG a war and is one of very few fighters who has the confidence to bring it to him, but he's far too open and the fight won't last too long I'd imagine.

I agree about Joshua. Still not convinced. He is very one dimensional, throwing the same combinations over and over, yes he hits very hard but can he mix it up and adapt when his big bombs aren't landing and he's getting picked off......like Fury would do?

Outr of all the potential candidates at middleweight I would see Eubank as good as anybody and the most likely to cause GGG problems.  Eubank is very talented but can be hit.

As for Joshua, he is too stiff and predictable and in all reality he has fought nobody yet.  People like to laud how he has proven he has a chin because he got hit by a punch from Whyte, I'm also not convinced.  I couldn't see him going the distance with Haye and Fury would keep him at bay for 12 rounds.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bridgegael

Any announcement on what TV channel is picking up the Frampton fight?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BennyHarp

Kell Brook v Gennady Golovkin on Sept 10th at O2. Great fight! Wonder what the Eubanks will have to say about that. 

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 08, 2016, 05:29:41 PM
Kell Brook v Gennady Golovkin on Sept 10th at O2. Great fight! Wonder what the Eubanks will have to say about that.

:o :o :o

Never saw that comin in a million years!

oakleaflad

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 08, 2016, 05:44:40 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 08, 2016, 05:29:41 PM

:o :o :o

Never saw that comin in a million years!
+1

Not disappointed though