Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 14, 2016, 05:40:56 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 12, 2016, 03:53:20 PM
a great warrior

http://www.the42.ie/matthew-macklin-retires-2765399-May2016/

He was indeed. Put in 2 great attempts at winning a World title. I actually never seen the fight with Strum before so I watched it there... actually could see how Strum could have been deemed the winner in that. He had much more cleaner punches than Macklin who threw many more punches, depends how you are scoring it, defo the kind of decision you get at home tho.

On a side note did Strum ever attempt to avoid a punch by moving his body? he's all gloves and elbows.

Pity the Andy Lee or John Duddy fight never materialised but sure thats pro boxing

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 14, 2016, 05:40:56 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 12, 2016, 03:53:20 PM
a great warrior

http://www.the42.ie/matthew-macklin-retires-2765399-May2016/

He was indeed. Put in 2 great attempts at winning a World title. I actually never seen the fight with Strum before so I watched it there... actually could see how Strum could have been deemed the winner in that. He had much more cleaner punches than Macklin who threw many more punches, depends how you are scoring it, defo the kind of decision you get at home tho.

On a side note did Strum ever attempt to avoid a punch by moving his body? he's all gloves and elbows.

Pity the Andy Lee or John Duddy fight never materialised but sure thats pro boxing

Shame those bouts never materialised indeed.

At one stage there was the prospect of having some great match ups at middleweight and at one point it looked like Sky were going to put on a "super six style" event featuring the likes of Macklin, Andy Lee, Murray and Barker they even did a "Gloves are off" episode with them all but it never transpired.

Macklin was an entertaining fighter and mixed it with the very best. St the end of a harsh decision against Sturm and fought Sergio Martinez when he was close to his best.

I wonder how much events outside the ring were a factor in his decision to hang up the gloves ? The Kinahan gang are known associates of MGM (Macklin's gym Marbella) and it was no coincidence when an MGM weigh in at the Regency hotel in Dublin was used to try and target a Kinahan gang member.  There was also the shooting of Jamie Moore (his former trainer) while he was training Macklin out in Marbella a couple of years back.  Being close to those events would surely take it's toll on anyone.  One thing for sure is that if Macklin ever decides to release an autobiography it would be an interesting read. 
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

omaghjoe

I really wish Mayweather would f**k off but ive been wishing that for a wile now. You cant avoid his slabbering in boxing news these days and you cant avoid it. He is an egotistical moron who will say anything to remain in the limelight. As far as I am concerned he is finished.

The McGregor fight will not happen, a GGG fight will not happen, if he does come out of retirement it will be another borefest with Pacquiao.

Syferus

Danny Garcia is the hot tip. Easy win for Mayweather. May-Pac II or even May-McGregor would be far more interesting.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2016, 01:15:05 PM
Danny Garcia is the hot tip. Easy win for Mayweather. May-Pac II or even May-McGregor would be far more interesting.

If and it's a big IF Mayweather was to fight McGregor, could he seriously claim a fight against someone who has never boxed professionally before as his 50 - 0? It surely would be like an exhibition fight and not be officially sanctioned by any worthwhile boxing board.
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Mayweather-McGregor would be in no way interesting whatsoever ffs. It would be a one sided schooling with no redeeming features..

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on May 17, 2016, 02:10:22 PM
Mayweather-McGregor would be in no way interesting whatsoever ffs. It would be a one sided schooling with no redeeming features..

McGregor's mouth would sell it beforehand but i agree, completely schooled.

Haye ready to fight wilder if the povetkin fight falls apart.  The Haye comeback has been useless to date. Hasnt challenged himself at all. Pointless.  Would like to see him fight Wilder

gallsman

Quote from: lurganblue on May 17, 2016, 03:33:57 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 17, 2016, 02:10:22 PM

McGregor's mouth would sell it beforehand but i agree, completely schooled.

Haye reader to fight wilder if the povetkin fight falls apart.  The Haye comeback has been useless to date. Hasnt challenged himself at all. Pointless.  Would like to see him fight Wilder

Oh it would sell alright, but the shite that would come out of both their mouths would only be interesting to those stupid enough to swallow it.

lurganblue

Also, the Bellew fight bill at Goodison is shaping up nicely.  I'd have more interest in seeing Callum Smith perform again than Bellew TBH though.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10284339/callum-smith-added-to-tony-bellew-vs-ilunga-makabu-bill-at-goodison-park

Atticus_Finch

Alvarez and GGG have another week to agree a fight otherwise WBC said it will go to purse bids.

Purse spilt hasn't been revealed but it is thought that Alvarez will receive the lion's share of the split.

Syferus

It will pay for is hospital bill anyways.

nrico2006

Alvarez has vacated the WBC title. Unbelievable action from the man, apparently wants the fight but wants more time to negotiate. Disgusting antics as they are obviously trying to get away from the 160 weight limit and push for a catchweight - why so afraid Alvarez when you weigh more than Golovkin on fight nights anyway.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

Unbelievable alright nrico.  It's significant as Jose Sulaiman and the WBC have always shown bias towards Mexican fighters as well.  Chavez jnr in particular over the years has been given some very generous treatment.  He has vacated as it looks better (only slightly) than being stripped. I'm sure he will be getting a bit of criticism from fight fans all around the globe particularly in Mexico.

JimStynes

Time wasting. He wasn't really the middleweight champ anyway. Never fights at the bloody weight and fights at more or less light middle. Vacated the belt so he doesnt have to take the fight on other people's terms. He will want to fight Golovkin for a bigger split and lower weight. Golovkin should just take the fight and beat him then be done with it. He's getting on and hasn't fought any superstars yet. I would have loved to have seen Mayweather and Golovkin at 154.

JimStynes

Also, I would much rather see GGG and Ward fight at 168 ahead of Canelo v GGG.

omaghjoe

"In Mexico we dont f**k around" ::)

What a fuckin Chicken, he got his ass kicked in a sparring sesion in Big Bear a few years back and knows it will happen again.

The fight is not goin to happen... GGG wants to unify the division