Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Read that Canelo weighed in at 181 and Khan weighed in at 160 on fight night. That is ridiculous if it is true. What sort of boxer is Jason Quigley? He's a fighter I don't know much about apart from a few highlights in his last few fights. Has made a good start to his career, 11 fights and still only 24.

The Iceman

haven't seen anything of him live just highlights like yourself - has a good attitude, nice combinations, good boxing - he's getting decent exposure and being moved up slowly be Oscar De La Hoya I think he'll do alright. Is he a little small for the weight? I think to look at him he could drop down a division? Irish boxing is thriving at the moment!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Quote from: JimStynes on May 13, 2016, 11:34:46 PM
Read that Canelo weighed in at 181 and Khan weighed in at 160 on fight night. That is ridiculous if it is true. What sort of boxer is Jason Quigley? He's a fighter I don't know much about apart from a few highlights in his last few fights. Has made a good start to his career, 11 fights and still only 24.

Thats f**king shocking, 21lbs diference! Canelo really is a freak in that department and he is within his rights to use it to his advantage but making a fight with a guy two divisions below the weight limit and then putting on that amount of extra weight is completely unfair. Add into that his winging that he is to small for MW when very few middle weights would enter the ring at 180. For reference I believe GGG's is 170 or something like that

omaghjoe

Quote from: JoG2 on May 12, 2016, 03:53:20 PM
a great warrior

http://www.the42.ie/matthew-macklin-retires-2765399-May2016/

He was indeed. Put in 2 great attempts at winning a World title. I actually never seen the fight with Strum before so I watched it there... actually could see how Strum could have been deemed the winner in that. He had much more cleaner punches than Macklin who threw many more punches, depends how you are scoring it, defo the kind of decision you get at home tho.

On a side note did Strum ever attempt to avoid a punch by moving his body? he's all gloves and elbows.

Pity the Andy Lee or John Duddy fight never materialised but sure thats pro boxing

Syferus

Mayweather openly talking about fighting McGregor now. More than likely just a ploy that benefits both camps in their negotiations with other entities but still if McGregor had the option he'd be mad to turn it down, the money would be absolutely outrageous even if Mayweather was getting the bigger cut.

bridgegael

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2016, 04:29:23 PM
Mayweather openly talking about fighting McGregor now. More than likely just a ploy that benefits both camps in their negotiations with other entities but still if McGregor had the option he'd be mad to turn it down, the money would be absolutely outrageous even if Mayweather was getting the bigger cut.

Saw that interview!  The boys are at it!  They are having a right laugh.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

JimStynes

McGregors wouldn't lay a glove on him

BennyHarp

Quote from: JimStynes on May 14, 2016, 07:26:32 PM
McGregors wouldn't lay a glove on him

And would get picked off all night long, Floyd could really embarrass him! This fight won't happen!
That was never a square ball!!

JimStynes

McGregor walks around the ring with his chin up like a lighthouse. Mayweather would stop him!

BennyHarp

A quick question regarding the points awarded in boxing. I was watching a programme on Boxnation and analyst Barry Jones said something along the lines of if there's a knockdown or point deduction, you score the round first and then take away the point second.

Example: Someone's winning the round 10-9, they get knocked down so that makes the round 9-9?

I always thought it was just an automatic 10-8 to the guy who scored the knockdown regardless of who was winning the round... Is this wrong?

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 14, 2016, 11:11:47 PM
A quick question regarding the points awarded in boxing. I was watching a programme on Boxnation and analyst Barry Jones said something along the lines of if there's a knockdown or point deduction, you score the round first and then take away the point second.

Example: Someone's winning the round 10-9, they get knocked down so that makes the round 9-9?

I always thought it was just an automatic 10-8 to the guy who scored the knockdown regardless of who was winning the round... Is this wrong?

My understanding is the former Benny tho it almost always works out 10-8 regardless. Interestingly I think Khan-Maidana rd 10 worked out at 10-8 without a knockdown.

CiKe

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 15, 2016, 12:10:25 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 14, 2016, 11:11:47 PM

Think you can have 9-9 definitely if one falla is winning the round but gets knocked down (would need to be winning round handily). 10-8 without a knockdown not that uncommon if one of them is getting a pasting.

My understanding is the former Benny tho it almost always works out 10-8 regardless. Interestingly I think Khan-Maidana rd 10 worked out at 10-8 without a knockdown.

BennyHarp

So a flash knock down doesn't necessarily cost you a round then?

Medic

Max Kellerman really knows his boxing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHg3br1bpc

Eta: ESPN First Take debate Gennady GGG Golovkin vs Floyd Mayweather... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqulXAOQJ9k
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 15, 2016, 11:48:11 AM
So a flash knock down doesn't necessarily cost you a round then?

Unless you return the knockdown then it generally will cost you the round as far as I know.  The only exception to that is if you have to factor in a point deduction for fouls. That's the only way I think you could get a 9-9 round.

If fighter A knocks fighter B down and goes on to win the round then it's 10-8. If fighter B gets knocked down and goes on to win the round then it would be scored 10-9 in fighter A's favour.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."