Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on April 27, 2016, 07:38:02 PM
Vlad beat alot of blown up cruiserweights he could paw away (illegally) with his big jab. Met a half decent big guy with a longer reach who could do the same to him and he was fûcked. Him continually clinching inside rather than trying to mix it with the big man really put paid to the idea he has a high boxing IQ. One note is the best way to describe him tbh.

I always had the same view on Vlad, his success was down to his size and reach advantage more than anything else.  The past few years I was harping on that Fury would beat him and he did, quite comfortably too.  People say that Vlad had an off day etc, but it was simply a case of when faced with someone he couldn't control with his reach and it came down to pure boxing ability, Fury is simply better.  Fury should win the rematch too and hopefully set up a few big fights with Haye, Fury etc.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Kovalev v Andre Ward signed apparently. Probably the best match up of the year.
That was never a square ball!!

CiKe

Quote from: TF15 on April 27, 2016, 09:58:42 PM
GGG a small enough middleweight is hardly going to jump two weight classes to fight Kova and Ward who are operating at Light Heavy. He's a genuine middleweight and wants to clear up the division but today it's an absolute nightmare to get unification fights, especially for GGG. If Canelo avoids him I'll be gutted. Billy Joe Saunders will do his very best to avoid him at all costs too.

The criticism of Klitschko is valid. He always had a thick sponge underlay under the canvas so it was hard to move and only he trained with such a canvas thus giving him an advantage. The Furys stood up to Klitschko (who is a control freak) on the canvas and hand wraps (wrapped his hands without a member of Furys team present). Wlad and Vitali were bad for the heavyweight scene as they fought only in Germany and had boring styles (more so Wlad), so I hope Fury wins setting up some good fights with Joshua, Wilder and Haye. Wlad seemed pissed off at today's press conference, he really hates Fury's antics and has the bit between his teeth, will it result in a more aggressive and positive performance.... I'm not sure!

Didn't realize Ward had already stepped up in weight. GGG is not the tallest but is barrel chested and I would have him down to beat anyone at 168 with possible exception of ward. 175 May be a stretch but we can all dream...

Criticism of Wlad is absolutely fair, but one thing is criticism, another is saying his jab is illegal. Like him or loathe him it has been one of the best punches in any division over the past 10 years.

omaghjoe

Quote from: CiKe on April 30, 2016, 01:42:33 PM
Quote from: TF15 on April 27, 2016, 09:58:42 PM
GGG a small enough middleweight is hardly going to jump two weight classes to fight Kova and Ward who are operating at Light Heavy. He's a genuine middleweight and wants to clear up the division but today it's an absolute nightmare to get unification fights, especially for GGG. If Canelo avoids him I'll be gutted. Billy Joe Saunders will do his very best to avoid him at all costs too.

The criticism of Klitschko is valid. He always had a thick sponge underlay under the canvas so it was hard to move and only he trained with such a canvas thus giving him an advantage. The Furys stood up to Klitschko (who is a control freak) on the canvas and hand wraps (wrapped his hands without a member of Furys team present). Wlad and Vitali were bad for the heavyweight scene as they fought only in Germany and had boring styles (more so Wlad), so I hope Fury wins setting up some good fights with Joshua, Wilder and Haye. Wlad seemed pissed off at today's press conference, he really hates Fury's antics and has the bit between his teeth, will it result in a more aggressive and positive performance.... I'm not sure!

Didn't realize Ward had already stepped up in weight. GGG is not the tallest but is barrel chested and I would have him down to beat anyone at 168 with possible exception of ward. 175 May be a stretch but we can all dream...

Criticism of Wlad is absolutely fair, but one thing is criticism, another is saying his jab is illegal. Like him or loathe him it has been one of the best punches in any division over the past 10 years.

Ward is supposedly gonna fight Kovalev b4 the year is out so thats why he moved up, and he probably will considering that the fight is about as big as either of the two can generate. Should be good..... really could go either way, but I would go with Kovalev.

Dont know about GGG v either of these two,for a start both are alot bigger than he is.

Im guessing Golovkin would try and box Kovalev as he is a way bigger man with bombs in both hands, he defo wouldnt walk thru his punches in a hurry. Ward I dunno I still think that Golovkin could walk him down tho Ward would likely have enough power to keep him off. Either of these two bouts would be great to see and much better than Canelo v Golovkin which would end up the same way as the rest of Golovkins bouts IMO

JimStynes

great win for Jamie Conlon. An absolute tear up as well. Both men down a few times and both looked beat a few time but came back. Conlon with a lovey body shot to finish it!

JimStynes

I reckon Ward beats Kovalev at LH and GGG at 168. In my opinion he is underrated. The man is a genius but I don't know how bad the time off will have affected him. His most recent fight he looked OK. I don't think he lost a round and he wasn't fighting any mug either!

Syferus

Quote from: CiKe on April 27, 2016, 08:51:57 PM
Vlad beat alot of blown up cruiserweights he could paw away (illegally) with his big jab. Met a half decent big guy with a longer reach who could do the same to him and he was fûcked. Him continually clinching inside rather than trying to mix it with the big man really put paid to the idea he has a high boxing IQ. One note is the best way to describe him tbh.

What is illegal about the jab? Considered by many - who would know a lot more than me - to be the best jab since Larry Holmes. Think your judgement being clouded by fact his fights were boring by and large but shouldn't take away from him being good fighter. Be interesting rematch.

Calling it a jab is the wrong term for it. Most of the time it was a clubbing motion that doesn't even resemble a punch. Best jab in decades my arse - big tall lad who can club v poor fighters equals a lot of wins.

Ward v GGG would be one of the few fights I'd be very excited for. Whatever about numbers it would be one of the true super fights of our generation and a fascinating class of styles.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2016, 01:57:13 PM
Quote from: CiKe on April 27, 2016, 08:51:57 PM

What is illegal about the jab? Considered by many - who would know a lot more than me - to be the best jab since Larry Holmes. Think your judgement being clouded by fact his fights were boring by and large but shouldn't take away from him being good fighter. Be interesting rematch.

Calling it a jab is the wrong term for it. Most of the time it was a clubbing motion that doesn't even resemble a punch. Best jab in decades my arse - big tall lad who can club v poor fighters equals a lot of wins.

Your arse indeed. As for calling it illegal, what absolute nonsense  ::)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Gold

James DeGale is thoroughly unlikeable
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

CiKe

Quote from: Gold on May 01, 2016, 08:51:53 PM

100%. Every time he fights, hope he gets sparked. Would love GGG to fight him

nrico2006

Quote from: CiKe on May 01, 2016, 09:23:00 PM

DeGale thinks he is better than he is.  The Super Middleweight division is pretty poor at the minute and DeGale has not been too impressive in taking the title and defending it.  He doesn't have the power to trouble the best in the division and he tires something serious in fights.  Even at the weekend, against an average enough fighter, he took a fair bit of punishment.

As for Golovkin, he should stick to middleweight until he unifies the division and go no higher than SM.  As I said, the only thing that beats him apart from age is going up and fighting someone who is a lot bigger.  I think Kovalev will beat Ward too, heard la while back that this fight is definitely happening in the Autumn and I cannot wait for it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 02, 2016, 09:09:40 AM
Quote from: CiKe on May 01, 2016, 09:23:00 PM

DeGale thinks he is better than he is.  The Super Middleweight division is pretty poor at the minute and DeGale has not been too impressive in taking the title and defending it.  He doesn't have the power to trouble the best in the division and he tires something serious in fights.  Even at the weekend, against an average enough fighter, he took a fair bit of punishment.

As for Golovkin, he should stick to middleweight until he unifies the division and go no higher than SM.  As I said, the only thing that beats him apart from age is going up and fighting someone who is a lot bigger.  I think Kovalev will beat Ward too, heard la while back that this fight is definitely happening in the Autumn and I cannot wait for it.

I agree re. Degale but his improvement has been impressive and he's not afraid to go and fight away from home which has to be respected. I'm excited about seeing how Callum Smith develops in this division. I think he has the potential to do a lot of damage, give him a year or so and a fight very GGG could be very interesting!
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Mayweather v McGregor??? Really???

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2016, 02:31:07 PM

Have no idea what your source is but no, not really. Will never happen.

Khan Canelo this weekend. Whatever's people's thoughts on Khan, he's bloody good to watch and this is a brave, brave move.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: gallsman on May 06, 2016, 03:02:35 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2016, 02:31:07 PM

Have no idea what your source is but no, not really. Will never happen.

Khan Canelo this weekend. Whatever's people's thoughts on Khan, he's bloody good to watch and this is a brave, brave move.

Khan a massive underdog....

Does he have a chance...

He's hit the canvas a few times but how he stayed up against Maidana I will never know.....